ICM 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XVI

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst waiting for the finishing touches on my Bugatti to dry ( pictures later today ). I decided to start another build, as the Knyaz Suvorov will have long periods waiting for the sea to dry.............................
icm spitfire xvi.jpg
It's a bit of a mainstream subject for me - I can't remember the last time I made a Spitfire, it must be decades ago! The ICM XVI dates from 2009, and it's not one of their latest mouldings - it has the option of displaying a full engine, open gun bays, but I'm dong it buttoned up. I'll be putting up some sprue shots before I start. One immediate comment is the instructions, an A4 sheet folded in half with the assembly, and another with the colour schemes. The construction sheet has tiny spidery drawngs - I had to get my magnifying glass out to see some of them! I have downloaded the instructions from the ICM website, so, at least I can blow them up to a readable size ( for me ).
Dave

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice choice Dave, that range of kits has tiny instruction-sheets indeed :nerd:
Have fun!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice Dave Spitfire Fever must be in the Air I re- visited my Spitfire build yesterday. Keep us posted looks like it might be a great build if you can get pass the small bits.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A few detail shots

DSCF1557.JPGDSCF1558.JPGDSCF1565.JPG
There are a lot of parts to be used on other marks - including gun bay doors..................
DSCF1564.JPG
The engine - which I will only be useing a few parts to locate the exhausts

DSCF1562.JPG
DSCF1560.JPGDSCF1561.JPGDSCF1563.JPGDSCF1566.JPGDSCF1559.JPG
Reasonably crisp, the panel lines are rather shallow, and may vanish under paint.
I'm going to make this with cowlings & gunbays closed. There are two marking variants, I haven't decided which to go for, yet, but there isn't any physical difference between the two.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Oops - started on this & forgot to take any pictures. Well cockpit assembled & detail painted ( don't bother to fit the two oxygen bottles in the port side rear fuselage - they get in the way, and are invisible! ), seat belts added from masking tape, then the fuselage halves joined.......................
DSCF1569.JPG
The cockpit is well detailed & fits pretty well, after edge clean up - follow the instruction sequence, and it should go together easily ( I didn't! ). The exhausts are attached to the outer parts of the engine banks - so that they will fit nicely behind the cutouts in the cowling & give some gluing area. I think the front cowling will be the next area of assembly, as I suspect there will be a load of chances to mismatch parts
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Further progress - the fit is a not as good as I thought - the gunbay covers needed a lot of filing & trimming to get a good surface. I thought I was going to have a bit of a tussle with the cowlings - and I did, but not where I expected. I had to fill the rear.............
DSCF1571.JPG
I then realised I had to fit the wings, before adding the lower cowling - oh well - I added the rudder & elevators as well. I think any fit problems are due to the age of the moulds, as there is a lot of hairline flash which needs careful removal, but dry fitting shows the dodgy areas. I could have helped myself by fitting the engine ( albeit a stripped down version ) to locate the exhausts & prop shaft. As it is the front end was just flapping around & needed careful help to be aligned............
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Dave.

ATB.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After filler & a rubdown - overall light grey primer.........................
DSCF1572.JPG
.....which immediately shows areas that need a little extra work. Hopefully, I'll be able spray the underside with Medium Sea Grey tomorrow. The upper surfaces are Ocean Grey & Dark Green with one sprayed & the other brushed masking off the lower surfaces...............
Dave

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
After filler & a rubdown - overall light grey primer.........................
View attachment 419635
.....which immediately shows areas that need a little extra work. Hopefully, I'll be able spray the underside with Medium Sea Grey tomorrow. The upper surfaces are Ocean Grey & Dark Green with one sprayed & the other brushed masking off the lower surfaces...............
Dave
HI Dave very nice indeed , was that the last spit ever made, , sure come a long way since the Mark-1A I am building, very close , will have to get that model one day, I be at my build for at least 12 months , keep the good work up Tony from down under, my model is the third Spitfire

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
HI Dave very nice indeed , was that the last spit ever made, , sure come a long way since the Mark-1A I am building, very close , will have to get that model one day, I be at my build for at least 12 months , keep the good work up Tony from down under, my model is the third Spitfire
Tony,
the Mk.XVI was the last Merlin engined Spitfire ( actually a Packard Merlin ), after that the Griffon engined models went up to the last variant, the Mk.24 ( 1948 ), and were in front line service until 1952.
Dave

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Dave, first you've definitely beaten that into shape, it's looking really good.

On another note, the Mk XVI I've almost finished (TE203) was still being used in a training role in the early 1950s. It was finally declared Category 5 (beyond economic repair) in September 1954!

You are right that they were largely replaced in a front line role by the early '50s, but there were still plenty on the roster in other roles.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave, first you've definitely beaten that into shape, it's looking really good.

On another note, the Mk XVI I've almost finished (TE203) was still being used in a training role in the early 1950s. It was finally declared Category 5 (beyond economic repair) in September 1954!

You are right that they were largely replaced in a front line role by the early '50s, but there were still plenty on the roster in other roles.
A lot of them soldiered on in the Auxiliary Air Force, until that was disbanded in 1957. My XVI is TB673, serving with 74 squadron in 1945
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sprayed the underside with MSG, then masked up & sprayed the upper surfaces with Ocean Grey. I then brush painted the Dark Green Camo patches.....................
DSCF1573.JPGDSCF1574.JPG
Just a little more masking, for the yellow leading edges, then an overall gloss spray before decalling - this is now going at a rush!
Dave
ps the white blob on the nose in the upper picture is an errant piece of masking tape, that I didn't notice until I posted the piccy!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Yellow leading edges & prop tips painted, then overall gloss varnish, ready for decals
DSCF1576.JPG
I actually won another ICM 1/48 Spitfire on ebay - one bid, that I placed last week very nice discount, - it's the HF Mk.VII in a high altitude finish, that is rather unusual...............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
All decals added - unusual for me, as I generally leave off the smaller items................... the wing walk decals are a real fiddle to get straight, but luckily, the ICM decals are pretty tough.
DSCF1577.JPGDSCF1578.JPGDSCF1579.JPG
I'll leave this overnight, then seal with gloss varnish. I'll add the undercarriage and the bombs, then a touch of weathering - The next pictures will appear in the 'completed' section.....................
Dave

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Tony,
the Mk.XVI was the last Merlin engined Spitfire ( actually a Packard Merlin ), after that the Griffon engined models went up to the last variant, the Mk.24 ( 1948 ), and were in front line service until 1952.
Dave
HI Dave, thanks the spitfire had a great run lasting that long , did she fly in the Korean war , you did a great job of the painting , I am glad my build comes painted already. Tony