Instrument panel help

Matt.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Matt
Hi, i’m Making slow progress on mosquito and about to start the cockpit.
Not having or wanting to purchase PE items I’m wondering what most would do on the instrument panel. File the surface flat and apply decal or try and set over the raised instruments, I’ve applied over the raised instruments in the past but never got it perfect. Or does anyone try and paint instead of decals?Any feedback appreciated. MattA70E62B4-3B14-489E-BDBC-BA63C1B74104.jpeg

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I normally paint the panel black and drybrush silver very lightly. Seems to look better than decals and alot easier.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Gloss black and invest in the micro twins (set & sol). Applied correctly the decal will be pulled down over the raised details.
The gloss helps reduce silvering and gives a good smooth surface to adhere to.
A quick coat of matt varnish to seal and you’re done.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’d go for paint. Either paint the panel black and drybrush with dark grey, or paint it dark grey and apply a black wash (I’d go for the latter, I think); in either case, then paint the edges of the dials and other details white with a fine brush, using the decal as a guide.

Don’t paint the panel lines white, though, unless you can find a photo of a real Mosquito cockpit that shows them to be white — I get the impression they’re white on the decal mainly to show the edges of the panels, which painting as I described will do already.

Matt.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Matt
Thanks for the suggestions, not sure which I will do but help really appreciated, I’d completely forgot about drybrushing. Thanks