Italeri 1/35 Bedford Truck

J

James Robert Noble

Would the MkIII for the Crusader tank etc look better? 6Pdr data seems to have that at a L/43 but RB Models have it as L/36.5?

J

James Robert Noble

:rolling: :tears-of-joy:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191126-194652_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191126-194652_Chrome.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20191126-194902_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191126-194902_Chrome.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20191126-195132_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191126-195132_Chrome.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 9

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I could still cut back at the breech block as you suggested
Don’t cut it at the breech! :smiling3: What I meant was measure 72.5 mm forward from the front edge of the breech and cut the barrel there. Like this:

6pounder.png

This because in British guns, the barrel length in calibres is measured from the rear end of the chamber (which for a model can be equated to the forward edge of the breech). I mention this because German guns include the length of the breech in the L/whatever designations.

Would the MkIII for the Crusader tank etc look better? 6Pdr data seems to have that at a L/43 but RB Models have it as L/36.5?
I don’t think that would be a good choice. The tank guns often had muzzle counterweights or thread protectors (I’m not sure off the top of my head what they are), that the antitank guns didn’t.

J

James Robert Noble

Don’t cut it at the breech! :smiling3: What I meant was measure 72.5 mm forward from the front edge of the breech and cut the barrel there. Like this:

View attachment 364665

This because in British guns, the barrel length in calibres is measured from the rear end of the chamber (which for a model can be equated to the forward edge of the breech). I mention this because German guns include the length of the breech in the L/whatever designations.

I don’t think that would be a good choice. The tank guns often had muzzle counterweights or thread protectors (I’m not sure off the top of my head what they are), that the antitank guns didn’t.

Brilliant Jakko! Yes! I meant I'll cut it measuring from the Breech! Many Thanks for your help buddy! Totally appreciated.

Was at the Bench last night but didn't get much done at all. Had an early night too but got my mindset for some serious inroads on the Bedford tonight.

J

James Robert Noble

Thanks Steve! Chassis alignment went really well buddy but because I had attached mud flaps etc early on I was forever knocking them off! :loudly-crying::tears-of-joy:
Need to plan my builds better and leave these things to last. Still a we bit to go, hoping to bash on tonight, but looking forward to the painting too!

J

James Robert Noble

Thanks Guys! As always the feedback and advice is totally appreciated!

This build itself has gone fairly well to date even with such an old kit.
On a personal level I have a deep pile rug under the table I work on, so that will be moved next build. I've been in a constant battle with the Rug Monsters! ;)

There are a few things that need tided up like the Spare Wheel etc so I will do that before my next layer of Primer.
Photos are a tad dark so the next round will have some natural light on the build.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi James, sorry for not seeing this earlier...so far it's pretty nice under the primer. I like these old kits...there's something about the uncrispiness of the moldings that somehow ages the look of the vehicle for that specific period.

Cheers,
Richard

J

James Robert Noble

Hi Richard! How are you? Absolute no need to apologise buddy!
I totally agree. Oldies but definitely goldies! I have got the North African Campaign bug at the moment and keen to complete a Pz.III next so may try a newer kit build this time. Hopefully a wee break from the Photo Etch!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
May I advise you don’t put those two tall, ribbed boxes into the truck? They’re American insulated coolers, AKA “mermite cans”, that would be very appropriate in a truck towing a gun in Vietnam, but not in the Western Desert in the 1940s :smiling3:

aefe90847da1abe0d3c7fd05c2f6a5ce.jpg

The tall metal ammunition box (with the diagonal reinforcing rib) that’s in front of them in the photos is also a post-war item, either for 20 mm cannon or 40 mm automatic grenade launchers.

J

James Robert Noble

Jakko! This model is a time travelling Bedford Truck! She has served in all campaigns! She earned Her stripes in Vietnam! Mostly ferrying GI's to the happy spots in downtown Saigon for well deserved R&R! :flushed::tears-of-joy:
Seriously though, thanks buddy! Well spotted! I won't be using that peice of stowage kit. Infact I will only be using a few ammo boxes and the rolled up kit. I just wanted to see how it looked with the stowage instead of the 6Pdr. Working on that today and I'm going to nip out this afternoon to my LHS for some more Primer and Paints. Thanks again though fella! :thumb2:

J

James Robert Noble

Now, I was going to give the Caunter Camo a blast as I have the AK set for that but I never used that brand in the Air Wand before so I will stick with an all over Light Stone look. I used Tamiya a XF57, XF 59 and XF2 mix on my LRDG but I would like it to look a lot lighter. I have a warm air blower on the Bedford now so I hope to start tonight.

AK Interactive Caunter scheme 1940 41 Africa And Mediterranean DSC_6409AK Interactive Caunter ...jpg