IS-2m T model44/45 Soviet WW2 recovery vehicle 1/72 PST

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After finishing the PST KV2 (see finished vehicles) decided to look for something else that I'd closed the lid on faster than I took it off ,a couple of years ago I saw this built on the mini afv site and thought gotta get me one of thoes, well not impressed threw it up the back of the stash then saw the up grade kit on the jadar hobbies web page in the sale section and thought why not ,postage wasn't much less than I paid for the upgrade ,a quick inspection of contents saw it filed with the kit.
The KV2 saw the light of day after being inspired by Raceys bunker buster build whilst not the best of kits was a lot of fun do, as I said went for a previous reject,the mouldings looked sharper than the KV so dived in.
20210422_182619.jpg
20210411_162707.jpg

The photo etch was nice but had a strange brown gloss finish on a lot of it? The resin hull top seemed ok so removed the casting block it was then I noticed it was a straight re cast of the kit part they'd just put their own bit on the top ,look at the comparison pictures right down to the knock out pin marks and some scars on the inside of the kit part.20210411_164148.jpg
20210411_164227.jpg
20210411_164250.jpg
20210411_164024.jpg
This (choose your own word)me off slightly and I decided to use the etch on the kit part ,sticking it was a bit hit and miss with the brown gloss stuff, spent as much time re glueing bits back on as I did first time around. Parts that were big enough to cover with a finger and slide down a emery board without damaging i did to rub it off ,.
still all good fun this is it so far
20210419_185903.jpg
20210419_185753.jpg
Have got the wheels on link and lengths still to go ,once up and ready will put some pre primer pics up(one shot oxide primer as inspired by Racey).Dave.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Strange way to produce a kit David. Coming together nicely though. I think the brown stuff is photoresist, by the way. It allows double sided etching. Very old fashioned though, I haven’t seen that for many years.

Reactions: JR

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Strange way to produce a kit David. Coming together nicely though. I think the brown stuff is photoresist, by the way. It allows double sided etching. Very old fashioned though, I haven’t seen that for many years.
Tim I just couldn't belive they'd used the kit part to make the master why they didn't just produce the etch is beyond me still good fun so far. Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi David
I think I would have put this back in the stash. Having said that your progress so far looks very good. I'm sure you'll end up with a fine and very unusual model.
Jim

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
David,
If you get more etch like that, let it soak in a bath of cellulose thinners, that will clean it up. As for the hull copy, plagiarism at its worst. But you seem to have got the better of it and make a great job of the build.
Mike.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Jim I'd put it there once because only its mother could have loved it ,I seem to be on a mission ive decided to build all the unwanted (still a mystery why I got them in the first place)as they say at work sometimes just put your brain in your lunch box and bash on have really enjoyed so far , also photo etch is one big non stop learning curve wich is fun ,after this ive got a right stinker so stay tuned. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
David,
If you get more etch like that, let it soak in a bath of cellulose thinners, that will clean it up. As for the hull copy, plagiarism at its worst. But you seem to have got the better of it and make a great job of the build.
Mike.
Thanks Mike like i told Jim ive decided to man up and start to whittle out all the great unwanted from the stash. Been a breath of fresh air so far. Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
David

Well done for persevering. I think I would have put it straight in the bin.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh no you cant Andrew put a Russian kit in the bin:nerd: rather back on the shelf( Says he with a Hobby Boss truck in pieces )
David

Well done for persevering. I think I would have put it straight in the bin.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well you can guess what I think Dave :nerd:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I dont under stand where your comming from ,why! a little perseverance its building up into a interesting subject this is called modeling after all. Dave
Depends on how 'deep' you go, no doubt that you have the expertise to turn a 'sows ear' - but I'm not sure about me and my skills.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Afternoon gents yesterday got right on top of all garden chores so today have got link and lengths done both sides no real issues but as with the KV the links were a diffren size from the lengths and don't tell anybody but once again I had to remove teeth from the drive sprocket.
Tow cables and tools I dont ever fit till I've laid some paint down so this some times includes clamps etc , part number 34 tow cable hook tensioner thing was a pile and needed replacing so used brass rod and aluminium tubing from Albion Alloys will trim to fit when time comes . Bigest problem was fitting top and bottom hulls took some fettleing as Simon T would have said not easy when covered with etch wich is delicate at the best of times.
Should get some primer on it in the week will put up pre and post primer shots . Dave 20210425_091326.jpg
20210425_072016.jpg
Stay safe all.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great progress David. Mind you, I think you’ve recently removed more teeth than my dentist ;)

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks Tim really enjoying this beginning to wonder why I didn't bash on with them in the first place, even now bits and pieces are inspired by the late mr T he never criticised as long as you tried. Looking forward to the airbrush. Dave

Reactions: JR

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Got some primer down yesterday evening, inspired by seeing John R use it i got hold of some mig one shot brown oxide primer ,i use the black one as my goto primer and have a bottle of the gray ive never used. Anyway thinned it as I do the black and found it very transparent didn't seem to have much pigmentation so cut back on the thinner (mr Hobby aqueous thinner) with the next coat not to bad one more coat and it seemed to do the trick in retrospect perhaps should have pulled out a airbrush with a bigger needle but went with my favorite airbrush with a .2. Still looking forward to shooting some paint over the brown.
20210427_194528.jpg
20210427_194615.jpg
Stay safe all and if I don't get back before have a good Bank Holiday. Dave