It`s only a 223

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Chaps......
Thanks all for your comments,,,,, sadly,the Vehicle sank into the "Mud",so no longer moveable.... and the Pill Box itself,due to it`s footprint,and size of base can`t be repositioned either :flushed:,
Sorry about that,but i`ll plod on anyway.... i kinda like it!! ;)
ANYWAY,thanks to Paul Eb`s suggestion earlier,i`ve made a start at trying to,not only improve the groundwork,but also put some Live based "Camo" atop of the emplacement........ early days,and needs some blending in,with the camo paintwork i`ve yet to do on the walls,but it`s not that far off!:thinking:
Thanks for looking in,
Andy........
IMG20220514144326 (2).jpg
IMG20220514144345 (2).jpg

IMG20220514144248 (2).jpg

........ Cheers!!:thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evenin` Guys,
Not a shocking amount of progress to report!:fearful:
..... However,after my post on John Race`s "Mojo thread",i thought i should at least just show that i`ve been trying to do SOMETHING on this!!:flushed:....
I`m rubbish at figures,but still chug along doing em!!..... This is,as always with my posts,"Warts an all"!!...... There`s a long wat to go with them,even for me!!...but these are the chaps i`m intending to use..,.....
IMG20220522165117.jpg

IMG20220522165134.jpg

IMG20220522165155.jpg
as i said,there`s a long way to go with these,(mainly because i`m not very good with em!!),but at least it`s some progress!!:astonished:
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
So if you are rubbish with figures, as you say, where are they then. We want pictures…... Those you have posted look pretty good to me Andy, so there must be some more somewhere.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
They look good to me too Mr. Smiff. Very nice work there......Is it me or the camera angle, that makes the guy on the left look like Andre the Giant against the other 3??.......Probably me..............

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They look good to me too Mr. Smiff. Very nice work there......Is it me or the camera angle, that makes the guy on the left look like Andre the Giant against the other 3??.......Probably me..............

Prost
Allen
Thicker bases Allen……..both end chaps are on mountains compared to the others.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It's defo you Allen.........It's just the bases are different......And Smitty, your figs look the bomb to me and I don't need glasses....already got 'em! :thumb2: :thumb2: ;)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I ain't too sure.....In the first pic, he does look a lot larger...........
You are right Allen I laid my calipers on the screen and it looks like he is a few scale inches taller than the rest of the crew.......not a GIANT........just taller, you know, like the difference between 6 foot and 6 foot 4 inches........... :thinking:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Evenin` Guys,
Not a shocking amount of progress to report!:fearful:
..... However,after my post on John Race`s "Mojo thread",i thought i should at least just show that i`ve been trying to do SOMETHING on this!!:flushed:....
I`m rubbish at figures,but still chug along doing em!!..... This is,as always with my posts,"Warts an all"!!...... There`s a long wat to go with them,even for me!!...but these are the chaps i`m intending to use..,.....
View attachment 453905

View attachment 453906

View attachment 453907
as i said,there`s a long way to go with these,(mainly because i`m not very good with em!!),but at least it`s some progress!!:astonished:
Andy
Not bad Andy, with your mojo ebbing and flowing will these guys be standing there for the duration...seems torturous. You can make it less comfortable by shining a lamp on them and put a scale bucket of water just in front of them. :smiling5:

Cheers,
Richard

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The figures look spot on, as does the base.
Cheers Scottie,much appreciated:thumb2:,
So if you are rubbish with figures, as you say, where are they then. We want pictures…... Those you have posted look pretty good to me Andy, so there must be some more somewhere.
HA! Nice one Tim,too kind,I quite enjoy painting the uniforms and equipment,it`s just the bloody FACES:tired: that get me all the time! Well,that and trying to get the overall smooth blending of colours..... mine always seem to look "clunky" to me!!

