IRON COFFIN - U 213..Final attempt..Honest (page 4))

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Where to start? First, thanks to you all for the great and varied posts..I can't believe the superb response my diddy sub has received.

As an add-on to Steve's excellent info. on U 213, here's a bit more.....She was actually a mine layer, one of six built - U 213 / 218. The designers used the well tried Type VIIC boat and lengthened the hull aft of the conning tower by 10mtrs to accommodate the mines. The boats became VII D's.

Only 6 mine laying operations were carried out by the boats in a total of 31 war patrols.

U 218 was the only Type D to survive the war and was interned in Norway prior to being scuttled by the allies.

Tony, I'll try and get a pickie on soon.....

Trey, glad to read you're on the mend!

Colin, If only!!

Scott. I followed Si's method to start with....then I did as follows.....

Because I didn't want an all over marine growth, more being down for a decade only, I applied some diluted pva in a hit and miss sort of fashion, then out onto the drive and swept up some dust and bit and bobs - whatever ended up in the dust pan really! Whilst the pva was still wet I filled a fine sieve with the sweepings and then tapped the sieve to release whatever fell through. After a few minutes I upended the model and tapped the base.....This left me with marine growth here and there.

For the painting I used children's paints - the sort in little tubes. I mixed a few different shades of blues and greens and then with a large flat headed brush, I literally dragged the brush across the sharp edges of the boat and let the paint run down where it wanted. That's it really.

Painting wise, you probably did much the same on your excellent 1/72 Type VII C, which I had the pleasure of seeing both at Ellesmere Port and Cosford.

Thanks again everyone, it's made a cracking start to the weekend!

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now I thought that the mk I was good. The one with the 'filter' over the light. This though is rather amazing. Also it is a great example of "What do you need an airbrush for".

The cold murk of the depths come across as well as they ever could.

Five star paint job!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian...for all us poor brush 'ands, another feather for our 'ats perhaps?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As requested by Tony (yakface).....Dark and spooky...Sorry about the torch, my imagination got the better of me!!...A mini submersible has located the wreck and is closing in.......

I painted a darker background, then got on my hands and knees under the work bench and took the pictures......Can anyone suggest a way to get back up....me knees won't work....Help!!

View attachment 71825

View attachment 71825

View attachment 71826

View attachment 71827

I hope you approve me old mucker!

Where did those diddy pictures come from?

Iron Coffin 045.jpg

Iron Coffin 051.jpg

Iron Coffin 052.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CDW

OK ..... I though this was just an extra long thread about an outstanding little dio ..... BUT....... You gone and updated it .......and now its even better .....

Not very often do you see someone 'out do' themselves and then 'out do' themselves again with the same model .... Impressive stuff young man :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hmmmmmmmm, lighting effects. COOL! Gives a much more dramatic effect, like a mini sub exploring. Very murky, very spooky and very, very good.

Si:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys, great posts.

I keep breaking my rule 'No fiddling,' but at least I can blame Tony for this inclusion!

I'm still stuck under the work bench...any chance of a brew?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This deserves a special biscuit when I see you at cosford next year!!!! Honestly mucker these pics are superb, a fantastic use of light and effects, pic 3 is the money shot for me , with the shaft of sunlight highlighting the wreck , so haunting !amazing!!! Thanks for indulging me ,cheers matey tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the offer of refreshments chaps, but I'm out from under the bench now...the wife wafted a 'T' bone steak under my nose!

Tony, glad you like the extra piccies you asked for.

Dave and Jason, thanks for your posts too.

Ron

P

Polux

Simply great Ron!!!

Love the lighting effect, as Si comments, looks like a mini sub exploring.

Superb.

Polux

K

Kressy_13

Great work mate. This started looking awesome and you keep outdoing yourself. Keep it up mate, hope to see a few more wrecks.