Islander : 1/72 : Aurigny : Jersey Airport Diorama

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5496

Islander which covered which flew constantly between Jersey Guernsey & Alderney. Aurigny is old French for Alderney.

The Islander was replaced by the Trilander (3 engines) which becme quite a thing with the kids. A little story was written & published called JOEY that being its registration.

Only one pilot. Always, as I flew between islands on business, thought of scrambling to the pilots position should he become ill. The worst bringing back a German Shephard pup from Guernsey. She made a hell of a noise in the hold keeping all the passengers laughing.

Laurie

gKcBRw.jpg dHEvaw.jpg C315cq.jpg x8d7pv.jpg pmctAQ.jpg

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, under location, shouldn't that be Great Britain not Great Britian, just thought I'd mention it.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The Technical Director of a company I worked for in the seventies owned and flew an Islander. Needing some work done by the manufacturers, he flew it to their works in Bembridge, IoW., parked where he was told, which was rather muddy, slipped while getting out of the plane and sprained his ankle badly.
He manged to reach into the cockpit and grab the microphone, called up their control, and said "I've had a bit of an accident", but then dropped the mic, which was pulled back into the cockpit by the curly lead so he couldn't give any details. The controller, knowing only that there was an accident at the airstrip, hit the panic button, which called the ambulance service and fire brigade - every ambulance and fire engine on the island arrived, and the local hospitals were all alerted to prepare for an influx of air crash victims!
Pete

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5496

The Technical Director of a company O worked for in the seventies owned and flew an Islander. Needing some work done by the manufacturers, he flew it to their works in Bembridge, IoW., parked where he was told, which was rather muddy, slipped while getting out of the plane and sprained his ankle badly.
He manged to reach into the cockpit and grab the microphone, called up their control, and said "I've had a bit of an accident", but then dropped the mic, which was pulled back into the cockpit by the curly lead so he couldn't give any details. The controller, knowing only that there was an accident at the airstrip, hit the panic button, which called the ambulance service and fire brigade - every ambulance and fire engine on the island arrived, and the local hospitals were all alerted to prepare for an influx of air crash victims!
Pete

Just love it.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Ah the memories of the island come flooding back.

The Isander and Trilander were great planes. Really fun to fly in - if you were lucky you could get the seat next to the pilot. Yes- you really did sit up front next to the pilot, you had to promise not to touch the controls!!!. As you can guess there was no aisle, the planes had a number of doors on each sice, each door serving 2 pairs of seat, one of which had folding seat backs; like a 2-door car.

The weight distribution on the Islander was critical so in the early days of the company they weighed each passenger to decide where to sit them!

Apparently the Islander flown by James bond in Spectre was an ex-Aurigny plane.

good luck with the build - what about converting one into a Tri-lander?

peter

D

Deleted member 5496

The immortal Islander, 10,000 rivets flying in formation and making people deaf since 1965 :smiling3: Look forward to seeing this Laurie
Hi Joe hope things are all well down there.

Yes you all got in through these numerous doors as the handler of loading did his job. Crash of the steps to a new door. Passenger in. Each door really crashed hard closed.

Sit there Captain tuns his head, arm on the back rest. In a quiet manner addresses all. Your flight to Guernsey will be 12 minutes etc etc.

Then the noise as each engine explodes.

On one trip with Pauline & myself, my have been on a Trilander, to pick up a German Shepard Puppy. Dear little thing.

Took off & the passengers spent the flight laughing as the GSD was in the hold creating a hell of a din. Poor little thing cried all the way.
However she soon became the queen of the Stewart family

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Just a little up date. Regrettably your gall stone bladder lobbying stones into your pancreas is most unfair.

Laurie

ARPFzn.jpg
Hog3ue.jpg
uKR1MR.jpg
hlM9zY.jpg
qEkHd4.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Another "Flying Box" gets the treatment.......looking good Laurie, you couldn't pay me to get on one of these....scary stuff for sure. It will definitely be an interesting addition to your Airport. Keep up the good work. :thumb2:
Rick H.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A nice little aircraft, well to look at by the sounds of it.
I am sure you will do it justice!
Hope the Gallstones are not to big a problem for you and you are soon sorted.

D

Deleted member 5496

Another "Flying Box" gets the treatment.......looking good Laurie, you couldn't pay me to get on one of these....scary stuff for sure. It will definitely be an interesting addition to your Airport. Keep up the good work. :thumb2:
Rick H.
Wot wot I used to like flying on these it was quite an experience. Very Cosy. Much fun as we were so close people chatted.

Thanks Rick.

D

Deleted member 5496

A nice little aircraft, well to look at by the sounds of it.
I am sure you will do it justice!
Hope the Gallstones are not to big a problem for you and you are soon sorted.
Thanks Ian Very nice of you. Much appreciated.

Gallstone : trying to teach the pancreas to bat the stone back into Mr Gall's backyard. :tongue-out3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just pushin' yer buttons Laurie........I've been spoiled by large commercial airliners. I've flown on everything from 340 Convairs all the way up to and including the Boeing 777. The small regional carriers, with their little twin engined crop dusters just didn't have the same appeal.....used them when I had to and yes they are definitely cosy (Cramped) inside. I only had to play musical seats once that I recall. Cheers, Rick H.