It`s a THING!!!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... Well,the clue is probably in the name!!;).....
It`s a weird one alright.... The U.S. Army couldn`t stand it,,,, but the U.S. Marines LOVED it,and promptly ordered over 250 of em!!:surprised:
It`s certainly a very strange looking AFV,which is apparently why it was named the "ONTOS"..... As you all probably know,the U.S. Had a thread of naming their tanks after American Generals/Famous leaders, Unfortunately this particular AFV was considered "Too Weird and Ugly" to be named after a U.S. Icon.... for fear of insulting said person!
SO,this M50.... Was called the "Ontos".... Being the Greek word for "THING"!!
Ere`s what i`m starting with........
IMG20210904132410.jpg
It` quite nicely detailed.... a LOT of tiny parts.... they`ll be shown tomorrow!!......
I`m going to try and do it Knocked out.... should be fun!!
Anyone who wants to look in will be more than welcomed!!:thumb2:
Andy

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
..... Well,the clue is probably in the name!!;).....
It`s a weird one alright.... The U.S. Army couldn`t stand it,,,, but the U.S. Marines LOVED it,and promptly ordered over 250 of em!!:surprised:
It`s certainly a very strange looking AFV,which is apparently why it was named the "ONTOS"..... As you all probably know,the U.S. Had a thread of naming their tanks after American Generals/Famous leaders, Unfortunately this particular AFV was considered "Too Weird and Ugly" to be named after a U.S. Icon.... for fear of insulting said person!
SO,this M50.... Was called the "Ontos".... Being the Greek word for "THING"!!
Ere`s what i`m starting with........
View attachment 434486
It` quite nicely detailed.... a LOT of tiny parts.... they`ll be shown tomorrow!!......
I`m going to try and do it Knocked out.... should be fun!!
Anyone who wants to look in will be more than welcomed!!:thumb2:
Andy
Those barrel/gun constructions are definitely designed to try a saint's patience mate - believe me! The supplied figures are certainly not Bravo 6 standard - more like Uncle Festus on a good day!
Steve

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Perhaps they should have named it after General John Sedgwick? Apart from that, have fun with it Andy. It’s certainly a weird beast, like a tracked medieval organ gun.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Perhaps they should have named it after General John Sedgwick? Apart from that, have fun with it Andy. It’s certainly a weird beast, like a tracked medieval organ gun.
Somehow the M--- Sedgewick doesn't conjure up quite the same militaristic image as 'Sheridan', 'Patton' etc does it Tim? It may lead a trend though; imagine the UK MBT the FV---Ponsonby Smythe! :tears-of-joy:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have to agree with Steve - the barrel assembly is not for the faint hearted
I haven’t built this kit, but I’m thinking that if it’s difficult to line them up, maybe it would be a good idea to make a template from plastic card with some holes drilled in the right places, so that it fits between the barrels and keeps them in alignment while the glue dries?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Somehow the M--- Sedgewick doesn't conjure up quite the same militaristic image as 'Sheridan', 'Patton' etc does it Tim? It may lead a trend though; imagine the UK MBT the FV---Ponsonby Smythe! :tears-of-joy:
Look him up Steve……he suits this little beast quite well…..

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Indeed Paul.... would certainly be a rough experience!!:dizzy:......
...... Probably why these things have been referred to as "The Worlds Biggest Shotgun"!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
Andy
It was the comment in an article about their testing I read that made me giggle.....

....something along the lines of when all six barrels were fired at once there was significant damage to buildings and especially cars behind it due to the back blast.... :surprised: :anguished:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Those barrel/gun constructions are definitely designed to try a saint's patience mate - believe me! The supplied figures are certainly not Bravo 6 standard - more like Uncle Festus on a good day!
Steve
I hear you Steve:thumb2:,
The barrel alignment won`t be a problem..... you`ll see what i mean shortly;),
As for the figures!!..... Well,shall we say that they got a 10 second look over........... and went STRAIGHT to landfill!!:dizzy:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have to agree with Steve - the barrel assembly is not for the faint hearted - I made a real pig's ear of it & thr 'thing' became landfill!
Dave
Hi Dave,
I`ll get around the Barrel alignment.... look on!!;)
The landfill sites in the South West must be awash with various bits of these kits!!:tears-of-joy:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Tim:smiling:!
I will..... and weird it certainly is!!
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I haven’t built this kit, but I’m thinking that if it’s difficult to line them up, maybe it would be a good idea to make a template from plastic card with some holes drilled in the right places, so that it fits between the barrels and keeps them in alignment while the glue dries?
Nice one Jakko,an excellent solution there:thumb2:,
However,as you will soon see.... i will not be needing to make any aids for this one mate!;)
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It was the comment in an article about their testing I read that made me giggle.....

....something along the lines of when all six barrels were fired at once there was significant damage to buildings and especially cars behind it due to the back blast.... :surprised: :anguished:
HA!! Nice one Andrew:thumb2:
Andy