I'm not new; sort of recycled really.

A

Alf Tupper

Hello everyone!

I am nearly five decades old, and got into scale modelling before I was ten due to my recently deceased maternal grandfather; ex RAF, he was actually more into OO model railways, with a lot of scratch building. He spent hours on building locos and rolling stock, and I suppose that's what I wanted to copy. But my uncle on that side of the family did Airfix kits, early 70's stuff, and I followed on, cos we all wanted to be Wing Commander Gibson, and fly in WWII. It's best that this is the closest I ever got to being a pilot.

My own dad did balsa wood flying aircraft from plans, no laser precut stuff. I went to a boarding school where one of the things you did to pass your time was scale modelling, so it all sort of gelled from that. It's from the days of Humbrol vs Airfix... Tamiya and Revell were unknown to us, and we all lusted after one of Airfix's 1:24 models. Most of the planes we made had a wonky propeller, a bent gun barrel, and the clear cockpit glass looked like the pilot was smoking inside it. Liquid poly glue was new. Primer was something you learnt Latin grammar from, and if you filed something it meant you put it into a folder.

After a lot of fun modelling everything between 5mm war games armies via 25mm war games armies through to 1:35 Tamiya tanks, I don't think there are many things with wings, tracks, or a weapon I haven't modelled. Having always been on a budget as a lad, I did an awful lot of making do, building dioramas with bits and bobs, using household emulsion paints that looked about right, and so on. And bit by bit it wore off as job, life etc got in the way.

My girlfriend's kids are now 12 and 16 and I saw some Level 1 Airfix kits in the supermarket last Christmas..... and so it began again. The urge to make kits I always wanted as a kid, when Christmas and birthdays were the only times you ever got a treat, reemerged. We've still got a real model shop in Rawtenstall, which I know is a rarity now compared to when I was a kid. I'm relearning so many lost skills, but enjoying it. It teaches patience when things go wrong and the cat steps in the paint, or the small Part 34 goes ping when you cut it off and is now somewhere on the floor, but more likely inside the vacuum cleaner. It is a form of masochism, a process that is hard to rush.

Anyway - hello. Here to ask for help rather than give advice!

Simon

So I've done in 1:72 a Bf109E and a Spitfire Mk IIa for the kids, plus a Spitfire Vb. Just made a complete mess of a Tamiya 1:48 Mosquito IV and now admitting to myself that the eyesight and hands are not quite what they used to be.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the clear cockpit glass looked like the pilot was smoking inside it.
You say that as if it’s not a normal thing to do.

b6f2c5fbe87e042d6e9ff635f10785c6.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Blimey, the tough of the track....comic royalty....at nearly five decades he must have been almost before your time.....him and Bernard Briggs were my hero’s as a kid....America had Batman and Superman....what did post war Britain have....Alf Tupper....Bernard Briggs, and Wilson...LOL.
Welcome aboard mate, don’t worry about the manual dexterity, that comes with practice, well up to a point....eyesight is a problem though, optivisor is your friend there....
If you have questions, ask away, someone will have an answer....

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ah..... a trip down memory lane........

Welcome Alf your on the right ward (ermm) forum, for sympathy, compassion, humor and help when you
need it.

Paul.
:smiling2:

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Alf, I'm patient no.203 from the ward (ermm) forum mentioned by Paul. Welcome aboard. They will be administering decal juice soon since your muttering of five decades through memory lane.:tears-of-joy: We have all got skeletons in the closet and I haven't found a way to not stick my fingers together with Cyno. I'm still confident there will be help. :smiling6::tears-of-joy:

Just kidding...enjoy your stay here.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Alf
What a great introduction, had me smiling as I read it .
You'll fit in here well, I see you've met my room mate Richard .
I'm in bed 9 , banned from having matches !
John .

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome along tighten your seat belt, arms inside the windows at all times. Remember if you want to go faster, you got to scream louder.

Fingers get stiff, eyes get weak it's natures way of saying 'OK you have the time and the money to go totally mad and build all the things you wanted as a kit, could not afford, was "busy" with the girlfriends, Drunk, hung over, out partying, or just good old fashioned out playing. (remember that).
The most important things we have on our side are patience, time and normally some form of home to do as we wish in.
Enjoy the come back. Build as and when you like (can) and things will be OK. (or so I am told).

Despite the outward appearance of us all being a bit 'affected' we are helpful and friendly bunch of addicts Model builders.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome Simon,
as you can see we're a weird bunch! ( Matt Braddock was my favourite! ). It's quite a usual thing for people to return to modelmaking after a gap - materials & techniques have changed a massive amount over the last decade, so, any questions at all, there's certain to be someone on the forum who'll know a solution!
Dave
p.s I'm sure no-one will hold it against you, coming from Lancashire! ( from an expat Yorkie )

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A warm welcome from me too Simon. Your intro. made for a good read.

As the ward here is full, I haven't been allowed a bed yet. If you call my name and I'll crawl out from somewhere. Probably from under Race's bed 9!

Have fun.
Ron