Prost
Allen
Thanks Allen,Size wise...... read on Sir!!;)
It's defo you Allen.........It's just the bases are different......And Smitty, your figs look the bomb to me and I don't need glasses....already got 'em! :thumb2: :thumb2: ;)
Thanks very much Rick,and i tend to agree with you ref the bases causing the apparent difference in height:thinking:.
Not bad Andy, with your mojo ebbing and flowing will these guys be standing there for the duration...seems torturous. You can make it less comfortable by shining a lamp on them and put a scale bucket of water just in front of them. :smiling5:

Cheers,
Richard
Hee Hee,tempting Richard.... VERY tempting!!:tears-of-joy: It has been a long haul,but i WILL get them finished and on the base:thumb2:,

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So then,
I`m determined to get these guys finished and onto the base this weekend,then i can clear the decks ready for the coming Wingy GB,:cool:
So the next time you see them it`ll be over in the "Completed Diorama" section:thumb2:,
In the mean time,here`s a pic with a bit more painting done,and the blocks cut away to clarify "Heightgate".............

IMG20220527170042.jpg
I think they`re pretty much the same height,no "Giants" lurking!!:tears-of-joy: So my weekend,(Benchtime wise),will mostly be final detailing and pulling the colours together,
As always,thanks very much for looking in,and adding your input Guys:thumb2:,
Cheers for now,
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Seem to have missed quite a bit. Figures look fine and let's be honest figures as part of a dio are not looked at as closely as stand alone figures. Base is coming on a treat. The end is definitely in sight.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
HA! Nice one Tim,too kind,I quite enjoy painting the uniforms and equipment,it`s just the bloody FACES:tired: that get me all the time! Well,that and trying to get the overall smooth blending of colours..... mine always seem to look "clunky" to me!!
Your faces look fine. A nice clean finish with decent colouration.

However, if you want to try something different, try this, perhaps on a spare head or hand. I know I keep banging on about it, but get some Vallejo Flesh wash….it really does work Andy…smooths out the blends as well……two coats of base colour, rough highlights, then a good blob of flesh wash. It’s what I use on the little blokes.
To smooth out blends on clothing an over all glaze can do wonders. Use Vallejo glaze medium to make up a thin glaze of the mid tone or shadow tone, and just paint it over the whole piece. It will remove the starkness of the blend and tie the area together. The medium is far more reliable than just water and won’t go chalky on you when you make really thin glazes. Glazing with light colours rarely works, by the way. They usually have too much white in them, which is a really opaque pigment. It took me years to work that out LoL…..

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy
Seem to have missed quite a bit. Figures look fine and let's be honest figures as part of a dio are not looked at as closely as stand alone figures. Base is coming on a treat. The end is definitely in sight.
Jim
Thanks Jim,
You`re right of course,once on a Dio the figures become less "Stark",therefore some imperfections kinda "Vanish"!! ;) :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Your faces look fine. A nice clean finish with decent colouration.

However, if you want to try something different, try this, perhaps on a spare head or hand. I know I keep banging on about it, but get some Vallejo Flesh wash….it really does work Andy…smooths out the blends as well……two coats of base colour, rough highlights, then a good blob of flesh wash. It’s what I use on the little blokes.
To smooth out blends on clothing an over all glaze can do wonders. Use Vallejo glaze medium to make up a thin glaze of the mid tone or shadow tone, and just paint it over the whole piece. It will remove the starkness of the blend and tie the area together. The medium is far more reliable than just water and won’t go chalky on you when you make really thin glazes. Glazing with light colours rarely works, by the way. They usually have too much white in them, which is a really opaque pigment. It took me years to work that out LoL…..
Cheers Tim:thumb2:,
Thanks for that info too,much appreciated,i`ll have a bash at both of those ideas,i`ve just bought a bottle of the flesh wash on Evil bay,and the Glaze medium i actually already had!(Never even unscrewed the cap since whenever it was i bought it,by the looks of it!:flushed::tears-of-joy:)
I`ll let you know of my results on some other figures,thanks again,
Andy

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Smitty.........you'll be amazed at the results. It even made a huge difference in the miniscule scale I work in. :thumb2: ;)