Interior colour of a StuG

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
After opening a large can of worms reference the correct interior colours for a StuG, and looking at pictures of restored and models of StuG's, I very quickly found there is a very large variation and of course opinions

So I messaged my good friend Wolfgang Zimmerman who co authored the two vol set on the StuG (a cracking read) and IS Mr StuG! In the past he has been very incredibly generous and yet again he come up trumps

Just got in (not a cat out) and to a email from Wolfgang, who said that as there are only a few pictures of un-restored vehicles and none in colour from the war its a very difficult subject, but he has sent me a shed load of pictures

Including a lot of pictures from a un restored StuG from Fort Benning in the US, excellent ones of radios, brackets, gun breeches, ammo racks and driver positions, one happy bunny

He echoed what Steve Jones said, as long as its not pink or orange you will not be far wrong lol

Once i have saved them i will have a good look and report back

Hope this will be of interest

bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
As I have no energy at all and even find walking a problem, I have been looking at the photos sent to me very kindly by Wolfgang Zimmerman, co author of the two Vol set on the Stug

When i emailed History Facts in Switzerland, i was not excepting much but to my surprise Peter Muller the other author replied then Wolfgang, who has been fantastic!! So its not just me who loves StuG's

First the radio and support brackets, as you can see the brackets are a darker grey (do not think they are black?) than the radios, seen a few models with Ivory brackets

no 4.jpg
no 6.jpg

from a un-restored StuG
no 22.jpg
no 25.jpg

Gun and breech, seen a few painted green but
no 36.jpg
no 24.jpg

Interesting picture of a removed L24 gun out of a Ausf E, and the border between Red primer and ivory!
no 20.jpg

Interior is a issue, this a un-restored StuG, you can see the gearbox, steering, brakes, vent pipes and steering levers are red oxide primer

no 3.jpg
It appears that everything was red oxide then Ivory over the top leaving the floor in red primer, some brackets were red primer but others especially electrical were grey of some form

no 27.jpg
no 26.jpg

Many ammo bins were left in red primer, but i have one picture of a bin in ivory???
no 21.jpg
no 30.jpg

So there you have it clear as mud lol

I will paint mine red primer everywhere, then ivory over the side of the hull and superstructure

finally a picture from the Alkett factory of Ausf E's being made

no 14.jpg
Many. many thanks to Wolfgang for his generous help, all the above photos are for discussion only

Please remember this is only MY opinion, feel free to make your own mind, hope this helps, it certainty does for me

cheers bob

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Bob great photos, sorry to hear you're not too good yourself.
Pete :thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Bob lookin through the photos it was intrestin to see the ackual drivein postion with all the drive implements eg. levers to steer right or left an the accelerator an brake pedals they must have been small people them driver to sqezze into such a small compartment as when I was in bovington museum all you see on the tanks are the outside an no interior so your pics were very intrestin for me an hopefully to others great stuff
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Chris

Thanks for actually replying!

If you go on youtube and look for world of tanks or the chieftain. Theres a load of vids by a x US tanker, in them he gives you a tour outside then inside a load of armour. The StuG one is poor but he does a Panzer 111, Panther, T34, Sherman etc, etc. which gives you a very good idea of how cramped many vehicles were! Only made my admiration of all tankers even more!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris

Thanks for actually replying!

If you go on youtube and look for world of tanks or the chieftain. Theres a load of vids by a x US tanker, in them he gives you a tour outside then inside a load of armour. The StuG one is poor but he does a Panzer 111, Panther, T34, Sherman etc, etc. which gives you a very good idea of how cramped many vehicles were! Only made my admiration of all tankers even more!
THANKS Bob i'll have a look at u tube cheers
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
As Paul has said great photos.
How very kinds of those two gents to reply, and with so much information. Just shows how a interest knows no bounds.
Hope you sort this feeling of no energy is sorted out soon Bob.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Great pics. Thanks for sharing. PaulE
Most welcome Paul

As Paul has said great photos.
How very kinds of those two gents to reply, and with so much information. Just shows how a interest knows no bounds.
Hope you sort this feeling of no energy is sorted out soon Bob.
Hi John, my problems tend to last for a few days then improve then return and on and on! No cure

Yes both Peter and Wolfgang are great, i have asked a good few questions and every time they have helped me!

Hi Bob.
There are 13 pictures and in 9 of them there looks to be a lot of rust,so on these numbers alone I would say the interior would be a rust colour :hungry:.
Bugger that simple Ralph lol

Hi Bob, totally agree been in a early Leopard and would not like to do a three point turn lol
Thanks for sharing Bob, hope you are feeling better now.
Many thanks, Fernando

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for sharing Bob!

ATB

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Bob how;s the build of your stug that's havin a engine change as I cant find it on here an hope you feel better ?
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
hi Chris

Its in user created group builds 2020

Getting there, been a rough week, no energy or interest in anything.