It Started With a Bike.....1/35 Alsace rest stop with playful kids.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Figures look great especially the 'home made' children. The rifles, the straps and all the other odds and ends will add immensely to the interest in the dio.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, I like the sound of "Home Made" just like pastries there's lots more added when made plus it's original and you get all the dinks and odd shapes that they come in. :smiling2: If it looks good in fashion, accessories always enhance the look of anything you put them on so why not dioramas.

The belt straps tbh are a little broad. I found better laser cut paper straps by Kamizukuri when in Japan and used them for my Pacific dio.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, before I fitted all the subassemblies and figures I had to fill the blank wall at the top left corner of the tower and decided on creeping ivy.

B99.jpg

Searched my box of lichen and found a suitable bunch which I sprayed in various shades of green and glued it onto the wall. The bunch wasn't exactly proper so I did a little pruning.

B103.jpg

I wanted some color to the ivy besides just green so I picked out spots with bright yellow for flowers.

B123.jpg

I made drain pipes from hollow plastic rods and strap holds from foil. The pipe is damaged and broken halfway down leaving some straps dangling from their supports on the wall.

B134.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi, before I fitted all the subassemblies and figures I had to fill the blank wall at the top left corner of the tower and decided on creeping ivy.

View attachment 427179

Searched my box of lichen and found a suitable bunch which I sprayed in various shades of green and glued it onto the wall. The bunch wasn't exactly proper so I did a little pruning.

View attachment 427180

I wanted some color to the ivy besides just green so I picked out spots with bright yellow for flowers.

View attachment 427181

I made drain pipes from hollow plastic rods and strap holds from foil. The pipe is damaged and broken halfway down leaving some straps dangling from their supports on the wall.

View attachment 427182

Cheers,
Richard
Loving watching all this come together Richard :thumb2: ,
I`m a big Diorama fan,(Can`t really see the point in taking the time to build a great AFV,only to put it on a shelf on it`s own!!),and it`s always great to see other`s approach to scratching buildings..... and if you don`t mind me saying so.......
..... This is a striking piece,worthy of many a show mate:cool: ,
Top,TOP stuff !!
Andy

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
As always your work shows great skill and attention to detail - yellow flowers are a really nice touch.
:thumb2:
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Oh my...thank you guys.
Brilliant!
:smiling2:...I don't know how to top that.
Loving watching all this come together Richard :thumb2: ,
I`m a big Diorama fan,(Can`t really see the point in taking the time to build a great AFV,only to put it on a shelf on it`s own!!),and it`s always great to see other`s approach to scratching buildings..... and if you don`t mind me saying so.......
..... This is a striking piece,worthy of many a show mate:cool: ,
Top,TOP stuff !!
Andy
I know what you mean Andy. At the moment it's tucked away in a corner of my shelf.
As above, just not made one myself yet.
Not too late to start one...
Richard,
Outstanding work and attention to detail as always mate.
As always Paul, your comments are most welcomed.
Hi Richard
As always your work shows great skill and attention to detail - yellow flowers are a really nice touch.
:thumb2:
Jim
I had thought of other colors but the Yellow Rose of Texas was playing in one of the movies I was watching and that was it.
Very nice Richard
Thank you Lee.
Loving the details!
I like making them as it makes dio making a tad more interesting.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi all,

Assembling all the components to the scene...

B106.jpg

Lot's of work more to go with the sleeping GI and the groundwork surrounding him...

B100.jpg

All the components in their proper spots

B107.jpg

Basic washes and dusting to mate the components to the base was done with pigments and diluted paint.

B108.jpgB109.jpg

Then of course the twig and leaves to tickle the GI with.

B110.jpg

The holster and belt on the bike is painted and dark pin washes applied to the GI.

B117.jpgB118.jpg

A discarded German helmet added for effect...

B119.jpg

The playing cards and rations still missing on the tarp...

B120.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, here are more images of the final touches with the tin cup, playing cards, rations and even grenades in the helmet.

First this is what it looks like in the glass case.

B127.jpg

No grenades here yet.

B128.jpg

Not here either...

B129.jpgB130.jpg

Can you see them?

B131.jpg

The tin cup has coffee in it as well...and the sleeping GI had a drink before he dozed off.

B132.jpgB133.jpgB134.jpg

There's a spoon in the newspaper reading GI's opened ration can.

B138.jpg

Thanks for looking in. I'll put this batch into the completed section.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard like the way the belts and strapping were made, esp using a needle to imprint. One to try and remember.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard like the way the belts and strapping were made, esp using a needle to imprint. One to try and remember.
John, remember to puncture on a hard surface like plastic sheet so the foil won't bend in.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Richard,
If I was to say I like that I'd be lying - I LOVE IT! Outstanding! Excellent work, and excellent motivation for one lesser mortal! Thanks --- I think!
Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you Steve. It was an enjoyable build at every step. The only drawback was I rushed through it and should have taken more time with it.

Cheers,
Richard

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Not sure how I just stumbled on this but - wow! This is an amazing, inspiring build. So much to learn, lots of great technique, and brilliant insights into the care and thought need to make sure it all fits together - e.g. smoothing out that sitting girl's skirt so it touches the step properly. Getting all the details right is a lot of extra work, but the end result is just [chef's kiss] - bravo!

First Name
Andrew
I missed it in July, but remember the enjoyable journey when you created it. So pleased to see this fantastic diorama again.
Andy