It`s only a 223

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evenin` Chaps.....
So,as said in my other thread,i`ll be doing a little build alongside my 1/9th Zundap combi.....
and i`ve decided to go back to WW2 German again,with this......
IMG20220409173211.jpg

It`ll be more or less OOTB..... probably familiar to many of you,it is,after all,a staple Tamiya kit:cool:.... couple of sprue pics.....
IMG20220409173217 (1).jpg

IMG20220409173234.jpg

Pretty standard fare... and first stage completed,typically straight forward and enjoyable:thumb2:.......
IMG20220409182657 (1).jpg
More tomorrow,anyone who fancies tagging along will be more than welcomed:nerd:,
Cheers for now,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy
That's a nice kit. I built it many years ago and I seem to remember it as a straightforward build.
Jim
Nice one Jim:thumb2:,
Yes,from what i`ve done so far,and looked at further ahead,it looks to be a doddle of a build....
.......apart from that horrendous Black mesh that Tamiya used to provide for Grille covers:poop: of course!!:tears-of-joy:
Andy

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
And don't forget the jerry cans with only 2 carry handles instead of three, on top Andy...........So wrong and need to be replaced............I'm in for this one Bro...........

Prost
Allen

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
And don't forget the jerry cans with only 2 carry handles instead of three, on top Andy...........So wrong and need to be replaced............I'm in for this one Bro...........

Prost
Allen
Received and understood Allen :smiling3:
It does amaze me the sheer amount of different "styles" of Jerry cans you see from various manufacturers... From the correct to the down right ridiculous,( I.E. just one huge,solid handle),and everything in between!!
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Those are the wrong type, though — they’re the British copy :smiling3:

Here is some more inspiration, I hope:

Yep,I noticed that too! ;)
Thanks for those vids.... A great help indeed mate :smiling3:
Andy

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Received and understood Allen :smiling3:
It does amaze me the sheer amount of different "styles" of Jerry cans you see from various manufacturers... From the correct to the down right ridiculous,( I.E. just one huge,solid handle),and everything in between!!
Andy
Since the 70's, at least, water jerricans have been supplied in black or green plastic with a large single, central, handle! All had large, central, screw outlets!
Don't know if they still come that way!
Steve

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Since the 70's, at least, water jerricans have been supplied in black or green plastic with a large single, central, handle! All had large, central, screw outlets!
Don't know if they still come that way!
Steve
Yep,good point Steve :smiling3:
More recent ones certainly were, although it's the WW2 kit subjects that I was predominantly thinking of ;)
Andy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Most of that is because in the 1970s, some manufacturers (﹡cough﹡Tamiya﹡cough﹡) took what back then were more or less acceptable shortcuts, like moulding jerrycans in two halves with a handle on each side. Today, modellers expect them to be slightly more accurate, but as those same old kits remain in production, you will still encounter those older types.

Yep,I noticed that too! ;)
You can just see the W↑D marking that’s been stamped into the jerrycans: this is a picture from a British factory :smiling3:

It does nicely illustrate, though, the reason the American jerrycans were not as good but quicker and cheaper to make: welding the two halves of the jerrycan makes them perfectly watertight and very strong, but look at all the people needed to do that. Because the Americans considered the idea sound but the execution to be too complicated, American cans had two sides and a bottom that were seamed together rather than welded, which is quicker but they would split much more easily at the seams.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I`ve had a change of direction with this......
Could a Mod please move it to "Dioramas under construction" please,before i post up further progress:thumb2:
..... tried to do it myself,but failed miserably!! :tears-of-joy:
Cheers,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Guys,
Now that Jerrycangate has been sorted:tears-of-joy:
Thanks to AlanG moving this thread :thumb2:,i can now post up my intentions for the 223 as part of an ickle dio:cool:.....
..... after i`ve had my,(Belated),tea!!:hugging-face:.......

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK then Muchachos ..... ere we go!!.....
The Dio will comprise of these elements......
The 223,as you well know,but now underway in primer.....
IMG20220412190410 (1).jpg
Next the plan,(ish!!;)).... The Bunker...
IMG20220409174329 (1).jpg

It`s a basic kit which as you can see,will take some improving.... however,i think it has potential :rolling:,next up,the troops.....
IMG20220410142834 (1).jpg
,,,Had these for ages,lost the box.... but here`s some stock pics of what they SHOULD look like!!:dizzy:.....
troops1.jpg
troops2.jpg
The base will be kinda small... just to suit:thumb2:
Just a last question if you don`t mind......
I wanna do this thing as a "Grey`d camo",do you think that MG emplacement ,and troops,would fit right with a Dark Grey painted 223?
Andy