It`s a Stag Do.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Whilst i`m waiting for a paint order to arrive i`ve decided to crack open another box:surprised:!
This time,it`s,(unsurprisingly)an Italeri offering of a Mk III Staghound
.Looks a nicely made kit,although,as usual,you need to add some of your own details as it is quite basic....... having said that,it`s a great base model!
IMG20200816124534.jpg
I completed to first 6 stages in short order,all parts fitted very well,although a dozen holes do need clearing out with a 3mm bit.Some nice detailing on the underside.......
IMG20200816130113.jpg
Still got some clean up to do on there,and a bit of filler up top..........
IMG20200816130250.jpg
Although the lower/upper hull comes i mainly,one large piece,there are still a surprising amount of parts......
IMG20200816124928.jpg
I want to do this one as British,but there`s not that option with the Decals,so i`ll try and get some,or attempt them myself!! The keen eyed among you will have noticed earlier,that,you get a metal Barrel with this,and it looks good:thumb2:,gonna crack on now as it`s falling together so enjoyably!!
IMG20200816130455.jpg
Anyone with info or just a plain liking for these things then please feel free to join in!
Thanks for looking in,
Andy

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I have an Italeri Staghound MkI waiting finishing touches, lovely kit to assemble, I also added a Legend stowage set and it really set it off.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have an Italeri Staghound MkI waiting finishing touches, lovely kit to assemble, I also added a Legend stowage set and it really set it off.
Hi Karl,
Let`s have a look then!! Sounds interesting,I may just have a look for a stowage set,(that`s if you don`t mind me pinching your idea mind?!),these things changed quite noticeably between the various Mk changes from what i`ve seen.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Can't find my original pics from blogging this on the Military Modelling forum so here's 2 quick snaps on the kitchen bench.
Need to paint the stowage straps, add a bike to the rear deck and tie it down, then dirty it all up, leaning towards dry mud and dust, and place on a scenic base. The planned figures have been abandoned as the MiniArt figures didn't fit in the hatches.....
IMG_7323.JPG
IMG_7324.JPG

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nice that one Karl!!
Did you use oils on it? Too good to leave unfinished,that stowage gear does look the business.
As for figures,i have a few sets to look through,not sure if any of them are suitable yet mind.
Andy

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Only an oil pin wash over the rivets and weld seams. Modulated the US Olive Drab as these were American made I didn't envision them getting resprayed Bronze Green.
I kept a limited pallet for the stowage and plan to add some colour with the bike being brighter, initially envisioned red but a cornflower blue might work without being too distracting.
I was planning on having crew in the top hatches with a few infantrymen moving past, but they just didn't quite work in the turret. So buttoned up it was.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'll tag along for this one Smiffy. Off to a great start. With the amount of rain we had today they wil be sending your paint by boat! :smiling2: ;) :thumb2:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A`noon Guys,
Thanks Ian,I think this is going to be a quick build!
Cheers Steve,it has been a tad wet around these parts......nothing stops my supplies mind!!
Karl,it`s amazing sometimes,we can have dozens of candidates for what we have in mind,yet often,after going through them all,for one reason or another SOMETHING just aint right and none of `em suit!! However,whilst looking through THIS set.........
IMG20200820111359.jpg
I feasted my eyes upon character Centre stage in the box art there,the chap sitting on turret radioing in,fancied the look of that,so,whacked him together and.....
IMG20200821152025.jpg
Blimey he fits!! With a bit of this and that i reckon he`ll be ok,hope so cos i like the cut of his Jib!!
Now i`ve gone off track as far as the instructions call out,partly for painting reasons and also to aid yet more fitting of minuscule parts........
IMG20200821151746.jpg
So,that`s where we stand at the mo,i`m about to crack open the glue again! I`d certainly recommend this kit to anyone how likes the look of it!
Thanks for looking in,cheers until my next update,(probably tomorrow!),
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A brief update shall appear,firstly tho`........
Scottie,Cheers Buddy,nice to hear from you!
Steve,Thanks mate,a bit later than i thought,but it`s been a manic week,workwise!!
Si,Hello Bud,great to see you too.....where ya bin?!!
So then,I added all those little bits,and built up the Turret.These pics are with ALL the plastic bits done......... just building up my confidence to do the etch next,there`s not a lot,but i don`t have any type of bender,so it`s always a bit stressful!!........
IMG20200828143919.jpg
Had a bit of trouble getting the thin bits to stick properly,sorted by some technical Dousing with glue:tongue-out:,it`ll be ok under paint!.......
IMG20200828143704.jpg
........ and next,the turret.........
IMG20200828144216.jpg
So,it`s now shove the etch where we can,and GET THE PAINT FLOWING!!!
B.T.W I was fiddling with the two crew men and Turret,and had a change of plan,a bit of swapping over,sheering here and there i`ve come out with some results that i`m liking and may take further,here they are,early doors!!,but what you think?!!
IMG20200828144419.jpg
As always,thanks for looking in Gents!
Cheers,
Andy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The chap talking on the radio seems to be sitting more naturally in the rear (loader’s) hatch than in the front one you had him in originally. I’d look for something for the commander’s left hand to be doing, though. since it looks like it should be resting on something — stick a small bag or pair of binoculars on the roof under his hand, though, and that will probably look good enough too.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Is there no turret basket with this one? Mine had a part interior for the turret which made it harder to button up.
Figures look great.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Just found this one Andy, will follow along, looks interesting with a modified Crusader turret on a US built armoured car.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm late in on this too Mr. Smiff,

A real fine job you're doing Andy and the figs are sweet too!!! They do look better in the second setting. Bring it on Bro!!!

I hope all is well in Downtown Devon and don't let the work make you crazy.........

Prost
Allen

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Jakko,i prefer the radio guy at the back too actually,good idea with the Bino`s too mate,that`ll fit the part nicely i reckon :thumb2: ,
Karl,Cheers Bud,the figures are some of my favourites! Nope,no actual "Turret Basket" on this one,there are,however,2 large bins that go either side of the Turret,but bolted to the lower hull.;)
Graeme,Lovely to see you again Sir! Thank you,it is a curious mix eh?!!:hugging-face:,
Andy

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
The turret basket is the bottom half of the rotating turret, the bit inside the hull, hard to close up hatches when you've painted it all.
Looking at the details on the rear fenders I wonder if they're are fuel tanks in those bins inplace of the drums strapped to the Mk1