Italeri 1/35 Bedford Truck

J

James Robert Noble

italeri-241-bedford-truck-esc-135-h-m-2da-gm-D_NQ_NP_629378-MLA29020953683_122018-F.jpg

Hello guys! Just joined today and this is my first posting on the Forum and may I say it is very nice to see some old names and faces.
Looking around the site today and the quality builds in all scales I see are very inspiring indeed! :thumb2:

Well, my last build was the Tamiya LRDG which I enjoyed immensely so I carried on with the North African Campaign vibe and now I am close to completing the old Italeri Bedford Truck.

I have added Eduard Photo Etch, picked up some Resin Stowage but also bought the Tamiya 6 Pounder.

Will add some pics later to give you a peek of where I am at with the Ol' Gal and I look forward to any feedback.

Best Regards
James

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
also bought the Tamiya 6 Pounder.
If I may give tip: the Italeri one is a much more detailed kit. It represents the American version, but since you have the Tamiya one too, you should be able to transplant things like the wheels and perhaps cut down the barrel (by 11.5 mm) to make an early British one that would be appropriate on the back of this QLT.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
What a con selling a portee without the gun.

You used to get it in the Airfix boxing that I had and presumably in the original Max/Peerless days.

I believe Zvezda now have the mould of the original gun that came with the portee kit

J

James Robert Noble

Yes Simon! Peerless, Airfix and a more recent Italeri kit came with the 6 Pdr.
I had planned to just build this without it but you know how these things just grow legs. I remember Scottie doing a real cracker on MM and that inspired me to pick this kit up.

J

James Robert Noble

If I may give tip: the Italeri one is a much more detailed kit. It represents the American version, but since you have the Tamiya one too, you should be able to transplant things like the wheels and perhaps cut down the barrel (by 11.5 mm) to make an early British one that would be appropriate on the back of this QLT.
Thanks Jakko! Feel free to give tips at anytime! :thumb2: I was looking around for a decent 6 Pounder to go with my build but decided on the Tamiya one for cheapness. So the barrel is too long? Thanks buddy.

J

James Robert Noble

James,

This is the original that came with the truck

Zvezda 6lb
I had spotted this Kit Simon but it didn't have favorable reviews so decided on the Tamiya. ( And it was cheap as chips on Ebay! :rolling: )

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
What a con selling a portee without the gun.

You used to get it in the Airfix boxing that I had and presumably in the original Max/Peerless days.

I believe Zvezda now have the mould of the original gun that came with the portee kit
You did, and can remember it well, so well there is one in the stash.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
View attachment 364144

Hello guys! Just joined today and this is my first posting on the Forum and may I say it is very nice to see some old names and faces.
Looking around the site today and the quality builds in all scales I see are very inspiring indeed! :thumb2:

Well, my last build was the Tamiya LRDG which I enjoyed immensely so I carried on with the North African Campaign vibe and now I am close to completing the old Italeri Bedford Truck.

I have added Eduard Photo Etch, picked up some Resin Stowage but also bought the Tamiya 6 Pounder.

Will add some pics later to give you a peek of where I am at with the Ol' Gal and I look forward to any feedback.

Best Regards
James
Welcome to that sanitary, the other inmates will be along shortly. Good to see an old favourite brought to life again.
Mike

J

James Robert Noble

Welcome to that sanitary, the other inmates will be along shortly. Good to see an old favourite brought to life again.
Mike
Hi Mike, many thanks for the welcome. Us lunatics must stick together! :tongue-out3:

J

James Robert Noble

Welcome James, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Looks to be an interesting build with or without the gun.
Cheers, Rick H.
Many Thanks for the welcome Rick! I have seen some very amazing finishes with this Kit so I hope I can replicate that... ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
So the barrel is too long?
The old Italeri kit (which, as Simon mentions above, is now produced by Zvezda) is of the 57 mm antitank gun M1, which was the American version of the British 6-pounder anti-tank gun. The very first British guns, the Mk. I, had an L/50 barrel too, but a lack of lathes long enough to produce them meant most of the initial production, the Mk. II, used L/43 barrels instead, without a muzzle brake — this is the one that would have been used in North Africa. The Mk. IV had the L/50 barrel, with a muzzle brake in British service but not on the American guns. In 1:35 scale, the L/43 barrel would be about 11.5 mm shorter than the L/50 gun (without muzzle brake), so the simplest way to convert the Zvezda kit would be to just remove that much from its barrel and add the British wheels from the Tamiya kit. I’m sure there would be more details that need changing, but these two would be the most obvious things to modify.

A little research turns up that there are much more modern kits of this gun from AFV Club and Riich Models; the latter is apparently also sold in a Bronco box. The Zvezda one would be the cheaper option, though, and of about the same age and detail as your Bedford :smiling3:

J

James Robert Noble

Hi Jakko, so the Tamiya 6 Pdr must be the Mk.IV as it has the muzzle brake? Did this version see action in North Africa?

In all the photos I have seen of 6 Pdr's in North Africa I am not seeing any with a Muzzle Brake. :confused:

135_tamiya_britist_army_6_pounder_anti_tank_gun_1494324302_3d74801b.jpg