ICM 1/48 P-51 SAAF Korea

T

T. van Vuuren

I have just started my ICM 1/48 P-51D that I will be painting to represent the Mustprangs flown by the South African Air Force during the Korean war by no 2 Sqn at K-10 Chinhae.

They were all bare matal with SAAF roundals - Blue outer, white inner and an orrange springbuck in the middle.

The kit is well detailed, but the instrucktions are very basic.I have been spoilt by the good Academy instructions. There are also no locator pins to join major parts :sad:

Will post pix of the cockpit tub a little later.

Any advice on joining stuff without locator pins???

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice project Theuns. I would suggest taping the mayor components together and running thin cement into the joins by capillary action.

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Yes that is about the only thing I can think of aswell.

The cockpit is mostly completed and the detail is actually very good, this is the first ICM I have built and the parts are OK.

T

F

Fenlander

The ICM RAF Mustang was the first 'real' kit I did. The problem with the lack of location pins really is not that big a problem as I find myself cutting them off models now to ensure proper alignment of parts. Be careful putting tape on though as the liquid cement may wick along the edge of the tape etching lines around your fuselage.

I found the best way to do it was to roughly line things up with a rubber band around the nose to hold them roughly in line. I then worked from the tail by aligning the vertical fin and running a little liquid cement onto the edges, not too much or it can flood and go under your fingers leaving fingerprints etched in the surface.

By doing a few inches at a time and working my way around the whole fuselage seem, the rubber banded nose lets the two parts move as you line it up, I managed to get a really good join.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Something like thisTheuns
hi theuns , looks great, cant wait to see it. Hows the spammie coming on by the way? cheers tony

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx for the tips guys

Tony I still need to buy another set of SAAF decals for the T-6 as the ones I paid for got loast in the post :sad:

Will do so in the next weeks to come and post some pix.I have a cool idea of how to "present" the Spammy wich will be rather interesting.

The only pitty with the SAAF mustprangs is that they were rather boring and bland compared to some USAF planes of WW-2.But atleast the insignea is nice. :smiling:

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

well the fuselarge went together without a hich, I am rather happy with that!

T

F

Fenlander

Glad it worked out OK. I know when I did mine I posted a similar question as to how you were supposed to line it up. Especially as the Mustang has a huge gap underneath where the lower wing section goes but in reality, it does go together quite nicely. Not the exact same kit but I was very pleased with the outcome of mine.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
One of my piccies you already have. Here are the other SAAF ones,all off t'internet.

I don't think they've got wires.

One labelled as being one of our Aussie friends,but the fin flash looks to be S.A. orange to me. Shame we can't see the spinner. Also without a wire (I think).

And finally the one in ROK markings which definitely has a wire. The pilot doesn't look very Korean!

Cheers

Steve

Edit: Pictures taken of aircraft in the U.S.,pre-delivery, will also show the antenna wire. This was for the "Detrola" radio system. The Detrola was used stateside for short-range, receive-only, low(er) frequency comm for weather and airport info, etc, that the VHF radio (being tuned for higher frequencies) couldnt receive. This equipment was removed before the aircraft were delivered abroad.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

T. van Vuuren

Hey Steve, exelent pix mate, thanx!

You are correct, I don't see any wires either, well it just makes it easier for me.

As a matter of interest, in the second last pic, there seems to be a "streak" of sorts comming from a small hole approx 6" above the wing root fairing at the LE.Any idea of what it might be?

As you no doubt know the same Sqn later flew the F-86f's in the same silver with yellow/blackk bands as on USAF 86's, but wit the springbok roundals, that will be a nice "dio" with the P-51 , or to be more correct the F-51D.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

That first pic realy shows the exhaust stains well!

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
As a matter of interest, in the second last pic, there seems to be a "streak" of sorts comming from a small hole approx 6" above the wing root fairing at the LE.Any idea of what it might be?
You can see some kind of aperture in that area in the picture of the chap sitting on the wing. I don't know but maybe it's some kind of breather venting a fluid. It will be an interesting detail on your model.

Cheers

Steve