Italeri 1/72 F-35 B Lightning II

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Looking great, really excellent finish. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Thanks James. Decals shouldn't take long and then it's on to 'phase 2'.

There’s a knack for picking subjects that are easy to build. If I ever find out how, I’ll let you know :smiling3:

There must be some kind of an algorithym for this. Maybe it's something like ((skill / skill actual) + (time / time actual)) x patience / cost??

Hi Chris
Well despite the near disaster it does look good. Very eyecatching.
Jim

Thank you Jim. It's this kindness that keeps me going sometimes!

Last edited:

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Update No. 14 - Painting finished and decals

This post is mainly to let out my frustration! :tired::tired:

I finished painting it. I think in total I've sprayed paint 7 times. I also applied the decals.

IMG_3502.JPG

And this is where the trouble starts. I noticed after I had sprayed a coat or two of the gloss varnish & real steel mix that the primer had bled into the air intakes, so I had to mask and repaint and revarnish them. When I was taking off the masking pretty much every decal under the masking came away on the tape and were unsaveable.

I assumed that this was down to too little varnish, but I have just masked the doors for internal painting that have had a couple of the metallic varnish, a decent coat of satin and then a coat of matt on top, and the decals are still coming away. Th decal adhesion with these Italeri decals is horrible.

I am going to finish it, but I feel nothing for this model anymore!

IMG_3515.JPG

I've been looking at the Tamiya offering of this kit too and the sprues all look exactly the same, however the Tamiya decals are totally different and the painting guides are much more comprehensive and accurate.
For £10 more I'd go for the Tamiya over this one!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, agree with the guys. Push it over the line. If you don’t you’ll always regret it.....it is looking splendid by the way!

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks chaps! Getting there!

I've been busily working on the array of doors on this one and have them installed. I've also given it a grimey clay wash. Since there are very few panel lines and they are already highlighted with the paint I'm leaving it at that.

Barring a single decal, the wheels and the exhaust this is finished. Phase 2 yet to start!

IMG_3524.JPG
IMG_3525.JPG
IMG_3526.JPG
IMG_3527.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks chaps! Getting there!

I've been busily working on the array of doors on this one and have them installed. I've also given it a grimey clay wash. Since there are very few panel lines and they are already highlighted with the paint I'm leaving it at that.

Barring a single decal, the wheels and the exhaust this is finished. Phase 2 yet to start!

View attachment 408085
View attachment 408086
View attachment 408087
View attachment 408088
HI Chris well im not a fan of these lightnings as i liked the E -E LIGHTNING far better but you have made a wonderfull job on this plane you must have the patience of a saint to get all them zigzag lines right very well done
from another chris :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looking good Chris, almost there :thumb2:
I took this one of my list for now, too much masking misery :smiling5:
Have fun finishing it!
Steven

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Looking good Chris, almost there :thumb2:
I took this one of my list for now, too much masking misery :smiling5:
Have fun finishing it!
Steven

Thanks Steven! Honestly, take a look at the Tamiya boxing if you want one of these; the panels are all decals. But then I suppose that depends on whether you can stomach decals!

1608369640500.png

First Name
Manuel
It´s looking really good! What a nice job on the zigzag lines. Looking forward for the finished model. Congratulations

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just caught up on this one Chris, and some fantastic work going on. Great fix on the spillage, and top work with the masking. The whole thing is looking very nice indeed.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thank you Ian.

I'm not 100% happy with it, but then I never am. 1 out 10 being a turkey isn't a bad ratio I suppose!

It'll be fine once it's mounted.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Chris. A difficult subject, but you're nearly there. The Tamiya version may be better with the decals, the other 1/72 one to look for is Hasegawa's kit which also incudes those decals.