IPMS

• Thread starter Deleted member 5819
  • Start date
First Name
Noel
I got that well wrong! It sounded like the branch that Mick Lomax from our club set up near Wakefield when his job took him up North.
I belong to the Milton Keynes Branch, a good mix of modelling interests and also a good friendly lot. 'Serious modellers who don't take themselves too seriously!'
I think that MKSMC must have been around for a good number of years now....Must check how long we have been going.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I got that well wrong! It sounded like the branch that Mick Lomax from our club set up near Wakefield when his job took him up North.

wrong side of t'north :smiling5:

im in IPMS Cleveland

S

Scale Model Podcast

Interesting topic and one I want to talk about on the podcast in future. A fellow modeler in Canada posted this to his blog a while back which I found very good news as the IPMS Canada chapters from what I've seen have been very accommodating to all sorts of modelers. In our local chapter, we have a wide variety of builders and people love learning new things.
Like a business, any chapter that ignores changing trends does so at their peril.

First Name
Noel
I once joined the local IPMS for one meeting - they all did planes, no interest in afv's

I was told that I had to make airfield support vehicles for them

Didn't bother going back

Simon. Sad to hear that you had a bad experience at the IPMS branch you went to. Which one was it? Name and shame them! Not only that but report your experience to the IPMS committee so that they can deal with it. Their email addresses are on the IPMS UK Website. How patronising of the members of that branch to tell you that you would have to make airfield support vehicles for them! Hopefully there are other branches within reasonable distance to look in on with a more liberal attitude. I am a long standing member of the society and a car modeller so hearing about this sort of insular behaviour is not what IPMS is all about.

D

Deleted member 3568

I joined the ipms in witham nice mix of modellers but I'm a bit shy with people and only went for about a yr of their monthly meetings at which they encouraged me to take some models to the norex show at which there was no interest at all in what I thought were some of my best bits (the christine dio and the warspite gets a fewscars dio) at the time (this is probably just my feeling as I said I don't do people well) I always felt like a fish out of water, and after it was confirmed my models(by public response at norex) (also pete can confirm they aint the best )were rubbish I sort of stopped going but the members were very supportive and friendly.

D

Deleted member 5819

I joined the ipms in witham nice mix of modellers but I'm a bit shy with people and only went for about a yr of their monthly meetings at which they encouraged me to take some models to the norex show at which there was no interest at all in what I thought were some of my best bits (the christine dio and the warspite gets a fewscars dio) at the time (this is probably just my feeling as I said I don't do people well) I always felt like a fish out of water, and after it was confirmed my models(by public response at norex) (also pete can confirm they aint the best )were rubbish I sort of stopped going but the members were very supportive and friendly.
Hi Ken stop putting your self down.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi I join the UK forum and the London forum, the UK one have posted stuff and never got any reply on anything and for the London still waiting to join but will not bother now.

As for the magazine and welcome pack they have not turned up at all, so have given up with ipms all together, what a wast of time and £23.

Pete

First Name
Noel
Pete...Get onto the IPMS Committee Membership Secretary via their website or write to them. Not getting the welcome pack and magazine must have been down to a human error somewhere along the line. If they have cashed your cheque or if you have transferred £23 into their account by credit or debit card it will be traceable. Generally IPMS are very efficient with new membership applications and keeping tabs on 4000 plus members annual renewals. You really need to follow this up with IPMS if your account has been debited for the £23. I am sure that they will put it right for you very quickly, but you do need to get in touch with them. I can understand your frustration otherwise you would not have commented on this forum. As for using the main IPMS forum and their London forum, well any forum is only as good as the people who bother to use them. Any forum including this one has that dependance, and it is just a fact of life that some forums are sleepy, whereas others are always busy. I have a number of posts in forums. Some get replies and quite a few do not. Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Are any of use members of the Scunthorpe + North Lincs, or Sheffield/Rotherham branches? and if so are they any good.

D

Deleted member 5819

I've been in touch with the membership secretary and he is said they have sent my welcome pack, they said sorry you haven't got it but you only get one and that's it, the same with the magazine.
So now I stay clear of them, lesson learnt.
Pete.

First Name
Noel
Pete, get on to Richard Middleton the IPMS UK General Secretary, who is a personal friend of mine. Mention my name Noel Smith, that I have been replying to your posts on this forum, and ask him to take the membership Secretary to task over this. Frankly, I was disappointed to hear about what his response was to you. He should have arranged for another membership pack to have been sent to you if you did not get the first one that went astray in the mail. See what response you get from Richard. If that does not get things moving for you, I will get on to Richard myself on your behalf. If you paid the membership fee of £23 and the money has been accepted then you are entitled to what you paid for! Your membership pack should have included your membership card that not only entitles you to the magazines but also your card includes your entry into Scale Modelworlld Show for both days, so is quite valuable to you. Rather than just giving up and being disgruntled, keep on their back to get this resolved!

First Name
Dave
At the last meeting the second I've attended there were aircraft, figures soft skin and armour vehicles and scifi and interest was shown to all by everyone I think I will be joining.

Dave

S

sprueone

I've been an IPMS-USA member for several years. I joined for the journal and liked it enough to finance memberships (for the journal) for a couple local public libraries. However, the local model build group that I associate with is not an IPMS chapter.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Bob, where in Cal. are you located? When I was living there I had opportunities to interact with the Santa Rosa Chapter and the Santa Clara Chapter as well. Both were quality organizations in the S.F. Bay Area and I enjoyed the time spent very much.
Rick H

S

sprueone

Wow, sound like you had a great time when in the bay area. The group I interact with is a great bunch of people, we're just not an IPMS chapter.