impossible rivet!

K

kevingambrell

Hi

Just got to riveting the angle iron in for the coal bunker plate. Most of the ten rivets were easy and just required some odd shape snaps to do the job. The one that i had problems with was on the left side of the manstand at floor level. Try as i might I couldnt form a decent head on the 1/8th inch soft iron rivets. Five attempts were made and a lot of foul language was thrown away on this last rivet.

In the end out of desperation and a wish to have decent rivet heads both inside and outside the tender. A rivet was cut down just a bit too short for riveting. This was then bonded into the rivet hole using Locktite.

Once the rivet had set up a small ball of Milliput epoxy putty was mixed and applied over the stub tail of the offending rivet. The rivet snap was then spat on to prevet the milliput sticking to it and pressed firmly down onto the putty ball. One slight twist and the putty rivet head was formed.

All in all not the best way to rivet but it looks fine and only I will know when the paints on and the bunkers full.

Hope this is of some use.

Theres a few more pictures up on the photobucket page.

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/kevingambrell/

Kevin

B

Bunkerbarge

I would have been tempted to use an appropriately sized BA screw and nut, round them off and fit them with a blob of Loctite.

I'm sure it would have worked as well