It`s a THING!!!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A`noon Guys,
Well,i must admit that i`m amazed by the interest that this has generated..... it`s pretty cool though!!:thumb2:
There`s not a lot to report as the amount of tiny bits fitted already don`t add much to the look of it,but this "Thing" is so T EYE KNEE .........
IMG20210925110451.jpg
The figure is just there for size...... and NO..... he`s not one of the pair that came with the kit!!:smiling5:
Andy

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I`m quite envious of you getting to use those toys in the ARMY Steve:cool:,........
........ all i got to do was play with Nimrods,Tornados and Phantoms on the ground in my RAF days:sad:,
Andy
Lots of other toys too Andy, whole tranche of weapon types; things that go bang, Claymores, sneaky things etc etc - even a simulated atomic explosion on the NBC Instructors course! Mind you, they pale into insignificance beside fully tooled up wingy things that you mention!
Steve:flushed:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Less likely to bog down than M48s due to much lighter ground pressure, so could provide arty support most anywhere. Small & maneuverable, was very effective at Hue.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Indeed Paul,
I saw a short clip on the net of one of these firing across a river at an emplacement,and you see a plume of earth/dust/rubble errupt into the air ......
Shortly after the salvo impacted the crew commander jumps down..... runs a hundred yards or so to a group of watching troops. He must`ve asked if that was what they wanted because you can see him being told "Left a bit",(or words to that effect!!)...... he then sprints back to his Ontos and fires another salvo.....
.....this time there`s a much bigger explosion/erruption and you hear some whooping and cheering!!:thumb2::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
It`s only a short and grainy clip,but well worth a watch!
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evenin`,
Well,i was thinking that the best way to try to portray a Wrecked Vehicle,was to..... start with the completed thing:thinking:......
.... So that`s what i`ve done pretty much.... apart from the bits that i think would`ve been blown clear off of course!....
`ere `tis with tracks ...........
IMG20210926170326.jpg
IMG20210926170341.jpg
.... as i said,that`s the BASIC stuff together,awaiting primer and the various debris left off.......
.............. next......... LET`S DO SOME DAMAGE .............
IMG20210926194552.jpg

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Evenin`,
Well,i was thinking that the best way to try to portray a Wrecked Vehicle,was to..... start with the completed thing:thinking:......
.... So that`s what i`ve done pretty much.... apart from the bits that i think would`ve been blown clear off of course!....
`ere `tis with tracks ...........
View attachment 434948
View attachment 434949
.... as i said,that`s the BASIC stuff together,awaiting primer and the various debris left off.......
.............. next......... LET`S DO SOME DAMAGE .............
View attachment 434950
Well really -- utter vandalism - lets paint it green and help save the planet!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy
Wrecking it - what a good idea. You have avoided the barrels problem and will make an unusual dio.
Jim
Cheers Jim!
Yep,the Barrels can`t be "wrong" this way!;)
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well really -- utter vandalism - lets paint it green and help save the planet!
Yes indeed,,,, TOTAL vandalism:thumb2:,
As for saving the planet....,. Too late mate..... "We`re Doomed"!!
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So then,a brief update on my "Vandalism",as Steve so succinctly put it!:thumb2:
Although it`s loosely based on the pic i posted up earlier,there`s still quite a "make it up as i go along" type vibe going on!
Obviously i`ve positioned the barrels non uniformly,i`ve also tried to show RPG type strike damage,blown out exhaust and general boken/bent fittings.It`s now in the glory that is Olive Drab,and i`ve made a very tentative start on painting some fire damage effects on the back.
`ere be some pics............
IMG20211003124000.jpg
IMG20211003124036.jpg
IMG20211003124202.jpg
So there you have have it up to now,more painting to be done this afternoon,it`s starting to look a bit "Knocked out Thing" now i hope!
As always,thanks for looking in and all hints/tips/or plain old abuse welcomed!!
Cheers,
Andy

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just found this Andy, very interesting.
the shape reminds me of the T60 Katyusha . Just about the same devastation when used.
Love the idea of it being knock out , the blast damage to the rear is great.

Love to Rach and the beast .

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Very nice work Mr. Smiff!!! Looks very devastated indeed and a great credit to your destructive skills Andy. Or were you scared to try and get all the barrels to line up straight and correctly..............Inquiring minds want to know...........

Prost
Allen (Ret.)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy, a very nice start.

Well done.

Andrew

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mmmm, I still think that's repairable --- a weld here, patch there, another weld and perhaps - another kit! Looking good mate! Well done.
Steve :face-with-head-bandage:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
the Ontos had a form of suspension, which involved a lot of rubber, the tracks were similar to the WWII half track, in that they were steel reinforced rubber - any damage which involved heat or fire would cause them to disintegrate or melt. Now how you would model that- I have no idea!!!!!!!
Dave
ps. I have read that it was difficult for modelmakers to get proper dimensions off museum examples, because the suspension had decayed & collapsed - also the impossiblity of getting rubber tracks means that running survivors are non-existent