Imperial Gallery 120mm Falklands Gurkha

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7283.JPG

Once again I have been the lucky recipient of a generous gift from Richard Pearce; this figure and no less than five busts! Needless to say words just can't thank him enough. I will try to do justice to his thoughtfulness.

First up is this 120mm kit by The Imperial Gallery of a Gurkha during the Falklands conflict of 1982. He's depicted wearing an Argentine(?) parka, so there isn't too much of the dreaded DPM camo to paint. The box contains this lot:

100_7284.JPG

Loads of parts, mostly in grey resin, but with a few white metal pieces thrown in as well, all well cast and very nicely modelled.

Ayo Gurkhali!

eph3bpb5op8y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
First in this time,The coat chappie is wearing is a reversible waterproof,White one side and green other side,Bit like a long kagool with velcro closures on front and cuffs i believe.
Pip pip onk onk.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Richard - at least the coat is plain green!

He's ready for paint:

100_7285.JPG

A fairly straight forward build. It was quite tricky positioning the arms so that the rifle and hands fitted, and I've never had a kit yet where they line up perfectly, and though the left hand was a couple of mm out it should be OK.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Ralph.

However, I've had a change of mind - you knew I would folks!

I wasn't happy with the head at all, so I've decided to change it:

100_7293.JPG

The problem was that I didn't have a suitable Far-Eastern head, nor a helmet. Instead I've adapted a German fur cap to represent the DPM fleece:

download (49).jpg

I've given him a western head. though I'm not sure whether to try and depict a Gurkha with Eurasian features, like this chap:

apowmid-2018-004-gurkha-signals-parade-160.jpg

which may work with the right colouring, or to assume he's a European officer, or to simply ditch the kukri and depict a European soldier - apart from the kukri I don't think there's anything about the uniform and equipment that isn't fairly standard, though did other units tape straw to their rifles? Advice would be appreciated.

If I do depict an Gurkha officer, though they are not issued with kukris they are often given them as a mark of respect by their men (Prince Harry is an example, and carried one on his pack).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Richard. I think mine will do. There seem to be several patterns, some with fur under the peak and others not.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

You changed out the grumpy Gurkha for another head, Shock, horror, LOL

Your back story for the new head seems plausible, and with the right palette doesn't seem too much of a stretch, certainly not after the African Queen.

The references seem to show camo under the Argentinian parka, or will you stick with olive green?

Looks grey today but another heatwave to come?

According to the BBC!

Have a good day painting your new head

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I'll just paint the head and see what happens. I'm beginning to favour the story that he's a young English lieutenant of a Gurkha rifle company, honorary kukri and all that. Camo wise, I'll go with the box art, which has a DPM jacket under the parka.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Definitely a young English officer not long out of Sandhurst. Mater and Pater would be so proud.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - If he reads like that, I'm happy. Thanks.

I've got the head done:

100_7306.JPG100_7307.JPG

Bit of a change of plan re the DPM camo on the cap. I did paint it that way first, but felt that it really detracted from the face, making the whole thing look looking too busy:

100_7304.JPG

So instead he's wearing a captured Argentine one:

325.JPG

Sometimes you have to make up these stories!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

The hat was a little busy, better suited under the parka, I think.

Certainly a youthful and expectant new junior officer, hopefully his troops will keep him out of trouble!

Should be another good day to paint, though the weather will go against you with a heat wave next week.

I shall try to scribe some resin figures today, 1/35, too small these days for you, sadly.

Have a good day painting

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

His boys like him (honorary kukri) so he'll be all right.

I realised he's actually wearing the reversible British Arctic smock (thanks Richard). Here it is painted:

100_7314.JPG

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice of Richard, tis looking good Peter.