IPMS

• Thread starter Deleted member 5819
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5819

Hi I'm thinking about joining IPMS, are there any members on this forum if so are there any from London.
Pete.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i keep thinking about joining....................ive been a member of an IPMS branch for over a year :smiling6::smiling6::smiling6::smiling6:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'm a member Pete. Great group to be part of and well worth the annual fee.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A couple months ago I went on line to see where the closest IPMS Region was in my state (MONTANA) thinking I would join up. There is not a single one in the entire state! I was affiliated with them when I lived in California and was very pleased with the organization. I attended a few shows and entered a couple contests. I was even asked to judge one of the categories, (not related to my entry) and participated in that as well. Very positive minded group and worth looking in to.
Cheers, Rick H.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A couple months ago I went on line to see where the closest IPMS Region was in my state (MONTANA) thinking I would join up. There is not a single one in the entire state!
Having seen Montana, I’m not surprised :smiling3:

Reactions: JR
First Name
Dave
I used to be a member and attended meetings at my branch in Southend.But for the past 3 years my job has meant I have to work away from home . And I never seem to be home for the monthly meeting. So I’ve let my membership lapse.

D

Deleted member 5819

Tankk you for all the input, I've now joined IPMS so we will have to wait and see.
Pete.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I used to be a member and attended meetings at my branch in Southend.But for the past 3 years my job has meant I have to work away from home . And I never seem to be home for the monthly meeting. So I’ve let my membership lapse.

Get yourself to the Farnborough IPMS next Monday, you don’t have to be a member and they have a bar.

First Name
Dave
I went along to my local meeting last week and enjoyed it now looking forward to the next one it's a shame there's only one a month.

Dave

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I once joined the local IPMS for one meeting - they all did planes, no interest in afv's

I was told that I had to make airfield support vehicles for them

Didn't bother going back

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I once joined the local IPMS for one meeting - they all did planes, no interest in afv's
That’s the impression I get from the Dutch IMPS as well, from seeing them at the odd model show and their web site. Even if that claims they cater to people building “planes, cars, vehicles, figures, ships, science-fiction or anything else”, checking its articles section shows a very heavy focus on aircraft.

I was told that I had to make airfield support vehicles for them
I might just have gone out and built some anti-aircraft weapons to bring along next time.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That’s the impression I get from the Dutch IMPS as well, from seeing them at the odd model show and their web site. Even if that claims they cater to people building “planes, cars, vehicles, figures, ships, science-fiction or anything else”, checking its articles section shows a very heavy focus on aircraft.

I might just have gone out and built some anti-aircraft weapons to bring along next time.
Jakko..... You might have well have done that, but the chances of Simon finishing one in time that is another story .:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2: he'd have to rebuild the model, add rivets, change the tyres and cast his own so real!y no point in joining . :tongue-out3:
John.
Pete hope you do enjoy it and meet some great people.
John.

D

Deleted member 5819

Up date tried to join the London and UK forums, what a waste of time, 15 days at least 8 emails sent and I'm still waiting for a response I'm very disappointed should have listened to the feed back.:disappointed2:
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Up date tried to join the London and UK forums, what a waste of time, 15 days at least 8 emails sent and I'm still waiting for a response I'm very disappointed should have listened to the feed back.:disappointed2:
Pete
That's very strange, and a contradiction to their website statement. Looking at it with over 4000 members in the UK alone and a raft of differing groups.
A shame after reading all the negative comments, and no section on fire.:sad: No good for me then either:smiling2:
You'd be well to stay on here amongst friends Pete.
John.

First Name
Noel
IPMS is a large model making society with many branches all over the country and special interest groups who have their own websites. It was unfortunate that someone went to a local branch to find that all the members there were all aircraft modellers. Some branches are a lot smaller than others, so this could be a problem. Best not just walk away. Try to integrate as this will encourage the group to gain more members with other interests. Remember that primarily we are all model makers, no matter what we are interested in. I build Car models but find that there is a lot to learn from people who build other things. The IPMS Forum can be a bit slow at times, but the information on it is always of value.

D

Deleted member 5819

Up date the UK forum have now let me in after18 days, as Noel said some branches are a lot smaller than others and can be a bit slow at times, but the information on it is always of value thats the main reson I joined so we will wait and see.
Pete.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i can only speak from experience

when i started to look round for a IPMS group to join 18 months a go i had 3 within 20 mile radius .....the one i chose was simply based on the quick response to emails and they had a website

i must have chose wisely cos one of the other branches (the closest one to where i work) has folded due to infighting

but the one i joined has been great...twice monthly meetings and theres always 30ish people there........its a great cameraderie ......the modelling is very varied......usual planes and armour but theres also plenty of bikes and cars and sci fi and a couple of superb figure builders...when i made thta wooden catapult a while ago it went down a treat cos it was different...and worked!... ...active in various SIGs such as tonka and lightning, and star wars and IDF......a couple of whatsapp groups mean the craic goes on all the time.....display at loads of shows every year

my advice is if you have had a bad experience with one branch....go find another.........i wish i had joined one years ago

First Name
Noel
Beowulf, sounds like you might now belong to the 'Black Sheep' branch?
If I am right it got formed by former members of the infighting branch who got fed up with all the animosity taking place and decided to break away.

Regarding another poster's comment about IPMS Forums.... Most IPMS Forums around the world are accessible to members and non members to join or look at on the web.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beowulf, sounds like you might now belong to the 'Black Sheep' branch?
If I am right it got formed by former members of the infighting branch who got fed up with all the animosity taking place and decided to break away.

you couldnt be more wrong!......a more friendly bunch you would be hard to find

2019 is the 25th anniversary of the branch forming