IRON COFFIN - U 213..Final attempt..Honest (page 4))

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
View attachment 71647

View attachment 71648

View attachment 71649

View attachment 71650

View attachment 71651

View attachment 71652

View attachment 71653

View attachment 71654

View attachment 71655

View attachment 71656

View attachment 71657

View attachment 71658

View attachment 71659

View attachment 71660

My first tentative steps into the twilight world of underwater wrecks......

I have no qualms about the thread title because 'Iron Coffins' is the title of a superb book by Herbert Werner, who served on U boats during WW2. For further reading I recommend 'The Hunters and the Hunted.' by Hans Joachin Brennecke.

Thanks to Alan and Si for both the incentive and tips for tackling this subject.

I have tried to model what the minelayer U 213 might have looked like after not too long on the Atlantic sea bed having been sunk by allied warships in 1942.

The marine growth is slowly taking over the boat.....

I thought about rigging, but decided it had vanished one way or another!

I covered the model with blue plastic and then took the pictures. I've tried to convey the impression of the sea bed many fathoms down, where marine growth is sparse....

I've included a few shots 'As is' and also one of the U Boat to show the 1/350 scale.

I hope you liked this offering. Thanks for looking and all comments and suggestions more than welcome...

Cheers,

Ron

Iron Coffin.jpg

Iron Coffin 005.jpg

Iron Coffin 001.jpg

Iron Coffin 003.jpg

Iron Coffin 002.jpg

Iron Coffin 011.jpg

Iron Coffin 007.jpg

Iron Coffin 016.jpg

Iron Coffin 006.jpg

Iron Coffin 024.jpg

Iron Coffin 018.jpg

Iron Coffin 019.jpg

Iron Coffin 021.jpg

Iron Coffin 022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tecdes

Yes I like that Ron.Do not know how you have the patience to do all of that.

Very nice interpretation & with the blue looks as real as it can get. You blokes who do these dioramas are certainly innovative.

Iron coffins is right on the ball as about 50% where. Those that survived must have had nightmares for the rest of their lives.

Laurie

First Name
Dave
Great work Ron.I actually thought it was under water until you mentioned the blue plastic.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Yes I like that Ron.Do not know how you have the patience to do all of that.Very nice interpretation & with the blue looks as real as it can get. You blokes who do these dioramas are certainly innovative.

Iron coffins is right on the ball as about 50% where. Those that survived must have had nightmares for the rest of their lives.

Laurie
Thanks Laurie...

40,900 served in U boats....26.000 died and 5000 taken prisoner.....

Can you imagine watching the depth gauge by torch light, as the out of control boat goes deeper and deeper...and all you can do is wait for the pressure hull to implode.

I just can't imagine it. Knowing your life is finished and you can't do anything to prevent it happening.....

Brave lads, right or wrong..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That does look rather convincing. Nice touch with the blue filter over the light.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian, Dave and Ian M for your comments. It's nice to get your approval of my first go at this caper!

Ian M.....Filter? A bit of owld polythene sheet, if you please!...lol

Cheers,

Ron

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Looks fantastic Ron love the blue hew to give the effect of underwater :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Looks fantastic Ron love the blue hew to give the effect of underwater :smiling3:
Thanks Alan....can I join your wreckers club please?!

Here's one for you....I've been thinking. Instead of 'cheating' with the blue plastic, do you think it feasible to complete the model, then over-paint the whole thing with a blue / green tinge to simulate the depth?

Ron

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
We'll make you an honorary member Ron ,

To paint it in a blue hew ? Now that would take some special skill , I would imagine that to do it right you would need about 5/6 shades of blue and some would have to blend from dark to light and that also would apply to the base as well as the model.

I have seen some special painters on here but to paint a kit to look like its underwater would be some feet.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Absolutely...a cracker of a build in that scale Ron. The filter/sheet works a treat giving a new dimension to the model. Are you in the sunken wreckers club?...oh, yes.

Great build medal from me.

Si:smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the membership boys!

Si, it was initially down to your excellent wreck models, that I decided to have a bash at this - to me - new dimension in modelling......

Alan, as this sub is only about 8" long and only a couple of quid to buy, I'm going to use it as a test piece and have a go at actually painting the thing blue and see what happens......I've already grey primed it all over!

Ron

B

Bunkerbarge

I initally thought this was on a purpose built base, then I realised it was simply a handfull of sand on a concrete step. What a brilliant insight into taking a picture and making such a realistic set of pictures.

Absolutely fantastic model and a brilliant diorama. I also thought initially it was the Revel 1/72nd kit but the handrails looked a little heavy. Then I saw it was the 1/350th one and was amazed at how good it looked.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Thanks for the membership boys!Si, it was initially down to your excellent wreck models, that I decided to have a bash at this - to me - new dimension in modelling......

Alan, as this sub is only about 8" long and only a couple of quid to buy, I'm going to use it as a test piece and have a go at actually painting the thing blue and see what happens......I've already grey primed it all over!

Ron
Ron if anyone can pull it off it will be you :smiling3: I await to see the result with baited breath :smiling3:

C

CDW

just looks like a rusted heap of junk to me ............

..... ahhhhh .... wait ...... i see ...... now i get it .......

........ brilliant Ron !!!!! :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Just using simple items to get a really atmospheric set of pictures is certainly a forte of yours mate.

have a ''great build'' clicky doodah on the house

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
.... and I thought you'd embedded it in your famous clear silicone with some blue colouring! Stupid boy! I should have known you wouldn't spend that much on a simple dio! :smiling3:

Gern

PS I'm off to hit the ***** clicky.

PPS Is this what you wanted a sub for at Cosford?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your posts chaps....and the doo dahs!

Richard, positive comments coming from a real boaty person as yourself is praise indeed.....

Alan, I can but try....Heaven knows how it will turn out, but my curiosity has the better of me now!

Colin, thanks for your 'Rusty Heap' post......I got feelings yer know!

Ta for the Doodah too - sounds like a verse from a song does that.....

David,......and the kit was only £1.99 from Cost Cutter. I've been fancying a stab at a sub for some time now, that's why I was hunting for one at Cosford earlier this year. Then seeing the excellent wrecks on here recently has spurred me on to have a go......Thanks for your doodah too.

Thanks again boys,

Ron

0ne48thtel

The blue sheet is a stroke genius Ron I thought you had used some blue LED lighting or something along them lines. great work

P

Polux

Wow!!!

Great piece of work Ron!!!

Oh my God..... you have an excellent camera with and amazing zoom...... what a tiny model :smiling3: :smiling3:

Cheers

Polux