Italeri 1/48 AC-130

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Here I go guys. Having managed to get both replacement decals and a set of masks, this has finally reached the top of the pile. (Apologies for the long wait Graham (Fenlander). I know you were interested when you had a look in the box when I bought it at the Hinckley show those many, many years ago)

IMGP3203.JPG

Lots of the parts have either fallen off or been removed from the sprues for test fitting, but you still get a big pile of parts

IMGP3204.JPG

I know it doesn't really compare with the R/C builds that Barry (Wonwinglo) does, but for a plastic kit, some of the parts are pretty big.

IMGP3205.JPG
IMGP3206.JPG

IMGP3207.JPG

I started some of the sub assemblies last night. As you can see, you can't have too much tape or too many clamps

IMGP3208.JPG

IMGP3209.JPG

Apologies for the blurry pictures. Having a shaky day. Did I mention its big?

IMGP3210.JPG

For those that want to know, the wingspan is about 33" (84cm) and length about 25" (63cm)

The instructions would have you build the cockpit and rear deck separately then join the front to the back. A couple of the reviews I read say you're better off joining the front and back halves of the fuselage first, then joining the two lateral halves together. I wasn't going to argue with better builders than me.

A little game for you guys though. Spot the seam between the front and back halves

IMGP3211.JPG
IMGP3212.JPG

Don't let the white lines fool you. That's just bits of sanding dust where I polished out a few glue marks. The raised panel lines indicate just how little sanding was needed.

Despite the age of the kit, and the flash and seam lines that go with older kits, the overall fit of the parts is excellent when they're cleaned up.

I am going to have to do some guessing though. Italeri have made several versions of the Hercules, and there are alternative parts provided in the kit. Unfortunately, I've not found anywhere on the instructions which tell you what to add or leave out for specific versions. I'm not in the least worried whether a couple of windows were blanked out, or different aerials were fitted. Overall it looks like a Hercules to me and that's good enough. I only mention this 'cos I know some of you guys like to be as accurate as possible, so you know you'll need good references for this kit.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave.
A big one at that, like the inclusion of the paint bottle to give us an idea of the size, some serious amount of plastic there.
Considering the size of the sections it's going to get her well . No sign of any warping ?

D

Deleted member 7181

Watching in on this as its something I'd like to build in the near future. Terrible internet where I am so can't see all the pictures but from the dimensions you give she's going to be a big 'un.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm not in the least worried whether a couple of windows were blanked out, or different aerials were fitted. Overall it looks like a Hercules to me and that's good enough.
Quite right Dave!
Pete

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Dave.
A big one at that, like the inclusion of the paint bottle to give us an idea of the size, some serious amount of plastic there.
Considering the size of the sections it's going to get her well . No sign of any warping ?

I've not seen any warping - certainly not on the big pieces where you might expect it. The only build issue is the flash on virtually every piece. The plastic is very hard so a simple scrape with a knife blade takes care of most of it. Sanding sticks and polishing sponges take care of the rest.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice and big. I haven't built anything big in ages. Nice to hear it's going together well.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice big one Dave:thumb2:, have built a newer version of Italeri many moons ago had the same raised detail though.

When you assemble it all together, painting the Herc will be an exercise in weightlifting too.:tongue-out3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And here’s some references in addition to Paul’s, in case you want to put in a crew:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the info guys. The kit has six guns in total so I'll be going with that. I'm currently playing around with ideas how I might be able to fix the guns after I build the aircraft. If I follow the instructions and install them early, I can guarantee that I'll break one or more during the build!

I'd like to add some of the internal details as shown in your pictures Paul, but I'll need to find some more reference pictures. If I find any, maybe I'll have a go at scratching some.

I'd not thought about putting crew figures in. A quick look and I've found these:

https:tongue-out3:/hlj.com/1-48-scale-us-pilot-ground-crew-set-b-hsgx48-5

I have no idea if their equipment/uniforms are exact, but they look like modern USAF to me so I'll add some if I can get some.

I wached the video Jakko. Despite the fact that the crew could have been raining down death and destruction, it looked like they'd have been more excited watching paint dry!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave, I'm thinking you have a 40mm, a 105mm, 2x 23mm Vulcans, & 2x 7.62 mini guns as in the top picture. I was hoping the pics & text would help you in how you build. I was surprised at 10 tons of ammo, that's a lot of bullets.
I think they were adjusting the guns & electronics on training targets. PaulE

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've just had a closer look at the guns Paul. I suspect I have 2x40mm, 2 Vulcans and 2 miniguns. I know some gunships had a 105mm but I don't think this version is one of them as I have three pairs of identical guns, and the 105mm would definitely look different to the others.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
That's a big n Dave and one mean machine. Looking forward to seeing this come together. Good luck with it cheers John

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've just had a closer look at the guns Paul. I suspect I have 2x40mm, 2 Vulcans and 2 miniguns. I know some gunships had a 105mm but I don't think this version is one of them as I have three pairs of identical guns, and the 105mm would definitely look different to the others.
I’ve never built it, but from old Italeri catalogs, I seem to recall this kit represents a relatively early type, from before the M102 105 mm howitzer was installed but after the initial conversions that had miniguns and 20 mm cannon only. Basically, the main type used in Vietnam.

It shouldn’t be that hard to modify the kit to have an M102, though, at least if you’re not putting in the interior bits for it as well.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
That’s a Big Bird! Dave looks like you’ve drawn a crowd on this one great work so far

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Praise where it's due folks! I ordered a replacement set of decals direct from Italeri last week (along with a set of figures).

I sent my payment late on Wednesday night and my parcel has just arrived from Italy. That's pretty good service - which seems to be getting more and more rare nowadays. Congratulations to Italeri for their good work.

PS Now I have no excuses for not finishing the build! I'll have more pics probably tomorrow. I'm also sure I've solved the problem of fixing the guns after the main build - instead of early which would leave them vulnerable to my clumsy hands! I'll be trying my solution later today I hope.