It`s a THING!!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Rubber tracks (and roadwheel tyres) don’t generally melt when the vehicle catches fire. If the rubber gets hot enough, it will start to burn and leave behind pale grey to white ash. Since the suspension of the M50 involves rubber springs, though, those would burn away and the vehicle drops to the ground, as far as the suspension arms will let it anyway. The tracks would probably retain some of their rubber parts, away from the actual vehicle fire, and you’d have steel cables (possibly snapped because of the heat) visible instead where the rubber did burn away.

Another consideration, not about the tracks, is that Ontos crews tended to stash spare ammo inside the vehicle, because it had very limited ammo stowage. Many apparently even removed the commander’s seat and had him sit on a pile of ammo instead :smiling3: I mention this because the main cause of fires in AFVs is the propellant of spare ammunition, when that gets spilled and set off by hits that penetrate the armour.

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just found this Andy, very interesting.
the shape reminds me of the T60 Katyusha . Just about the same devastation when used.
Love the idea of it being knock out , the blast damage to the rear is great.

Love to Rach and the beast .
Cheers John,
Yeah,i agree that the Katyusha would have been as frightening,(But somehow,when i see the "Stalin`s Organs firing off in their salvos :flushed: ,and similarly the German "Nebelwerfer" ),they both seem a much more chilling machine to me!:rolling:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nice work Mr. Smiff!!! Looks very devastated indeed and a great credit to your destructive skills Andy. Or were you scared to try and get all the barrels to line up straight and correctly..............Inquiring minds want to know...........

Prost
Allen (Ret.)
Thank you kindly mate:thumb2:,
Well,i did intend to build this up as a knackered bit of machinery..... and having heard the comments about trying them full on,i`m very pleased i did!!;)
Andy

Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking suitably bent out of shape Andy. Nice job.
Thank you very much Tim:thumb2:,
"Bent out of shape"..... the same name of a "Rainbow" album i had back in the day...... although one that`s probably best forgotten!!:poop:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy
Nice looking damage. Realistic damage is hard to get right but you're certainly on the right track.
jim
Wow,Thanks for that Jim:smiling4:,
It certainly is tricky,and i`ve a long way to go yet..... here`s hoping i don`t stuff it up!!:anguished:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Mmmm, I still think that's repairable --- a weld here, patch there, another weld and perhaps - another kit! Looking good mate! Well done.
Steve :face-with-head-bandage:
:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:.... Nice one Steve:thumb2:
I`m sure "We can fix it"..... but why bother?!!!
I see your wounded emoji there.... are you OK mate?!!
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy,
the Ontos had a form of suspension, which involved a lot of rubber, the tracks were similar to the WWII half track, in that they were steel reinforced rubber - any damage which involved heat or fire would cause them to disintegrate or melt. Now how you would model that- I have no idea!!!!!!!
Dave
ps. I have read that it was difficult for modelmakers to get proper dimensions off museum examples, because the suspension had decayed & collapsed - also the impossiblity of getting rubber tracks means that running survivors are non-existent
Thanks Dave,lots of good info there :thumb2:,
I have no idea re the wheel/tyre damage either,so as you`ll see...... i`ve made it up as i went along!;)....
I`m not a modeller who does EVERTHING to get things spot on..... but i do invest a bit of time checking things out,and get it as close as i can!
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Rubber tracks (and roadwheel tyres) don’t generally melt when the vehicle catches fire. If the rubber gets hot enough, it will start to burn and leave behind pale grey to white ash. Since the suspension of the M50 involves rubber springs, though, those would burn away and the vehicle drops to the ground, as far as the suspension arms will let it anyway. The tracks would probably retain some of their rubber parts, away from the actual vehicle fire, and you’d have steel cables (possibly snapped because of the heat) visible instead where the rubber did burn away.

Another consideration, not about the tracks, is that Ontos crews tended to stash spare ammo inside the vehicle, because it had very limited ammo stowage. Many apparently even removed the commander’s seat and had him sit on a pile of ammo instead :smiling3: I mention this because the main cause of fires in AFVs is the propellant of spare ammunition, when that gets spilled and set off by hits that penetrate the armour.
JAKKO!! As ever mate.... THANK YOU for your info:thumb2:,
There`s an awful lot of interesting,and essential,points that you`ve aired!
Some i had thought of.and others not,(I.E. i decided to not make up fully loaded ammo racks).... all the rest i have tried to address,but this is my take on a burnt out wreck of this era.... see what you you make of my my meagre offerings!!
Andy

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:.... Nice one Steve:thumb2:
I`m sure "We can fix it"..... but why bother?!!!
I see your wounded emoji there.... are you OK mate?!!
Andy
Yup, fine mate - thanks for asking! Appreciate your concern -but in the words of the Jakkobites -Alles Klaar! (Sorry Jakko!) All is good, I was trying a little West Ham 'Irony'!
Steve

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evening guys,
This`ll be just a quick update as the evening meal,(Well,that sounds posh.... so i should`ve just said Tea!!),
I`ve started the external damage :thumb2: ....
IMG20211009170206.jpg
IMG20211009164419 (2).jpg
IMG20211009170301 (2).jpg
So there it is for now!.... The pics are a bit garish,but once this AFV is complete,it`ll be just adding finishing touches to the Figures,and Diorama features!
But for now,i hope you`re enjoying the progress!!
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thank you very much Tim:thumb2:,
"Bent out of shape"..... the same name of a "Rainbow" album i had back in the day...... although one that`s probably best forgotten!!:poop:
Andy
Any band that uses the line “don’t know about your brain, but you look alright” is probably best forgotten Andy…..

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
i decided to not make up fully loaded ammo racks
A vehicle in a combat zone has a plausible reason for not having any ammunition, of course, especially one that carried as little as the M50 did :smiling3:

see what you you make of my my meagre offerings!!
It’s looking quite convincing so far, I think. The interior needs to be blackened up if you intend to leave the doors open, but the outside is looking rather good already.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Definitely an insurance right off so there goes your no claims bonus :rolling:
Jim

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Some very nice work there mon ami, definitely looking worse for wear.
Nice to see you mentioned having tea, my OH is from Sussex and, even though she's been up here for over 10 years now, still insists it's dinner. My dinner time was 12 o'clock but I'll keep trying :hungry: :smiling5: