Israeli Defence Force M51 Tank.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
My Grandson kindly gave me this, which my son gave him. But now the dear child has a car, a woman and has found beer - not neccessarily in that order - he has now passed the model on to me. He keeps pestering me about the kit, so I've made a start - to shut him up!

It's the Tamiya 1/35 I.D.F. M-50. Very easy to build - too easy really. It just fell together, snip, file off the attachment stubs and glue. Where's the fun in that?! I like a bit of a challenge in my modelling, but this kit just kind'a built itself.

It was built - off and on - in a couple of days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical or clever, it is a very nice model. But even a first timer, would find it an easy model to build. 

I just wonder if modern day kits are getting just too good and taking the modelling challenge out of builds?

Anyway, here is the tank, built up and ready to paint. 

P1150835.JPG

P1150830.JPG

P1150832.JPG

Cheers all,

Ron 

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Mike
Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical or clever, it is a very nice model. But even a first timer, would find it an easy model to build. 

I just wonder if modern day kits are getting just too good and taking the modelling challenge out of builds?

Haha, who'd be a kit manufacturer in this day and age? We moan if it doesn't fit, now we moan because it does  xD  Funnily enough Ron I kind of know what you mean. I built a Tamiya P-51D and it was so straightforward and well engineered that I somehow didn't feel much ownership of the completed model. Still, for those of us who prefer painting and weathering these kits are ideal and get us to that point quickly. Regardless, your M51 looks great so far.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Mike,

I know you realise I'm not moaning, it's a great kit, but.....

You are quite right regarding 'ownership' of a model. 

It just feels there is no 'Me' in the construction of the thing. No sweat, swearing, and general nearly binning.....despite everything though, I'm happy with it thus far.

There is no doubt in what you write - you sure get to the painting stage in double quick time.  

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
understand completely were your coming from Ron,I feel the same way with some kits I,have gotten,as well,

it has turned out a nice clean build,and hear comes your magic time the weathering, :D will make up for the lack of building,

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Monica, I'm glad you sometimes get the same feeling about certain kits.

Here's an update. I've now given the whole body a coat of the main colour and started painting the tracks.

I brush paint, and for this model I'm using Humbrol enamels, applied with a small chisel headed brush. Because I always use a brush, I don't need to mask anything and can virtually paint the whole item with the main colour without worrying if the paint goes where it shouldn't. When this top coat is finished, I can simply paint in the detail.

Also, brush painting has the advantage of being able to introduce any weathering when this first coat is applied, by layering the paint in a horizontal direction. This gives nice subtle 'streaking' to the surface.

I've also started painting the tracks using enamels thinned with turps.

Here are the pictures....

P1150843.JPG

You can just make out the streaking on the surface. I don't want to over do this, but rather want a sand blasted, sun bleached effect. 

P1150846.JPG

P1150845.JPG

That's it so far. next up I'll paint the wheels and do a bit more to the tracks.

Cheers,

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Lovely looking tank Ron, like it very much.

Sign of the times, modelers are wanting better quality and detail, I also think that a older generation of modelers are also gravitating towards older kits; not all mind.

J

John Rixon

Still, for those of us who prefer painting and weathering these kits are ideal and get us to that point quickly. Regardless, your M51 looks great so far.

Amen to that! This model looks very similar to the Easy Eight, which is also a piece of p*** to make. Looks very good so far, and, if I may make so bold, huge for your normal predilections ;)