Intro

S

Siara

Thats exactly how i do it. Because i dont own the lathe just yet, im turning the wires, and tubing in the dremell tool. I bought the small diameter chuck for it, so i have choice of small, and large diameter.

The key is to use perfectly straight piece of wire- otherwise it will not turn right.

Hope it helps.

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Thank you very much!! I really appreciate it! Jeff

S

Siara

\ said:
Thank you very much!! I really appreciate it! Jeff
No problem. You are always welcome.

Meanwhile.

Couple of test shots of the general layout of the scene:

TBC...

S

Siara

I have aded the sights for the aimer, and the bracket only on the other side.

The whole gun was sprayed Chaos Black primer.

The support on the aimers side is extended to fit the figure, and on the other side one is in stowed possition.

TBC...

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
I have aded the sights for the aimer, and the bracket only on the other side.The whole gun was sprayed Chaos Black primer.

The support on the aimers side is extended to fit the figure, and on the other side one is in stowed possition.

TBC...
Looks fantastic with the paint job mate. cant wait to see it with the weathering effect. I had to laugh the other day, this is not a p take just an observation, your man holding the ammo at the back looks like Jonesey from Dads Army.

Sorry.

Andy

S

Siara

Thanks Andy!

I started painting the 88mm gun:

Gun is ready to receive its share of oils, washes, and chips.

I also applied the base colour on figures:

TBC...

S

Siara

Thanks guys- thats to kind.

Weathering cont.

First the oil stains:

Then the soft pencil for raw metal scratches:

TBC...

S

Siara

I have uploaded 27 new images of U-552 on my blog.

You can check em out here: U-552

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
I have uploaded 27 new images of U-552 on my blog.You can check em out here: U-552
Out of this world, wow. What will you do with the sub when it is finnished mate. Should be on display somewhere.

Andy

S

Siara

I havent had any offers yet, but when is done i will sand the e-mail to Greenwich. Lets hope they can reinburs me for the cost of the build, and the work hours ive put into this build- close to 1000 hours now.

S

Siara

Rigging.

This is the part of the project, where scratch building will be required.

Revells parts are completely unuseable:

Real life picture:

I discarded the revells parts altogether, and designed the "mother" isolator from 2 separate oval brass discs, and after sloting each of them half way through the middle, soldered them together.

My friend from Poland promissed to make 30 of them from resin, using the "mother" to make mould.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Rigging.This is the part of the project, where scratch building will be required.

Revells parts are completely unuseable:

Real life picture:

I discarded the revells parts altogether, and designed the "mother" isolator from 2 separate oval brass discs, and after sloting each of them half way through the middle, soldered them together.

My friend from Poland promissed to make 30 of them from resin, using the "mother" to make mould.
I know what you mean about parts mate. No moulded part could ever look like a scale peice in any scale. I found that out with the thunderbolt.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
I know what you mean about parts mate. No moulded part could ever look like a scale peice in any scale. I found that out with the thunderbolt.Andy
I was having a think about your problem with these shackles. When i need a part i have a think about what i could use or adapt for the thing i want. Well, i thought of Hobby Craft and their jewellery section. The sell allsorts of beads in bags the are different shapes and the thread onto a fine twine to make a necklas or bracellet and they have this shape as far as i know. They are on the web if you tipe in hobby craft. Here is a pic of what i mean of their site. Might help mate.

Andy

View attachment 18093

Swarovski.jpg

S

Siara

Problem is- the slot for the line. If i used these beads, the sloting would need to be done by hand.

If i make the mould using my "mother" isolator, and somehow take multiple casts of it- it may results in much simpler, and consistent part making.

I decided to do it myself- i just nee to find out which resin i will use /and how to/and which is best for such casting.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Problem is- the slot for the line. If i used these beads, the sloting would need to be done by hand.If i make the mould using my "mother" isolator, and somehow take multiple casts of it- it may results in much simpler, and consistent part making.

I decided to do it myself- i just nee to find out which resin i will use /and how to/and which is best for such casting.
I'm alomst certain that they have the exact shape that you ar looking for. Some are beads that are round, yes, they do have a different assortment of shapes though.

Just a thought.

Andy