Italeri 1/24 Magirus-Deutz

F

Fenlander

Yeahhhhh!!!! The Magirus-Deutz is finished at last. Must admit, like any model, the final fiddly bits have been a drag but I kept my patience and plodded on. It is at this stage that I get bored and rush the finish but I kept calm and carried on.... Now I am really happy with this one.

No decals, apart from number plate, on rear as they do not show where any should go and I am not sure, but at some point I will add the 'D' country plate and the speed limit when I find out which one it should be!

Few niggles. There is a great cab tilting hinge system which does not work due to the lower parts of the cab front. This means that all that time I put into the engine was a bit of a waste of time as it will never be seen again lol.  A severe lack off logical attachment points, especially the cargo box to the chassis. Also, although I double checked everything, it would be near impossible to fill this up with diesel as the filler cap is obscured.

I can only think a lot of this is down to the cross use of a lot of parts making some of them just not fit. The visor over the windscreen should have two, I believe, orange lights in the recesses. There are two clear lenses identified for this but sadly, they are about a quarter of the size needed. I will sort this later.

So, not a beginners kit and once the cargo box is glued in place, it becomes very difficult to handle due to its size and weight. Not helped by my relatively small desk space.

But, my second truck is complete and I have enjoyed %99.9999 of the build and paint.

Magirus-Deutz-9.jpg

Magirus-Deutz-10.jpg

Magirus-Deutz-11.jpg

Magirus-Deutz-12.jpg

Magirus-Deutz-13.jpg

Magirus-Deutz-14.jpg

Magirus-Deutz-15.jpg

Magirus-Deutz-16.jpg

Magirus-Deutz-17.jpg

Magirus-Deutz-18.jpg

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
This is why I don't post much WIP stuff, very limited audience  :smiling3:

Trucks are everyone's thing, its one of the few subjects which we all have some knowledge of first hand, we see them daily.

Awesome build Graham, factory fresh finish. Your two trucks will look good alongside each other on the shelf.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I like this a lot. I've been tempted to get truck kits in the past but I've been put off by the cost and the difficulty of the painting. Maybe if I can find one cheap enough ......

Is it just me or does this look a bit odd with the amount of overhang at the back? (Not down to you Graham - just the actual design). It gives me the feeling that if you started to load this from the back, you'd end up with it sitting on it's tail.

D

Deleted member 4539

Great looking model Graham.

And enjoying making it is the icing on the cake :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

I like this a lot. I've been tempted to get truck kits in the past but I've been put off by the cost and the difficulty of the painting. Maybe if I can find one cheap enough ......

Is it just me or does this look a bit odd with the amount of overhang at the back? (Not down to you Graham - just the actual design). It gives me the feeling that if you started to load this from the back, you'd end up with it sitting on it's tail.

It is a big cargo box Dave.  In fact, on this kit, the chassis is extended to carry it  :o . However, I am sure that like any goods vehicle the weight distribution is factored in.  Heaviest over the rear axel etc.  Not all big trucks are to cary heavy goods.  When this one leaves the factory it is destined to a Duck Feather suppliers in Peeking   9_9

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It is a big cargo box Dave.  In fact, on this kit, the chassis is extended to carry it  :o . However, I am sure that like any goods vehicle the weight distribution is factored in.  Heaviest over the rear axel etc.  Not all big trucks are to cary heavy goods.  When this one leaves the factory it is destined to a Duck Feather suppliers in Peeking   9_9

Yeah, OK! Back when I was driving for a small haulage company, my boss bought a second-hand flatbed. That had an extended bed for transporting sheets of foam insulation.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Graham. Is it staying this clean ? It would really make it better with some weathering, not that it's not any good as it is,I would still have it sat proud on the shelf.

F

Fenlander

Great work Graham. Is it staying this clean ? It would really make it better with some weathering, not that it's not any good as it is,I would still have it sat proud on the shelf.

Nope, this is showroom.  It would never have been used with the manufacturers logo all over it, this is definitely a show truck  :D

Last edited:
L

Leighbo

Really smart job on this, you may just have convinced me to try a truck at some point. Looks very realistic 

S

steve5

very clean work graham ,their is some incredibly diverse , and talented modeler's on this site ,

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
You knocked that one out of the park!! B|

Very neat! :D

First Name
Gwyn
Very good Graham, it is a pity it is not on display.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stevekir

A really nice tidy model, clean, excellent paint job. I like it a lot.