ICM's New 1/16 Roman Centurion

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_6417.JPG

I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of ICM's latest figure in the UK, and at last I've managed to get hold of one. I won't start it straight away, but thought I'd set up a thread and give some initial impressions.

The contents of the box:

100_6418.JPG100_6419.JPG100_6413.JPG100_6414.JPG100_6424.JPG

The first thing to note that the box shown on Hannants is different from the one supplied in that it states that a decal sheet is included. The info has been removed from the front of the actual box and there are no decals. and none mentioned in the instructions. I was expecting one for the shield, but the design has been very lightly etched instead:

100_6415.JPG

This would test the skills of most modellers, but I'll try painting it first, and if that doesn't work out, I have a suitable Miniart decal that may suit.

Similarly the patterns on the sword and dagger sheaths are very lightly etched, and are likely to be filled with the first layer of paint, as happened when I built ICM's viking figure. Again, I'll have to see what happens.

Apart from the moans, the kit looks to be well sculpted and cleanly moulded. The lamellar armour is crisply done and there are some nice medallions to decorate the harness.

Bear with me while I finish my Redcoat bust.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Peter. I have some 28mm Romans to do later, so your work will be useful as a reference...

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter,
The omission of a decal sheet for such a large area as the shield, makes the model much more difficult to finish well.,Poor painters like myself might be inclined to try and make masks, at least for the general outlines, or even make their own decals........
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - I bet you do a better job at 28mm.

Dave - I would have expected a decal for the shield at least. I will give painting it a go, and is that doesn't work I have a couple of alternatives.

Greg - Welcome. Not quite ready to start yet. Mt Redcoat bust will need at least another day.

D

Deleted member 6559

Did a search on Google and found out that Peddinghaus do a 1/16 Roman shield decal. Ordered one from a US company at £5 dollars, only to find my PayPal account poorer by over $30!!! Turns out it's a fraudulent site and I am now trying to get PayPal to cancel the payment. Rotten b*****ds.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a bit of a bugger Peter.....hope you get it sorted out....I’m sure you can freehand it anyway.....after all, the originals were painted like that.
i know I won’t do a better job, by the way, I’ve told you before it’s all smoke and mirrors at 28mm, not real painting.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Tim - I wish I'd had the confidence and not resorted to that site. I was finally able to open a dispute with PayPal one the seller had accepted the payment - they bought themselves a giftcard with the money. To be fair, PayPal did notice the unusual activity and blocked my account. This is the second one in a week. Grrrrr!

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter

it looks a nice kit - shame about the lack of a decal, but I'm sure you can paint the pattern.

peter

D

Deleted member 6559

I'll give it a go Peter. If it doesn't work there are a couple of other options.

D

Deleted member 6559

On to this one then. I sense a bit of a buzz around the release of this kit in the figure-painting community - the first U-Tube review has appeared and given it a big thumbs-up.

Doing some research, I came across the obvious source in an Osprey book:

100_6442.JPG

I think I'll go for the same colouring.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
‘What have the Romans ever done for us?’ !
great looking kit Peter , Shame about the change of mind regarding the decal , perhaps ICM thought it might have had trouble curving round the shield ? Anyway I’ve got full confidence in your ability to paint it . Cautionary tale with the PayPal incident too , you never know sometimes do you , despite PayPal getting a lot of flak for their charges it’s good that you’re covered against stuff like this. Cheers tony

D

Deleted member 6559

Tony - funny, but whenever I tackle a Roman subject Bwian comes up - Lark's tongues, otter's noses?

I've dug out an old Miniart shield from a completed figure now 'resting', just in case my painting attempts go wrong. I've hit a couple of problems with the build, though nothing too serious. More later.....

Tim - that's the stuff!

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - :thumb2:

Partially built, all cleaned up and ready for painting:

100_6453.JPG100_6448.JPG

The build was not too bad. There were one or two fit issues and some parts were a bit over-engineered - the arms for example were in five parts, which was a bit silly. As I experienced with the ICM Viking, the delicate engraving was all but lost on things like the wrist guards because of the sanding and filling required, so I ended up smoothing them off completely. I'd say that was the only real drawback with the figure - that the detail is somewhat delicate and easily lost.

The other problem I had was with the u-shaped support for the crest, which was supplied in two very delicate parts and which I managed to snap into several pieces. I had to make a new one, then shape the crest to fit it. There was a bit of filler needed, but hopefully it will look OK once painted.

I also dug out the Miniart shield and a spear I made for another figure:

100_6444.JPG

I fancy depicting him with a sheathed sword and holding the spear.

First Name
Andrew
OK he’s a Wo man soldier but I will not add any rude comments this time. I’ll watch quietly from the shadows,as usual, but still hoping that you find enjoyment from him.
Ive just noticed on the enlarged photo that the shield has outlines engraved. A man of your obvious skill should be helped by that. We all know that you could do it. Have a go, unless it would be too painful.
If I hadn’t been in such a rush I would have read you first post properly!
Andy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

Very restrained of you Andy!

Yes there is a design engraved on the shield. I will attempt it, but I'm unsure of which colours to use 0 yellow/gold will be very thin, so perhaps white for the wings etc?

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Looks like everything is ready for a good days painting

Even a Sub for the shield lined up too.

Floods all over the North, and as expected the Calder Valley yet again!

We have snow predicted for tomorrow as a dessert to Ciara's main course!

Have a good day.

I'm gong to hibernate LOL

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - Clear skies and high winds here. Several big branches littering the road and lots of sirens.
Batten down the hatches for the snow up t'North.

On to the face today and it's ages since I painted one this small.