ICM prod.no. 35414 1:35 V3000S/SS M Maultier with shelter

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Hi all

For a long while, I have had this beautiful vehicle sitting in my stack of next-to-build kits. Maybe for 3 years or something...

Kit link to scalemates: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/266094-icm-35414-v3000s-ss-m-maultier-with-shelter

I finally got around to it, and have had an experience similar to the one I had when I built my first ICM kit, the "Moskvitch" civil passenger car: There is a rather high occurrence of mold lines on both large and small parts, which holds back progress and building enjoyment, even though the parts are highly detailed and of a high quality otherwise. Almost no flash, which is nice!

The instructions are vague, and left me guessing several times with regard to engine assembly, exhaust, and placement of the cabin on the frame. Not ok. I suspect this is the reason there is a huge gap between the steps and cab, as well as between the engine hood and the cab, both of which probably should not be there. I can live with it. I intend to make the hood loose, so I can lift it off and look at the engine, which is something I practically always go for :smiling:

Fit issues with putting together the cabin parts, and the engine hood.

The subject is what made me buy this kit, and I have to say that even though I always enjoy modelling, my two experiences with ICM so far (especially the wealth of mold lines and the vague instructions, something which was common between the two kits) makes me hesitant to buy any more of theirs.

I did not manage to choose a good red oxide colour this time around (VMC burnt cadmium red), or I failed to mix it properly, despite my belief to the contrary. Either way, with each failure, I usually just feel that I've learned something for next time :smiling:

The tracks are link and length, and they were VERY brittle when cutting them off the sprue. In my case, I managed to ruin so many, I only had just enough to build the prescribed number in the instructions. I hope that is enough, haha! They are now being weathered in part before putting them onto the model, with 4 kinds of Vallejo acrylic washes done with a single pass of a brush.

First progress pictures are unfortunately not in a high resolution, and I will refrain from using my phone in the future, I think. Let me know if there is anything you would like higher res-pictures of!

Comments and constructive criticism is always welcome!

Happy modelling!

Attachments

• IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Christian .
Nice introduction to the build. Do you always paint every thing before assembly, as in your T34. ? And how do you then achieve a good glue line, remove some paint ?
John.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Christian,
nice start. Like you I try to paint as much as I can before assembly, I find it easier that way - I'm always astonished at some modellers virtually completing a model, before getting the paint out!
I'm a great fan of ICM models, and have made quite a few of their softskins. The V3000 maultier dates from 2013 - and ICM have stepped up their game in the last few years - their Panhard French armoured car is a little gem! Yes, the parts are fragile, and at times, the instructions can be a little vague, but the end results are worth it.
Their recent aircraft are good, as well, I made the 1/48 Mig-25RBT earlier this year, and it was one of the best fitting models I have ever made, and I was really pleased with the result.
Dave

Reactions: JR

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Actually, what I do is assemble as much as possible which is all to be painted in the same colour.

That means, once I get to spray painting (I do not use an airbrush), I have completed, separate sections of the build, e.g. the cabin of a car, the doors (because the windows must not be painted), the wheels, the engine, tracks for tracked vehicles, tools on a tank, etc. (It's the same approach which actually slows down aircraft builds, because the cockpit has to be completed before the rest of the build can proceed.)

I usually do not have any problems with glue destroying paint afterwards. I use Tamiya extra thin for post-paint assembly, and take great care in using minimal glue, shaking the glue brush in the glass, so only a very thin line is applied to a surface.

This usually works well as it does not eat the Vallejo and Army Painter acrylic paints, I find, but I have found at least one exception: cheaply glossed parts! (I don't know if Vallejo's gloss varnish would be more resistant to the Tamiya extra thin glue). I can show you an unfortunate example from the ICM Moskvitch build (the front part of the roof):

IMG_0176.JPGIMG_0174.JPGIMG_0175.JPG

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Christian,
nice start. Like you I try to paint as much as I can before assembly, I find it easier that way - I'm always astonished at some modellers virtually completing a model, before getting the paint out!
I'm a great fan of ICM models, and have made quite a few of their softskins. The V3000 maultier dates from 2013 - and ICM have stepped up their game in the last few years - their Panhard French armoured car is a little gem! Yes, the parts are fragile, and at times, the instructions can be a little vague, but the end results are worth it.
Their recent aircraft are good, as well, I made the 1/48 Mig-25RBT earlier this year, and it was one of the best fitting models I have ever made, and I was really pleased with the result.
Dave

I won this at an eBay auction about half a year ago: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/976259-icm-35375-panhard-178-amd-35-command
So it is certainly encouraging to read your comment on that kit.

I have yet to buy one of ICM's 1:48 scale airplanekits (which I would use for the 1:56 Bolt Action WWII wargame), I have mostly Eduard and Dragon. Got a 1:32 ICM Polikarpov kit which I am excited to build one day, though.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Christian,
that's the very model! Has a complete interior & enginepanfin02.jpg
I liked it so much, I bought another! - the Revell boxing of this, as in German service
I made the Polikarpov, but in 1/48th - tricky, but nice model!
Dave