Italari 1/12 Renault RE20 Turbo

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

First disappointment with the Renault RE20 Turbo kit all these screws, springs and nuts are all in the same bag, when I bought the Mefistofeles it came with this case (ignore the ships rigging parts it what ive been using it for since) it just goes to show how manufacturers cut corners.

PSX-20210626-203640.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You do have you work cut out for you......great progress so far though. Rick H.

D

Deleted member 3568

The level of detail in this kit is awesome I love the way they've done the working suspension (not even left the first page of the instructions)
I decided to jump ahead a fair way on the instructions and mak a start on the engine.
Talk about detail it even had the gearbox casting number There are 28 parts to just those cylinder heads, the pulleys all work I've barely started the engine if this is what F1 kits are like I think I will be building lots more.

IMG-7270.jpg

IMG-7272.jpg
IMG-7271.jpg

IMG-7274.jpg

IMG-7278.jpg
IMG-7273.jpg

IMG-7277.jpg
IMG-7276.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Brings back memories of working Indy cars a bit. Both non-quals.

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Look very authentic. Why show cars that are driven don't use them.

D

Deleted member 3568

OK so you may have noticed I've not posted for a week, well the house insurance doesn't like people posting on social media when you are away.

We were in Scotland last week visiting my missus very poorly father.

We went on a walk up screel hill (they call it a hill, it's more like a small mountain) it was well worth the climb though the view was nothing short of spectacular.

I recon you could see for 30 miles in all directions (and that's not on a clear day)

IMG-7415.jpg
IMG-7412.jpg
IMG-7414.jpg
IMG-7413.jpg
IMG-7411.jpg
IMG-7410.jpg

Anyway back to the build more work done on the suspension and a start on weathering the front engine casing, lot more to do on this, for some reason my usual methods are not working I usually find mixing talc with the paint or sprinkling it on gives the white highlights I want also I generally add burnt umber to get a burnt on from heat oil effect none of which seem to be working here. I don't understand as I've used these methods for years and they've worked every time, can't think what I'm doing different, dementia I recon.

IMG-7407.jpg
IMG-7405.jpg
IMG-7406.jpg

IMG-7408.jpg

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nice pics from the Dumfries and Galloway area, one of my favourite places to ride on the motorbike. Engine is looking great and I am sure you will get the front casing right.

Andy.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks like 'turn your ankle country' to get to that view. Indeed spectacular.

D

Deleted member 3568

It was a struggle to get up there (I'm 64 with dodgy knees the missus is 62 with a bad back) but the views speake for themselves well worth the effort.
Andy if only I still had my bike it is beautiful country.
Hi all started back on the cockpit.

IMG-7419.jpg
IMG-7420.jpg
IMG-7421.jpg

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Add a little dab of different colors to differentiate them like 1:1.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ken

Sorry completely missed this. It looks very special indeed.

Good luck with the rest of the build.

ATB.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 3568

More work on the RE20 the ht leads are very soft rubber tubing onto which you are supposed to push these very hard vinyl plug caps, totally impossible so my answer get some copper wire file the end down so the rubber tube fits in then push the vinyl caps on the wire (at the thicker end) then slide the cap onto the tube.

IMG-7484.jpg

IMG-7482.jpg

IMG-7483.jpg

IMG-7488.jpg
IMG-7487.jpg
IMG-7486.jpg
IMG-7485.jpg
Those nuts on the suspension roots caused more than a few swear words what a pita (can't tell you how many times they ended up on the floor) a real trial of patience.

IMG-7489.jpg

IMG-7490.jpg