Italeri 1/35 " Barchino " Italian Explosive Motor Boat

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As my next build - a real oddity & rarity!
italeri barchino.jpg
The model came with a booklet, with a history & photos of the real thing. Sadly the booklet hasn't survived & the box is so battered I nicked the boxart off Scalemates.
It's a simple model & I'll put sprue pictures up tomorrow.................................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sprue shot - no detail pictures, 'cos there ain't much detail!
DSCF1892.JPG
A rather camp figure, just standing......................
DSCF1893.JPG
Decals & photo etch - all those wingnuts!
DSCF1894.JPG

Instructions are of the computer render type - I'd rather see iso line drawings..................DSCF1895.JPGDSCF1896.JPG

These explosive motor boats were used successfully by the Italian Navy in WWII. Their pilots must have been very brave men - their biggest success was the crippling of the heavy cruiser HMS York in Crete, which resulted in her having to be abandoned & scuttled. Unlike the similar Japanese Shinyo explosive motorboats they were not suicide craft, the pilot had a form of ejector seat/raft, with which he would escape after locking the controls on course. One thing I also found, was that were used by the fledgling Israeli Navy, to sink an Egyptian sloop in 1948!
Construction may be delayed, as my osteoarthritis has flared up, and single-handed modelmaking isn't to be recommended!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry to read of the osteoarthritis problem, certainly not the thing to have while attempting those wingnuts. They will be fun NOT .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I should have bought one of these when they were available at the LHS. Looks interesting Dave.

I am also experiencing arthritice on both the fingers in my hands. Every morning I struggle to close them. The index fingers are the most painful.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave i thought you was buildin that fire engine ? or is it done an i missed it ?
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I should have bought one of these when they were available at the LHS. Looks interesting Dave.

I am also experiencing arthritice on both the fingers in my hands. Every morning I struggle to close them. The index fingers are the most painful.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
my sympathies - I'm lucky in that it's only in my right hand ( at the moment! ), so at least I have one hand for myself!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
HI Dave i thought you was buildin that fire engine ? or is it done an i missed it ?
chris
Chris,
osteoarthritis in my right hand has flared up over the weekend, and stopped me from any benchtime - it's a matter of using ibuprofen gel to ease the pain & waiting until it goes away. There doesn't seem to be any trigger - it just happens occasionally :sad:. I can still use my left hand, but being right-handed, that isn't easy!
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
osteoarthritis in my right hand has flared up over the weekend, and stopped me from any benchtime - it's a matter of using ibuprofen gel to ease the pain & waiting until it goes away. There doesn't seem to be any trigger - it just happens occasionally :sad:. I can still use my left hand, but being right-handed, that isn't easy!
Dave
OH SORRY to hear that Dave like Richard has then well we hope you both get better soon
ATB Chris an jen

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looks interesting Dave. Not heard of these before.

Hope the osteoarthritis is back under control.

ATB.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Hope your problems improve. Not good for a hobby like ours.
I've never heard of a Barchino. Will you model it on water?
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
Hope your problems improve. Not good for a hobby like ours.
I've never heard of a Barchino. Will you model it on water?
Jim
I'm afraid it will be on it's stand - I did consider making it waterborne, but since the thing went at 30+ knots, it would be a real devil to depict, and I would have to source a pilot:confounded:. Just showing it floating at a stationary waterline wouldn't be any better than putting it on it's stand
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good start Dave, looks ok.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looks like there was some variation in how the upper deck (?) was fitted. Maybe you won't need all those wingnuts?

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Pretty straightforward so far. You'll definitely benefit from the leaving the hatch open.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a really lazy weekend, a bit more work on this...............
DSCF1921.JPG
Inside painted ivory, explosive charge olive grey. A bit of a dark wash to bring out the ribs & that'll do.
DSCF1920.JPG
The wingnuts securing the hatches have doubling pates around them, so some strip cut up & placed where needed - no marks on the plastic, so it's purely by eye. Decals added to panel - a lot of trouble - the decals were obstinately non-stick & a lot of decal solution was used eventually to keep them in place - one went AWOL, and I haven't yet found it! I brush painted the bottom of the hull, and I'm almost tempted to mask & brush paint the rest I'll see how I feel about it tomorrow!
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Any idea what that metal frame is on the bow for Dave ?