Identification for airbrush hose and hose-end?

J

johnpipe108

I recently purchased the Badger Model 250-2 Basic Spray Gun Set, as I've never used one before. Got the can of propel, but haven't had a chance to use anything yet, and I will be moving back to my old apartment soon after January 4.

I also acquired, a couple weeks later, at the local "Flea," an old Badger Model 180-11 compressor ($30USD, reasonably cheap), for which I need to order a new air filter, and it came with a hose, but not for the current Badger brushes/guns.

I've read the general "How-To" on the forum, and will obviously need some accessories for smoothing and controlling the air, besides a new hose and/or adapter for the small black hose that comes with the basic kit.

Here's a general view of the compressor and hose:

Here are two views of the outboard hose-end, for which I would like to know "what is this connector and what product is it for?"

Here's the end with the threaded sleeve (fine-thread, about 3/8in I believe):

Here's the same with the sleeve withdrawn, showing the 1/4in OD nose, with neoprene "O" ring:

Thank you very much for any info on this hose and connector.

Regards,

John

M

MrTin

John, that hose looks exactly like my Paasche one, right down to the tartan colouring! The bigger end should fit your little compressor ( I used to have something similar, fine for the job). If you need a fitting to allow the Badger hose on the compressor, you can get a 1/2" pipe-to-Badger-thread adaptor piece from most suppliers. But if that IS a Paasche hose, I'd be very inclined to buy the basic $37 Model H to go with it. A superb airbrush of which I have two, one for colour, one for clear.

Cheers,

Martin

J

johnpipe108

\ said:
BTW, how the HELL do you take such superb photos????Martin
I suppose much of the credit must go to the FujiFilm S3100 FinePix digital camera; which is not too complicated for me to use. I always use a tripod, as I'm generally too shaky without one. The S3100 has a "macro" mode for close in which works pretty well. I do try to think about composition rules at times, and sometimes I get it right!

I'm always trying think of a good background to improvise (sometimes I succeed there too); the end photo needed the hose-end elevated, and held for the second, so I used the top of an old box that myFoster Sister recently gave me (looks like it was a Mil-spec box once, it's OD on the bottom and inside, but seems to have the exterior paint stripped and replaced with some kind of "varnish" finish). BTW, the clothes-pin was trimmed and decorated to make an improvised stand-in 5ft-6in "sub sailor" at 1:24.

Hope that helps answer the question.

Regards, John

T

tecdes

Hello John hope you are well. Little while since we heard from you.

Nice to hear you have your home back in order again & can start attacking the models again.

Happy Christmas.

Laurie

M

MrTin

Looks like I'l have to get that tripod out. Now where did I put it.....

I also have a Fuji, albeit two very old ones and a new Vivitar that just will NOT take a nice picture. Blurred, poor light, etc. I used to take pictures like yours with my film cameras, but can't get the hang of digitals

I hope you get your airbrush problems sorted out.

Cheers,

Martin

J

johnpipe108

It's an Iwata hose!

On a hunch, I took a short trip to the local art supply, as it's just across the car park from the supermarket. Inquired on what they stocked in the airbrush line, and had a look at their goods. One compressor, a Badger 250 basic kit with included small propel can (boxed set), one Paasche and one Iwata brush; the more expensive brushes (IIRC they were both priced about $145USD) included the compressor hose and cleaning accessories.

I asked, and looked at the hoses; the Iwata matches the hose I inquired about above. Largest connector, and I just found on googling that there are adaptors for various airbrushes for other manufacturer's hoses, including one set of three for Iwata hose to Badger, Paasche, and one other, and a single (apparently made by Badger, but maybe discontinued) to connect a Badger to the Iwata hose.

The shop had only the Badger braided hose available as a single, so picked up one of those to be able to get started and testing. I found the Badger 250 instruction sheet online, and it mentioned that some minor leakage is expected, and I found this to be true, especially on the 1/8" Badger coupling which has no real seal, the connector ends making a butt-contact joint. The Badger hose did not seal as easily on the compressor as the Iwata, taking little wrench torque (I could not find my Teflon tape, it's still packed up somewhere); I like the Iwata hose better, and it makes an airtight compressor seal with only a good finger tightening, so will probably order either the Master 3-piece adaptor set or the Badger single-adaptor, don't know yet. It will be some while before I decide what I need in a second (detail) brush, the 3/4" to 2" pattern of the basic will take care of large areas on the big models.

I was surprised to discover on a general airbrush search, that "Harbor Fright" has a couple airbrushes, look like knock-offs of the big name brands; surprising that a couple pro's (who know how to use and care for brushes) found them generally quite adequate for T-shirt and other art-type work, though most folk who tried them recommended the more expensive of the two. For model detailing I would stick to good name brands.

I know what you mean about film cameras, there are times when I miss the relative ease of my 4 x 5 Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic, with the rock-steady Crown Jr. tripod, complete with Graphic Pan-Tilt head, and the original hinged wooden tilt adapter. Those camera bodies were made from Cuban Mahogany, and the tripods I believe were Cherry. Of course, I don't really miss the darkroom work and the chemicals, though it sure was fun back in the day! Those goodies are long gone to me now, pity I did not keep them though I doubt I could afford to feed them silver film in today's economy!

Regards, John