IMAI 1/12 Suzuki FY50

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just about classified as a motorcycle. When I was inspecting my stash for a less-than-valuable model ( see irresistable urge! ) I found this little dinky box ( can't remember where it came from )...................
imai suzuki.jpg
I just had to make this!
Sprue shots...............
DSCF2089.JPGDSCF2090.JPG
Apologies for the blur, the autofocus didn't like the plating ( I didn't either! )
DSCF2088.JPG
DSCF2091.JPG

First thing - get rid of that plating! It wouldn't be so bad if the plating wasn't applied over joint lines...........................
DSCF2092.JPG
Tesco Lemon thick bleach - an overnight soak should remove all the plating
Construction will start when the bleach has done it's magic!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Now that's rather cute!! Even at 1/12 it won't take up a lot of space!.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
I don't remember you building a motorbike before but you've built just about everything else :smiling: Cute little thing and must be a fair size at 1/12.
Jim

Reactions: JR

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Excellent Dave! I'll tag along, hopefully it will encourage me to get on with one of the many bike kits I seem to have acquired.....

Nick

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
I don't remember you building a motorbike before but you've built just about everything else :smiling: Cute little thing and must be a fair size at 1/12.
Jim
Jim.
I have made motorbikes before - I have two or three in the stash - but not for may years ( at least 5 )
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The fastest I have seen plating dissolve! I put it in the bleach at about 10 am
I looked at it at 1 pm...............................
DSCF2093.JPG

After several rinses in cold water...........................
DSCF2094.JPG
Either the Tesco bleach is stronger than I thought, or the IMAI plating is really susceptible................
The bleach doesn't seem to harm the plastic, although, if you left it to stew for a few days, that may be a different matter. Beats paying for proprietary stripper, or Fairey Power Spray!
Dave

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The fastest I have seen plating dissolve! I put it in the bleach at about 10 am
I looked at it at 1 pm...............................
View attachment 435698

After several rinses in cold water...........................
View attachment 435699
Either the Tesco bleach is stronger than I thought, or the IMAI plating is really susceptible................
The bleach doesn't seem to harm the plastic, although, if you left it to stew for a few days, that may be a different matter. Beats paying for proprietary stripper, of Fairey Power Spray!
Dave
Hi Dave
I have found Tamiya plating comes off that quickly in bleach. Plating is a pet hate of mine as well. You can’t remove mould lines without damaging it, and it doesn’t really glue well. How are you going to refinish the parts?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
I have found Tamiya plating comes off that quickly in bleach. Plating is a pet hate of mine as well. You can’t remove mould lines without damaging it, and it doesn’t really glue well. How are you going to refinish the parts?
Tim,
the alloy parts, like the wheels & chaincase will be finished in aluminium - chrome is a bit too bright. I might get the True Metal Silver out for the rest......................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I discovered why the plating came off faster than I expected. I cleaned up some of the parts, ready to assemble the engine ( cylinders & gearcase ). I applied TET, joined the parts - and they didn't stick! tried again, then went to Contacta - nope!. NOT polystyrene! I reckon it's something like ABS. I could use CA, but I've had a bottle of this stuff for ages........
DSCF2098.JPG
It's not very user friendly, it's rather thick and strings a bit ( like the old poly glue ), but it seems to work.........
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Is there any clear coating on the parts Dave? I’ve had some plating leave a clear coating behind after it was removed. The post cleaning shots look like there isn’t, but a closer look might show some.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Is there any clear coating on the parts Dave? I’ve had some plating leave a clear coating behind after it was removed. The post cleaning shots look like there isn’t, but a closer look might show some.
Tim,
that was my thought, initially, but I lightly sanded the joint faces & I still couldn't get it to stick with normal stuff..........
Dave

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Probably 2 stroke oil on the casings, ugly little thing init brings back memories of step though i had when i was younger much younger honda 70 funny thing is the amount of freedom it gave me hail rain or shine good luck.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Probably 2 stroke oil on the casings, ugly little thing init brings back memories of step though i had when i was younger much younger honda 70 funny thing is the amount of freedom it gave me hail rain or shine good luck.
I took my license on a Honda C50 Super - that was a four stroke engine - it didn't leak oil - unlike my subsequent Triumphs!
Dave

• Haha

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Good ol‘days when you had to be a mechanic not just a rider, my c70 would run allday then refuse for hours to start still have the welts from the kick starter but great times

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Honda was very reliable, but I was persuaded, after I'd passed my test to get a 'proper' motorbike. - A Triumph Tiger Cub. Bad move, it leaked oil, the electrics were shoddy - started OK from cold, but when it was warm it took ages ( usually bump start ). The brakes were about the same as the Honda, but the Triumph was a lot faster, and they weren't really up to it. All in all it was unreliable & cost quite a bit in spares to keep going. ( The Honda had a new spark plug & leads & that's it ) - I didn't learn from that, and replaced the Cub with a Tiger T100, which was even worse, same faults as the Cub, but much faster. I eventually wrote it off ( no real injury ), and I haven't ridden a motorbike since
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
…yes, but the Triumphs looked cool……
Seriously, engine power increase outstripped frame and brake technology up until the late seventies. I had a Yamaha 500 single from 1976 that had front disc brakes. They were great in the dry, but the first time I took it out in real wet weather I ended up putting my feet down to help it slow up……you couldn’t just use the back drum brake as that locked the wheel….thinking ahead became second nature after a short time, but the first few times out it was a sharp learning curve….