Inherited Models

V

Valerie Wassing

Hi, I'm new here and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section. I inherited two big boxes full of models (mixed brands, some still in plastic wrap) - I really do not know what they are worth, or how to go about selling them - BUT I do know that they are taking up too much space. I thought I would start here in hopes someone can point me in the right direction. Any suggestions ?

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Try ebay sell as job lot /collection or perhaps one of our eager stash builders/collectors maybe interested if you live locally to one of them. Good luck :smiling3: Cheers John

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Welcome to the forum, first of all try making one you never know you might enjoy it other than that try ebay

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The value of model kits varies widely depending on all sorts of factors. The only way anyone can give you an honest assessment of what your inherited models might be worth is if you can provide a list of what you have. You'd need to give the kit name, manufacturer and scale and, if you can find it, the kit number.

I think it would be worth having an idea of their values before selling on eBay or similar. You might just have something valuable and it would be daft to give it away.

Cheers

Steve

0ne48thtel

Very much with Steve on this with the wealth of knowledge on here I am sure some one will be able to give you a fair idea of he kits worth.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Agree with the guys, a list of what they are, scale, make etc. Ebay is your best bet.

F

Fenlander

To me kits are just bits of plastic, worthless. However, the pleasure they bring in building them, priceless.

V

Valerie Wassing

Thank you all ever so much for your help / advice ~ I will be doing up a list I guess ~ Thanks again !

Cheers !

S

stuart.c.82

Easiest way is stack them all out photo and post it on here... These experts will tell you if there's anything particularly rare or valuable and if not someone might make you an offer anyway but at least noone on this forum site would let you sell something for way under its value, they appear to be an honest bunch from what I've seen!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
at least noone on this forum site would let you sell something for way under its value, they appear to be an honest bunch from what I've seen!
Agreed. It's also self regulating, if someone takes the p**s somebody else will call them out for it.

Cheers

Steve

V

Valerie Wassing

So I've taken some pictures - geesh I hope this works !! Here goes .... please let me know what you all think. Most of the models are still sealed, however there are a couple that are opened.. I certainly appreciate any and all feedback ! Many many thanks !

Cheers !IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4910.JPG

IMG_4911.JPG

First Name
Robert
Don't know if you wanted to put in the for sale and I'm sure some of us would buy some from you and as above has said would give an honest price.

I've seen stuff on eBay and I have bought from here with a little discount but if it's a rare find e bay would be the best place.

Robert

First Name
Gregg
Nice selection of kits you have there!

Gregg

S

stuart.c.82

I'm no model expert but just just on general collectors I'd say the coca cola lorry and the star trek stuff would be of value to the right person so maybe eBay would be good for them.. other stuff I've seen sell for anything from £8-15 maybe but obviously postage would be your enemy... Where abouts are you? UK? if a model builder or two live near you they might snap them up a few at a time to keep on the shelf for future projects/parts

S

stuart.c.82

The revell liljohns one is interesting too... Can't say I've seen that one very often.. might also be worth more than the others.

Things like corvettes, chevys and other general American musscle cars are common place so as a guess around the £8-£10 Mark sounds fair to get them gone, defo don't bin them tho they will bring enjoyment to someone

V

Valerie Wassing

Thank you for your posts everyone !

I'm in Canada, yes postage will drown me either way unfortunately, but depending I may give Ebay a try. At least now have a general idea :smiling3: Thanks again !

Cheers !!

S

stuart.c.82

Definately try locally first then, but I'd maybe get the coca cola lorry, star trek ships & "the lil johns" '26 car ones looked at a bit closer before you sell them, any model is only worth what someone wants to pay but you never know with some things it might look normal but if it's got a strange error or an unusual colour scheme (especially tv & brand names stuff) they might have only made limited amounts and could have good value.

Once it's built its had its use and effectively is a nice paper weight so as their boxed as new still who knows.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
All good advice so far for you. However if you sell them on ebay or whatever equivalent auction site, it might pay to put a note on the sale terms/description that the kits appear complete but note that you do not guarantee the state of decals in the opened boxes, over long periods of time they can become delicate or unusable, so at buyers risk. This covers you just in case.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
As you have inherited, and you have no intention of doing them yourself, do as Joe states, list them as spares or repairs and start at $1.00 canadian and just let them roll. You will sell them.