John
Norman .
Loving this, the gauges are great .
More please
John

K

Keith Hiscock

Norman.
Looks like a great model to build, and love the details on the gauges also the way you achieved them.
looking forward to more.
Keith

O

OneSmallStep1966

I grabbed a bit of time today and more-or-less completed the interior, but I still have to paint the pilot, so I can't seal it up just yet.

I used a combination of paints, Vallejo Model Color for the wooden side panels, MRP White for the walls and Mr. Metal Color for everything else.

The boiler/engine is mostly painted but there are additional details that I will fit later on.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Anything Steam Punk I'm in. Norman this is fantastic. I like the way you've painted the metals.

Cheers,
Richard

O

OneSmallStep1966

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I have decided to paint the head and body separately (rather than wait for the pilot), so today I attached the photo-etch fins to the main body (the real brass rivet pins included with the kit are a classy touch) and primed everything with Mr Surfacer 1200 (mixed 50:50 with Mr. Hobby Self Levelling Thiner) which gives a superb finish for the paintwork to come.

Thats it for a couple days, but then on to the main body colour.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great progress on a really interesting build. Nice touch with the rivets as well
Cheers
Tim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb work norman , I love seeing steampunk stuff and this is about as mad as it gets!, Excellent finishing on the brass and that cockpit is sublime! it makes me want to go and watch 'The time machine' right now! keep the updates coming , its great to see something really out of the ordinary , cheers tony

O

OneSmallStep1966

Thank you all for your words of encouragement, but being new to this forum I'm not sure what level of detail you expect in the build threads, so if I'm overdoing it and posting too many updates showing only incremental advancements, please let me know.

Back to the build, today was spent laying down the primary metal colours. I pre-shaded the panel lines and rivets with MRP matt black (main image picture 1) and then filled in most of the centre panels and fins with Alclad Black Base Gloss (top insert in picture 1) to try and create tonal differences in the AK Xtreme Brass and Pale Brass paintwork. The tonal differences are there (see second insert in picture 1), but I find photographing these real metal finishes very difficult, and these pictures don't do the metal finishes justice (they look almost matt in the photos and I assure you they are not).

The sub head was painted using Mr. Metal Color aluminium, and when thats fully cured I will mist over a coat of AK Xtreme Jet Exhaust on the upper half to darken it.

Finally today, I painted the figure (see insert in picture 2), and yes, I know its bad but I've never been good at small figures, and since it will hardly been seen through the portholes, it will do :smiling3:

Thank you for looking.

bowman

Steve Bellerby
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Beautiful work Norman, and you can't provide too much detail in a thread of this type - it's the main way that many of us less gifted individuals progress in this wonderful hobby. Please keep it coming!

Cheers

Steve