It`s a THING!!!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK then....
The Build has started,but just the prelim,boring lower hull stuff.... so no point in posting pics yet!
HOWEVER,as the thread has had much mention of the nightmare task that is .... the Barrel alignment :dizzy: ...... I thought i`d show how i have worked out the perfect solution to getting that,particularly thorny,problem ........
Ontos-hit-by-PAVN-shell-1967.jpg
TADA !!.... Problem solved!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
I wanna try and replicate this as being wrecked by a RPG strike.... It`s quite hard to get ref pics for these "THINGS" that are knocked out,due to the small amount produced,so this will be the only source.... with some poetic licence added by yours truly!!:flushed: (I`ve only ever done one Destroyed AFV before,it turned out OK in the end... but boy,was it taxing!!:astonished:)
Should be fun mind!!
Thanks for all of your thoughts and comments,
Cheers for now,
Andy

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
OK then....
The Build has started,but just the prelim,boring lower hull stuff.... so no point in posting pics yet!
HOWEVER,as the thread has had much mention of the nightmare task that is .... the Barrel alignment :dizzy: ...... I thought i`d show how i have worked out the perfect solution to getting that,particularly thorny,problem ........
View attachment 434527
I wanna try and replicate this as being wrecked by a RPG strike.... It`s quite hard to get ref pics for these "THINGS" that are knocked out,due to the small amount produced,so this will be the only source.... with some poetic licence added by yours truly!!:flushed: (I`ve only ever done one Destroyed AFV before,it turned out OK in the end... but boy,was it taxing!!:astonished:)
Should be fun mind!!
Thanks for all of your thoughts and comments,
Cheers for now,
Andy
OOh, that was a bit sneaky, underhand, and positively brilliant mate! :smiling5:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Another minor problem with the Ontos, was that reloading the 6 barrels was done from outside the vehicle - a crew member had to dismount, & physically remove the spent cases & reload with fresh rounds - and the 106mm recoilless rifle rounds are larger than a 105mm howitzer round.................... This would mean the vehicle retiring & finding a safe place to reload, not something that would be easy to do in action
rec rifle round.jpg
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Another minor problem with the Ontos, was that reloading the 6 barrels was done from outside the vehicle - a crew member had to dismount, & physically remove the spent cases & reload with fresh rounds - and the 106mm recoilless rifle rounds are larger than a 105mm howitzer round.................... This would mean the vehicle retiring & finding a safe place to reload, not something that would be easy to do in action
View attachment 434528
Dave
I must admit when I read that I thought REALLY!!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It was the comment in an article about their testing I read that made me giggle.....

....something along the lines of when all six barrels were fired at once there was significant damage to buildings and especially cars behind it due to the back blast.... :surprised: :anguished:
Back in the day we fired Wombat, Mobat and Combat - all similar beasts, albeit single barrels - and I can attest to their ferocious backblast! Even the Carl Gustav and 66mm LAW can clear the leaves for quite some distance to the rear!! Definitely a filler of Y-fronts for the unitiated! :face-with-head-bandage:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
thought i`d show how i have worked out the perfect solution to getting that,particularly thorny,problem ........
View attachment 434527
Shall I be a spoilsport and point out that the ones on the left side are still in their proper alignment? :smiling3:

Back in the day we fired Wombat, Mobat and Combat - all similar beasts, albeit single barrels - and I can attest to their ferocious backblast!
Wasn’t Mike C (@Isitme) a WOMBAT crew member at some point? I think he mentioned that when he built a model of a Land Rover with one on here some time ago.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Shall I be a spoilsport and point out that the ones on the left side are still in their proper alignment? :smiling3:

Wasn’t Mike C (@Isitme) a WOMBAT crew member at some point? I think he mentioned that when he built a model of a Land Rover with one on here some time ago.

No idea Jakko - if he was he probably suffers from hearing loss as well!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Imagine killing the enemy at both ends...similar to a burp and fart happening simultaneously. :tears-of-joy::smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard
Doesn't bear thinking about - have you seen the price of Y-fronts lately?

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
View attachment 434528
Dave
Interesting stuff there Dave,nice one:thumb2:,
You`re right about the re-loading being a pain...... must`ve caused quite a few casualties if they were firing from an exposed position!:fearful:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Back in the day we fired Wombat, Mobat and Combat - all similar beasts, albeit single barrels - and I can attest to their ferocious backblast! Even the Carl Gustav and 66mm LAW can clear the leaves for quite some distance to the rear!! Definitely a filler of Y-fronts for the unitiated! :face-with-head-bandage:
I`m quite envious of you getting to use those toys in the ARMY Steve:cool:,........
........ all i got to do was play with Nimrods,Tornados and Phantoms on the ground in my RAF days:sad:,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

That`s not being a spoil sport Jakko! I had noticed that,but whether mine will be in such "Good" nick after it`s demise is yet to be decided;)!!
Andy