Italeri 1/48 AH-64D Longbow Apache

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks Tim.

The highlights I made are there, as always the camera doesn't pick them out!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Chris
Well all your patience and attention to detail has paid off. Paint looks to have gone on nicely. Hope the masking is ok. I always find it rather nerve wracking removing masking. How ever carefully it's done it's not until it's removed do you know how well it's worked.
Jim

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I've been on with this, albeit slowly.

I have painted > varnished > decaled > varnished and am a little deflated.

The paint colour is very bright under the gloss varnish and I've made a mistake with the radar dome. The instructions called for black and the real thing is a lighter shade of olive drab. I also think the main olive colour is too green.

Here it is varnished.

IMG_E3757.JPG

And with decals and second varnish coat.

IMG_3766.JPG

The decals are also too large when compared, so I'm not going to waste tears over it. I think I'll press on and get the panel line wash done, matt varnish and then clay wash it. If this doesn't tone it down I'll add some colour to the final matt varnish.

Last edited:

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks Steven.

Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike masking? :tears-of-joy:

The canopy has a whiteish line around the edge, so having deliberated on it a couple of days, decided I had to do it.

IMG_3771.JPG

Similarly on the blades. The actual aircraft has some measurement markers on the trailing edge so I made a mask out of a wide piece of tape that I'm hoping I can lift and place for all four.

IMG_3770.JPG

I really do hate masking!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent attention to detail chris , these tiny little things always make a huge difference .cheers tony

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Chris,

Just had a catch with this. I definitely would have given up, so very well done for persevering.

That has come out very nicely indeed, so very, very well done.

All the best.

Andrew

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Looks great. I remember making this one at probably 13 years old. Always been tempted to make another as an adult.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Missed this fantastic build Chris, it put up a battle all the way, but you've come up trumps with this great build.

Thanks Ian. I have enjoyed this, apart from the one blip over the colour, and am pleased with the result.

Chris,

Just had a catch with this. I definitely would have given up, so very well done for persevering.

That has come out very nicely indeed, so very, very well done.

All the best.

Andrew

Cheers Andrew. I really enjoyed challenging myself with this one. The enthusiasm for accuracy waned as I got closer to the end, but I am happy with it.

Looks great. I remember making this one at probably 13 years old. Always been tempted to make another as an adult.

Thanks to you too Jack. I would recommend this kit to anyone. It's not perfect, Italeri never are, but for the most part this kit goes together well.