In Honor of Simon T. These two a AT-1 and a train thing.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Why the AT-1 well its 35th or as I like to call it leggo scale(compared to the 1/16wich I class as duplo scale)not my thing really so out of my comfort zone haven't done one for ages lets see how it goes.
The armoured Russian rail car is a proper nod to Simon I recall him having a total mare with the weathering on his,he did replace all the handles but there so small a paint highlight will suffice at this point bless him he would have been on me badgering me to replace them, the rail car I've built, it only has a few parts ,I didn't like the base supplied with it a sort of raised stone embankment almost,
so cut it right back ,I don't do bases with ground work as when it comes to competitions they can be a bit dodge in regards to is it a diorama so stick with a plain base its how imps prefer it but as a rail car it obviously needs tracks so what I've left is good enough.
So one up for primer the other started but more on that later(much more what a pile). Dave. 20201023_152727.jpg
20201023_152915.jpg
Looking forward to following everybody else's builds.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I remember Mr T's effort with the train. Had a right nightmare getting the white wash done. I wish you all the best with these builds. They are a fine tribute

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice out of the comfort zone tribute to Simon, David.

Cheers,
Richard

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well burnt the midnight oil a bit on the AT--1 ,now I havent built a 35er for a while and I know I'm heavily biased towards 72nd but have seen nothing to make me rush out for the next one ,the main spru was to big for the box because of the little section they put the hull tub in so the whole thing was bent and twisted along with the parts on said spru.
The tracks are a complete pile give me 1/72 links any day of the week ,they give you a jig for the links oh goody 10 at a time ,there is so much slack on the jig with the links on it you still need to adjust the links to be able to insert these silly little pins to hold the links together(pins being barley long enough) and to make it worse the ones that seem to go in with a positive click are the ones that take it upon ones self to bloody fall out ,small dont scare me but these are hardly tweeser friendly ,and what brain decided 113 links each side?
20201102_155918.jpg
Look at it all that for two sets of tracks, any way that twisted sprue
20201102_183304.jpg
You can see the stress marks on the plastic where I bent this part straight again and the frame of the drivers mg gunners hatch thing i had to break in to three bits and rebuild it to get it straight,joke was it came on the spru wrapped in foam.
Now doing link track I like to finish with the join on the bottom because if you have to cut a link in half or put half a link in to join it up no one sees it any way ,113 links how long has he been a bloody comedian miles to long stripped a inch off still to long in the end I just went with the saggy track look way OTT but is it bob? That says its mine and I'll do what I want.
20201102_183418.jpg
20201102_183549.jpg
Still apart from that I did put some hinges on the back of the fender boxes ,hoping to maybe get some primer on it at the weekend usually makes them look a diffrent beast hoping it will change my attitude towards it. Dave.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
David .Those track pins on a lot of Hobby Boss models are a nightmare. The last one I attempted most of the pins were too big to go into the tracks, impossible for me to drill them out so can really appreciate how well you have done.
As to the sag ! A energetic pull on a lever to turn would result in a track being thrown, but they did have a lot of sag so it's in keeping.
Impressed with the build , think you've done well .

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
David. Nice updates you’ve been hammering this one out

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks chaps I know that the sag is far to great but in our world I think they look the part(awards should be given to thoes brave enough to even attempt them)plus although there the right side out there on the wrong sides still only we know so don't tell anyone. Once again thanks for all the likes and comments keep em coming its all part of the fun.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well after the drama with the primer last time out I've gone down a diffrent road so I'm sure you'll find out either way if it holds up or not so any way as you can see primer is on did this this morning could well start to throw some paint about tomorrow.
I've always only used a 2.0 airbrush but looking at the 35er thought I could do with something a bit beefier I used a air brush my daughter bought for me at least five years ago don't recall ever using it and certainly didn't look like it had been used . I think as its called a Vega 130 its got a 3.0 needle i know it came from Bart Sharp and I wouldn't have let her spend m ore than 20 squids as you can see works a treat but golly don't thoes big kits eat paint20201107_160904.jpg
20201107_160934.jpg20201107_161043.jpg
20201107_161416.jpg

20201107_161117.jpg
Oh dear just noticed the periscope on the 35er is leaning mind had to look twice thought ut was something else for a second? Dave .(ooh er misses !!!!)

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Dave,
All looking very nice under primer, might have to get me one of them AT-1’s :thinking:..

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Evening Dave,
All looking very nice under primer, might have to get me one of them AT-1’s :thinking:..
Si apart from all the negative comments I've made about the build dive in buddy as you know I don't really do 35ers but just over 20squid was within the purse strings.
There is no internal detail what so ever not even a breach for the gun not that it can be built to move anyway, the only thing your given strangely is the drum feed magazine for the mg?
The armoured train falls together but there are hardly any parts a lot of the newer 72nd hobbyboss stuff is very simplified almost what I'd call a kiddie kit?
As a little heads up you can get the Mirage hobby AT-1 in 72nd with full intireor only down side rubber length track's but used them before they joined with glue no problem apart from that no issues promised myself to get mine on the bench sometime next year Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi David
That primer looks to have gone on very well. That airbrush has certainly done its job :thumb2:
Jim

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi David
That primer looks to have gone on very well. That airbrush has certainly done its job :thumb2:
Jim
Cheers Jim after all the palaver with the last build I've become kinda paranoid about it ,never had anything go wrong before so was a shock to say the least still were see ive taken one of the ingredients out and gone with the one I've always used on the main spray job (pics coming shortly) if it happens again then I know its the primer causing the problems fingers crossed. Dave.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sorry guys but went off on one got this far before I thought of posting ,anyway sprayed it green (4B0 bit of a enigma bit like panzer gray) brushed on a filter coat to settle it down a bit then lightly sprayed a few coats of the old floor polish on it ,picked out the bolts and hinges etc in a highlight colour ready to start doing what I do ,any way have started to muck about with the engine deck ,bit of a different discipline in this scale compared to to my usual 72nd stuff good fun though hope to bash on with it over the weekend .
20201113_182432.jpg
20201113_182511.jpg
Will endeavour to keep better informed but I'm sure you know how it is. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Day in with the rain and wind lashing seemed a good plan to bash on though watching the GP delayed progress, taken a pic of the roof of the fighting compartment a before and after ,and pics of engine deck and roof ,I think its going OK all ive tried to do is upscale what I do in 72nd so comments and criticisms welcome. Dave.
20201115_122805.jpg
20201115_150555.jpg
20201115_151914.jpg
20201115_151655.jpg
Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific work with the wet stuff. Nice rust effects. Coming along really well

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well I've finished would I go 35th again Mmmmmm I've got a few in the stash and there's a couple coming soon I've got my eye on but were see.
Just the one pic for now I'll put the others in the album hopefully this evening. Dave. 20201122_180619.jpg