Italeri 1/24 Ford Transit Completed

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Gotta use the trims supplied Tony, but I got decals I can use on them so the band could justify the expense! The wheels fit over a split axle with a collar so they're free to rotate but look really toy-like. No prob to add a bit of rust to the wheels and leave the trims as flat aluminjum though. Thanks.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. Wait for it! The absolute worst job of spray painting you'll ever see. It's blotchy and uneven and the deep red blood colour it's supposed to be looks more like a deep pink - it's absolutely perfect for the old, faded look I wanted! It's not only Ron who has happy accidents! A couple of coats of Klear and I'll start decalling.

IMGP3752.JPGIMGP3753.JPG

No way would a 70s wannabe band have new tyres. Lots of work with heavy duty sandpaper and I've got rid of most of the tread and scuffed the sides. Bit of wash in the treads and I think they'll be OK. I've checked how the wheels go together and the way the discs fit, there's just the tiniest rim of steel showing. I've put a coat of steel down and I'll add some dings and rust tomorrow The discs themselves will get a coat of Tamiya flat aluminjum, Klear coat and decals then just a light dirt wash.

IMGP3754.JPG

First washes on the underneath - lots more to do yet.
IMGP3755.JPG

Another couple of questions though. Was the grille cover at the front steel or plastic, and what about the bumpers, were they chrome or plastic?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Dave, I'm clueless on your questions but man I can tell you are in your element!!! It is obvious to anyone with more than 2 brain cells, that this is where you belong...........Rock On!!!!!:cool:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Dave, I'm clueless on your questions but man I can tell you are in your element!!! It is obvious to anyone with more than 2 brain cells, that this is where you belong...........Rock On!!!!!:cool:
Rick! You woke up! Nice to see you and glad my work meets your expectations.

Long way to go yet though and plenty of opportunities for it to go wrong. Never done this sort of build before and despite seeing videos on techniques, it's always a bit nerve wracking when you try it yourself. I'd have my fingers crossed but that would make it tricky, so just keeping my toes crossed for now!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So now you know! The band called themselves the 'Blood Angels' after a series of characters in the Warhammer world.

Their van was originally plain white so they got a cheap re-spray and some decals to tart it up some. Decals were cheaper than a proper paint job, but even then they had to be kept small to keep the cost down. It didn't look too bad back in the day. Both the red and yellow were more vivid and the black stood out with a greater contrast against the darker red.

IMGP3756.JPGIMGP3757.JPGIMGP3758.JPGIMGP3759.JPGIMGP3760.JPG

I'm happy with how the rust effects turned out. Not perfect but good enough for me. I'll add a few more rust colours in and around some of the white areas where the paint has peeled. Then I think a spray with really, really dilute light grey will give it an overall dusty look. I've got some matt medium around somewhere. Could I use that with just a tiny drop of light grey paint and some thinner? I don't want to use just water with a touch of colour as there won't be enough bonding agent in the paint to hold it.

What do you reckon guys?

Attachments

• IMGP3761.JPG
    IMGP3761.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 1

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking well knackered now dave ! The grille was plastic , the bumpers were plastic for the end pieces and painted steel for the straight middle section , i know this for a fact as I had a little parking bump in my dads Sierra back in the day ( about 1984/5) while still learning to drive and guess what I hit and had to fork out for a new Bumper centre section ? Yes a mk 2 transit ! Strangely enough the plastic bumper on the Sierra was undamaged !

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Now this is what I call a paint job. just as it should be......Rough as a bear's a**e!

Brilliant work, Dave.

You rock, good buddy - or summat like that.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
You've cracked the look - perfect :thumb2:. Remember the Majestics in Tutti-Frutti?
1589712693238.png
Jim

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ha Ha ! loving this - I was selling Transit vans new at a Ford dealers in 1984 ....
Some good advise her about wheels and bumpers - correct detail.
I'll try to help too if I can !!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks everyone. It's your support that makes this site such a great place to be - I'd never have tried this on my own. Off to ruin the steel part of the front bumper - thanks Tony.

I'll be doing the plastic bumper parts dark grey as they would have faded over the years - does that sound OK?

No-one's come back with an answer to my paint question though?

Steve: Would a plain vanilla white Transit have had a black dashboard and front bulkhead?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Re the paint fading , is it Tamiya flat base youve got dave ? If it is be careful it can go very chalky even if thinned and mixed with a drop of paint . Make sure you mist it from a distance and only a fine coat , you can always give it a bit more if need be .Or you could always try rons patent dusting method , a bit of polyfilla dusted over with a big brush . Cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

I'll be doing the plastic bumper parts dark grey as they would have faded over the years - does that sound OK?

No-one's come back with an answer to my paint question though?
Yes to the bumper caps. some would fade to light grey / almost white on the upper surfaces where the sun caught it most.

And yes, matt medium with a drop of colour would work well to give you a translucent colour. I think a beige or sandy colour might give a better dust effect than grey though, or a few light layers of each.

EDIT: beaten to it :smiling5:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Tony: It's Vallejo Matt Medium but perhaps chalky would not be a bad thing to represent years of standing outdoors? I don't got no polyfilla so it's going to have to be paint!
Andy: Don't know if I can achieve a colour variation on the bumpers - depends on how steady I can hold my A/B - but I'll give it a go. I'll be priming the front bumper with white 'cos of the rusting I'll be showing, so a dark grey at the front should give an overspray giving a lighter grey on top - maybe!
I had thought about a grey for dust but your light brown seems to make more sense.

Thanks guys.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
David, now don't you start getting all complicated on me.

Keep it simple and let the juices flow!