Intro

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
You really to kind guys.:sunglasse

Base of the gun getting the overhaul:

TBC...
Wow, that is some build you have there. well done, fantastic work. A real credit to you.

Andy

S

Siara

Thanks Andy! For the while i thought the posts were not showing.:rasta:

Some more scratch building.

This component is made from 8 parts:

TBC....

B

Bunkerbarge

Siara, I really don't know how I've managed to miss this for so long, I can only assume it is the title that does not catch my eye enough!!

Firstly humble apologies for not being more supportive of what is an absolutely staggering build. I have made this kit and thought I'd done a reasonable job of it. Yours is in a completely different league and the scratchbuilt pieces are absolutely stunning in thier detail and craftsmanship.

Also very many thanks for putting so much into a comprehensive set of pictures that has so far recieved not a great deal of appreciation.

Keep up the good work and giving us all something to strive for.

B

Bluewavestudios

\ said:
Also very many thanks for putting so much into a comprehensive set of pictures that has so far recieved not a great deal of appreciation. Keep up the good work and giving us all something to strive for.
I will certainly agree with Bunker's comments above - I am just speechless - this is an absolutely stunning model - the pics and the level of detail are a definite inspiration - I look forwards to the next set of pics and of course seeing the finished item.

Regards......Mark

S

Siara

Thanks guys for good word.

Base of the 88mm gun being detailed:

TBC...

S

Sky Raider

Fantastic work mate, i'm watching this thread with great intrest. Cant beleive how you manage to do this small detail work... you must have some really small tools.

Well done.

Andy

S

Siara

Thanks Andy!

Slowly but surely the 88 is taking shape...

TBC...

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Kick ass man! A real looking 88? On a sub too no doubt. I have a lot of copper wire and a soldering iron (used to make electronics) but need to try it out on some scratch stuff. Problem is I'm into aircraft! Oh, maybe a u boat for my bday...........

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Awesome! Do you turn or fabricate the metal from stock or are you able to pick up the tube sizes (once calculated or thought up) from the usual hobby store? This part looks really fun to do especially if its slightly improvised.Take care, Jeff

S

Siara

Thanks Jspitza- i turn the copper wire, and use the various brass tubing.

Meanwhile the gun is finished- enjoy:

TBC...

B

Bunkerbarge

Having made this model myself and knowing the sizes of these pieces very well I am absolutely staggered by the amount of detail and the size of the components you are working with. This model is absolutely superb and a pure joy to watch it go together.

M

Mankster

Wow, this is quite stunning. Do you work with tweezers to do this in this scale?

S

Siara

Thanks guys!

Tweezers are in constant use during this build.

Some parts are so small, that without the tweezers it would be impossible to work on them.

Im back in the shipyard, and work started on the 88mm gun crew.

Im using Warriors set.

After asembly i cut out the imitation of the 88mm projectile from the hands of the loader- i will turn the new one from brass.

TBC...

S

Siara

Projectile was turned from copper wire, and soldered inside the brass tubing.

TBC...

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Hi:

Would you mind me asking how the best way would be to turn soft metal or if there is a way to do without a small mill? Maybe using a dremel chuck to hold the piece but not sure what would tool would shape it while spinning. I have the little workstation that acts like a small drill press. Thanks again, Siara!