Inspired

R

Rik101

So. I was having a good nose around SMF, reading topics that sparked my interest when I happened across a thread where several members talked about making use of household items and cheap stuff from pound shops and it got me thinking. I work with computers and a majority of our work involves laptops. I have already gotten a load of white LED's from broken screens (that one was my boss's idea) so I got to thinking about what else can be rescued from broken laptop parts that would otherwise go in the bin.

So far, I have found some very fine plastic mesh from speaker coverings and cooling vents that could be made use of.

I also think I can make use of the clear plastic light guides that some laptops use to shape the activity LED's output.

The screws in laptops screw into brass threaded inserts. I can easily remove the inserts with a soldering iron then use them on models where a removable panel would be useful as the screws are nice and small.

If anyone has any other idea's that could inspire me further...

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The cooling fans can be used as ventilation fans for industrial buildings, underground bunkers etc.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Some of the electronic components you find soldered onto the PCB make useful boxes, small gas cylinders etc if you want to detail up a cockpit for example (obviously not so much use if you want every detail totally accurate). You'll probably need a soldering iron to remove them without breaking them though.

R

Rik101

Some of the electronic components you find soldered onto the PCB make useful boxes, small gas cylinders etc if you want to detail up a cockpit for example (obviously not so much use if you want every detail totally accurate). You'll probably need a soldering iron to remove them without breaking them though.

It's a good idea but surface mount components are a nightmare to remove as they are glued onto the board and flow soldered. Using 2 irons to heat both ends and burn off the glue works but it is very easy to overheat and destroy the component.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Small PCB's make quite good "decoration" for sci-fi builds....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It's a good idea but surface mount components are a nightmare to remove as they are glued onto the board and flow soldered. Using 2 irons to heat both ends and burn off the glue works but it is very easy to overheat and destroy the component.

I agree they can be impossible to remove sometimes but .....

IMGP2122.JPG

And as Ian said, you can get some good Sci Fi bits:

IMGP2123.JPG

IMGP2124.JPG

The figure in Pic 3 is from a set of 28mm Sci Fi figures. One day maybe, I'll get round to doing the dio I have in mind for this!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
The cooling fans can be used as ventilation fans for industrial buildings, underground bunkers etc.

Indeed they can, this a fan and heatsink out of an old xbox 360.

DSCF2091.jpg

R

Rik101

Hmm, interesting. The type of components pictured are conventional mount rather than surface mount. A very good source for those is old audio amplifiers.

A word of warning tho, be wary of stripping down valve amps. Some components can hold a hefty charge for a long time.

Last edited: