"I'll pass buttons out that say...

First Name
Drew
...Beautiful People. Then you'll never have to be alone, cause, there'll always be someone with the same button on as you..."

Here's the Hippie conversion of a VW Bus.

There are a few things that went wrong with it but it came out looking okay at the other end!

I know that there are points that could have been better (such as better sanding of filler at the back door) but I'm happy enough to call it finished, just need to get a display case for it.

View attachment 41036

View attachment 41037

View attachment 41038

View attachment 41039

View attachment 41040

View attachment 41041

View attachment 41042

1 [1024x768].JPG

2 [1024x768].JPG

3 [1024x768].JPG

4 [1024x768].JPG

5 [1024x768].JPG

6 [1024x768].jpg

7 [1024x768].JPG

P

Polux

It's a really VW Bus Hippie!!! I see so nice Drew, and I like the "complements"!!!

The póster show 3 days concert... What times before...

Congrats!

Polux

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job drew,really nice build, cheers tony

R

Richy C

Nice work Drew looks a nice clean build , nice to see something different mate and with that colour scheme and decals it is a bit different I must say LOL.

First Name
Dave
Thats a great looking build.i wouldnt worry about the filler on the boot.I think it looks like rust bubbling under the paint just like you might get on the real thing.I like the magic mushroom mural decal.Brings back memories!.

B

Boldman

hehe surely its way too clean for a hippie camper van :smiling3:

Looks great!

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice overhaul Drew.

Hope it didn't go through the car wash with that open roof -HeHe

:tulip:Love and peace man.

Tony.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
...Beautiful People. Then you'll never have to be alone, cause, there'll always be someone with the same button on as you..."
B****y hellfire! A Melanie fan!! I knew there must be more than 3 - which was the total number of folks I know who like her music.

I've only ever been to one live music show in my life (Sad I know!) and that was to see her when she appeared in Worcester 3 or 4 years ago. I think I worked out she was 61, but I was still absolutely thrilled to hear her. I wish I'd had the sense to go see her when she was at the top of her form.

Gern

PS Beautiful camper!

PPS My son in law is a VW fanatic and has one of these which he still uses occasionally for weekends on the coast. I bet he'd wish his was as good as yours!

First Name
Drew
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Yes, it is a bit clean but I'm going to dirty it up a little bit when I come to putting it in a display case, got some grass (no...not that kind!!) and some ground to put on so I'll be putting some road dust and such on the van. Don't want to put much more inside it. I think a Rolling Stone, Woodstock leaflet and bag are enough.

The body of it was an absolute nightmare to build. Not counting windows (which were all inserted individually) and door handles, the body came in at least 10 parts. Getting them all to line up was a challenge to say the least.

Gern, that's the only Melanie song I've ever heard. It's on a 4 disc Woodstock box-set I have and I just love her voice and the lyrics to that song. Definitely going to be checking out more of her stuff.

S

Shuftie

Hi Drew

I am still working on this build and am working on the same kit as you! But a bit of a different take on it. I hope to have it finished in a couple of weeks and be able to share.

But great bus.

Stephen

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I must have missed this first time around. Great job,I'm sure I saw a few of those parked around Kangaroo Valley a.k.a. Earls Court back in the day.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Same here Steve, I missed it too, a very nice model Drew.

I actually had a real one the same as your model, except mine wasn't a left hooker and it didn't have the sliding roof either.

Yep, all those windows!

When the present Mrs. Ron and I married in 1970 we had a 'G' reg. Mini Cooper. When our first child arrived we had to get rid...That's when we bought our V.W..It had 6v electrics, velour upholstery and solid ash timber work inside and real chrome all over it!

The heater was a tube that came up through the floor by the dash board, trouble was the 'hot' air was ducted from the engine in the back and by the time it reached the front it was stone cold!

I was into scuba diving and surfing at the time and when we went away camping, the inflatable dinghy + outboard engine went in first followed by my diving gear, then the camping stuff. My surf board went in via the back lift up door...

Our son? He was last, shoved in his carry cot, fastened in on his belly, with a bit of rope (slack, so he could at least look around) pushed in through the same back door as my board, then placed on the nice warm shelf above the engine compartment and the back door slammed down, job done...off to the sea side! I can see him now, struggling, trying to sit up for the 2hrs. it took to get to the camp site. Toughen 'em up, I say!

Sadly, our 'vee dub' literally fell apart around us, too much salt air! We did get another, but that had a one piece windscreen, a very poor substitute!

Great and easy going days. Your model has certainly brought back some wonderful memories for both me and my wife.

Thank you

Ron

First Name
Drew
I'm glad you guys like it and glad it's brought back some good memories. At a "spritely" 36 I'm too young to remember these first time around but I feel I was born too late as I love all of the 60's fashions and music.

Stephen I'm looking forward to seeing how you've done yours. I love how two people can take the same model in totally different directions.

Incidentally, I've just bought another civillian auto for the stash (although I can see it getting done fairly soon) and have only just realised it's another VW!! A Karmann Ghia this time.

A

AJay

Great-looking VW bus!

P.S. I've always wanted a real one of these, but have you seen the prices?!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Great-looking VW bus! P.S. I've always wanted a real one of these, but have you seen the prices?!
Spot on there Alex, perhaps if mine had held together........hey ho!