Italeri 1/35 Semovente L40

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Started 3 days ago with this new build.
Some pics to show the initial steps.
Of course, all has been done correctly, it's minion's merit while what is messy it's mine.;)
IMG_6143r.JPGIMG_6184.JPGIMG_6156r.JPGIMG_6150r.JPG
The hull has been used to test some different tones of sand; I haven't chosen yet which one will be sprayed as soon as the weather turns to dry. In the meantime, it looks as if the cat painted it.:smiling4:

The tracks are treated with two home made mixtures, first the one made of vinegar, lemon juice and rusty nails, then the second one made of tea leaves soaked in Tamiya X20A thinner.

A final thought: they rally had guts to fight in those tanks!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Big fan of the Italian tankettes. You have done a great job with this one.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Liking it Andrea, love the internal details.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Liking the interior bit you've done Andrea. Both the tracks need another round of soaking I think.

Cheers,
Richard

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Steve and John: thank you for your encouraging comments.
Richard: Yes, the tracks will undergo further treatments, including dusting but for the moment I'm leaving the job to my "sorcerer's mixtures" and the plastic bag where the tracks have been secluded :sick: .

Today just a little step further: fenders and some minor detail.
IMG_6193r.JPG
My main concern for the incoming phase is about the alignment of the upper hull to the lower: the kit provides single plates for both sides and front upper hull. I foresee a long struggle and the intense use of a vocabulary no docker would hear without shame :tongue-out3:.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Slow progress: again some details added and several dry fitting tests (soundtrack omitted :smiling4: ).

IMG_6200r.JPG
Not really unsatisfied but the upper hull will need more testing before glueing.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Still in slow motion mode but almost ready for painting, with upper hull still dry fitted.
The junction between upper and lower hull is not up to my expectations yet, but I'm confident ... :worried: .Here are two more pics of the L40.
IMG_6224r.JPG IMG_6229r.JPG

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Thank you Paul.
After 35 years out of the modelling world I still have to regain some confidence and acquire new skills as, technically speaking, there has been an impressive evolution since 1987.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Andrea, I have that challenge of confidence everytime I start on a new kit which is quite exciting. Anything can happen with the current speed of evolution. Who knows scratch building might be a dying art if 3D printing becomes as affordable as the inkjet printer.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Andrea complimenti fa piacere vedere mezzi ltaliani... :smiling6: :smiling6: :smiling6:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
For those who are following this build: sorry for the interruption but I'm still affected from the death of the cat who chose us as his humans and modelling is not so attractive to me for the moment.
IMG_20200413_203218r.JPG
Moreover, I'm now focusing my forlorn remaining mojo on the new "cave".
IMG_6245r.JPGIMG_6246r.JPG
Hope you will be still there when I'm back.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andy
You have my utmost sympathy for your loss. We have two of the little scamps, but one is now getting to that age.....once you feel better remember that there are many animals out there that are looking for the same care you obviously gave this chap.
Nice man cave by the way.....working in there will make building a pleasure....

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sad to read of your loss Andrea, Tim has a point there, maybe a good thing to do in time.

Nice to see the new cave now you have moved, looks very light , you'll soon have those shelves filled.
We will still be here.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
For those who are following this build: sorry for the interruption but I'm still affected from the death of the cat who chose us as his humans and modelling is not so attractive to me for the moment.
View attachment 388768
Moreover, I'm now focusing my forlorn remaining mojo on the new "cave".
View attachment 388764View attachment 388765
Hope you will be still there when I'm back.
sorry for your loss... mi spiace... those little hair-balls give us sooo much...