Isopropyl Alchohol

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
It’s a long time ago Richard but it was New Town I think but Sea Park rings a bell as well. I rented a new apartment from a friend who was pretty flexible with lets as he had about 20 apartments on his books
Gary, SEA Park apartments yes...nice although we have gone off topic for a bit...back to IPA. It's hard to find at DIY shops here...pharmacies perhaps but with the current situation anything alcohol seems to have spiked up. Can it be used as a sanitizer?
I guess cleaning the airbrush has many options and what's best depends on what suites you and budget plus the level of clean up expected either an overhaul or just a quickie. :smiling2: I prefer the quickie and save it for a yearly overhaul.

Cheers,
Richard

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I don't use alcohol sanitisers. I've been using Virkon S. Designed for the farming industry (and DEFRA approved) but safe to use around the house. 5g makes 500ml of disinfectant. Great for spray bottles

First Name
Gary
I clean my airbrush each time with water, cotton buds and cleaning brushes. I'm sure finishing off with IPA is probably overkill but it always removes traces of the paint so I presume is the right thing. As you can see from the thread people use a variety of materials but IPA works well for me.

I guess you could use it as a sanitiser but mixed with an agent like glycerine as a moisturiser. 50/50 is a fair average. As Alan says there are commercial products that work well. But for domestic use any soap and hot water will do. I tend to use washing up liquid for my hands. These are strange times we live in.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
IPA is the active ingredient in hand sanitizer Gary. The gel part is usually Glycerine and Aloe Vera.
It is a very good Sanitizer if diluted to 70%. The pharmaceutical industry uses a 70% IPA spray as a standard for hand sanitising prior to entering high grade clean areas. Personally I use a 30% solution for cleaning vinyl records prior to first playing.......diluted with distilled water of course.

First Name
Gary
That's the one Tim. 70/30 I remember reading that and the Aloe vera as well. I'm interested to see if my 5 litres arrives tomorrow or the next couple of days.

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
So that answers the scarcity of IPA at pharmacies...must be the panic buying, can't be modelling has become a hot hobby suddenly but I've heard of friends stocking glue, thinner and paints for the upcoming lockdown.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good thing I see Ebay have removed all offers for IPA where there is evidence of profiteering.
This was a statement earlier

eBay remains the best place to find the things we all need from millions of sellers around the world. Sadly, over the past few weeks we have seen a tiny minority of sellers attempting to exploit other users by listing items at unreasonably inflated prices. Let us be clear – we in no way support this. We have introduced measures to prevent or quickly remove listings that we find unfairly priced above their retail value. Our teams are working around the clock to ensure our site remains a safe and fair place to buy and sell and we will take the most stringent enforcement action we can against sellers who attempt to get around this .

Pleased to see this announcement .

First Name
Gary
Hard to police but if they have the will.......

Mine hasn't arrived as promised yesterday from an ebay seller but I'll wait a few more days. I have my doubts now that it will at all. I'll get my money back but I'd rather have the IPA

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I bought something from eBay a few weeks ago, and it didn’t arrive......I gave it a week or so and then complained. A day later a redirected letter arrived from the person we sold our house to back in July last year. Turns out I had forgotten to change my address.....Doh! Immediately withdrew the complaint and gave the seller top feedback as a result.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Going to raise a complaint myself with a seller on Ebay, first item was said to have been damaged in transit before it reached me. The seller then gave the choice of a refund or sending replacement item, I chose the replacement which has still not arrived so now going to ask for a full refund and I will get the item from somewhere else.

Andy.

First Name
Gary
I went to check where my IPA was and there is an ebay note on the purchase that seller is no longer listed on ebay. I think thats because the seller made all his feedback "private" which is an ebay infringement. However nothing to say what the staus of my order is now. So went through the contact seller bit but that wont get a response. I need to see if the online chat is available once ebay is open tomorrow morning. Strange times

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I went to check where my IPA was and there is an ebay note on the purchase that seller is no longer listed on ebay. I think thats because the seller made all his feedback "private" which is an ebay infringement. However nothing to say what the staus of my order is now. So went through the contact seller bit but that wont get a response. I need to see if the online chat is available once ebay is open tomorrow morning. Strange times
I sent a message to E bay Gary when I had a problem, just quoted the order no etc .They gave the seller the normal time and then opened a case against him and I received a full refund .Good luck

First Name
Gary
Indeed, it's not a concern John. The process works and I've used it a few times. Ebay has improved a lot over the years. And it's only £11 anyway so one of the children has to do without food for just a couple of days