Italeri 1/72 F-35 B Lightning II

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Morning all.

Whilst my current project waits for everyone to get up so I can run the compressor, I thought I'd make a start on something else.

This is the new Italeri F-35 that comes in three schemes, one of which is the new HMS Elizabeth wing, which is what I'll be doing.
This is a facinating aircraft to me because of it's VTOL capabilities which is something that aptured my imagination as a child when I saw a harrier for the first time and I have a plan to capture that with this build.

Unusually for me too I am going to attempt some figure painting, so that should be an interesting experiment!

This is the 5th build since I last blogged one so I hope it's interesting enough to provoke some feedback, which is always welcomed and appreciated.

So far I have the four part seat glued and the four part tub assembled. I'll glue the tub in to the top half of the fuselage since the cockpit is very open and I'll be able to reach everything with the airbrush.

Box art:

IMG_3295.JPG

Only four sprues. Canopy is smoked and a whole sprue for stores:

IMG_3296.JPG

Where I am at:

IMG_3297.JPG

Aftermarket pilots from PJ Productions. These are 90's RAF pilots, but at this scale and with no contemporary offerings I figured it would be close enough. Once I ruin the detail with ham-fisted painting it won't matter anyway!

IMG_3298.JPG

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Chris. Nice choice I’ve been thinking of buying some old Italeri Wingys going to watch how this unfolds seated by Ian

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks like a great kit chris , i’ll be watching . Are you going to get one of the special paint sets for the stealth aircraft. I know that hataka do the silvery grey ‘Have glass grey’ in their US grey set as ive got that one .

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks chaps, welcome aboard.

Tony - I was going to stick with Vallejo and below is the colours referred in the instructions with my best attempts to match a VMA colour by the FS reference. Are the Hataka's more accurate? Are they acrylic?

If anyone has any better suggestions for the colour matches I'd appreciate any opinions.

IMG_3299.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The Hataka red line series are acrylic and formulated for airbrush chris . I got the USAF /USN/ USMC greys paint set which has eight greys all used on modern us aircraft and includes the slightly metallic ‘ have glass grey’ used on f35s etc . I got my set off ebay for about £18 , not bad really , just over two quid a bottle . The advantage of these sets Is they contain all the specific colours you need for a particular scheme .
heres a screenshot of the one I got , hth cheers tonyECDF3993-F8B0-4DF0-A018-FABE4ABB2B18.png

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I've had a dig about and I thnk Valejo 71.097 is good for FS36118 Gunship Grey and 71.050 for FS36300 Light Ghost Grey, both of which I have!

Do you rate the hataka range?

One thing I think I will need is the eduard surface panel mask set.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive used them on a few builds recently and ive found them very good . They spray nicely straight from the bottle , but need a couple of thin coats as some of the colours can be a little translucent. They dry to a nice sheen and the newer bottles all come with a ball bearing inside to help with mixing . Cheers tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI i love my aircraft an there is not many i dont like but this F35 i just cant seem to take to as i cant understand why the cockpit leans forward when open an that big flap that open up on take off for the fan as its solid an must cause a certain amount of drag i would have thought it would have been a mesh like hatch so the air can pass through but please tell me im wrong on this an one single engine if it flames out then down it goes but a twin engine aircraft there is still one engine to keep the plane up in the air SORRY to be negative on this aircraft but thats how ive felt since the first time i see it but dont let me spoil your build carry on an i may take to it
chris

Swagman 070

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Have this in my stash. Going to follow this build closely.
Steve

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks Tony. I'll keep that in mind and I'll maybe give them a go in the future.

Chris - I was the same at first but it's grown on me. That big flap covers the vertical thruster bit at the front and is presumabley only open during vertical maneouvres. Also it would arguably create more drag in standard flight if it were meshed. I'm no aircraft engineer though, I just build them how they are! There are plenty of old navy aircraft that are worse too, but there is elegance in ugliness!

Steve - I'll do my best not to put you off! So far so good. The tub and seat fit very well and the tub slotted right in to place without any bother at all. Italeri have a patchy reputation but I'm hoping this is different.

Eduard masks ordered...along with a 'bulker' that I'll have to sneak past the missus...

Swagman 070

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Tony. I'll keep that in mind and I'll maybe give them a go in the future.

Chris - I was the same at first but it's grown on me. That big flap covers the vertical thruster bit at the front and is presumabley only open during vertical maneouvres. Also it would arguably create more drag in standard flight if it were meshed. I'm no aircraft engineer though, I just build them how they are! There are plenty of old navy aircraft that are worse too, but there is elegance in ugliness!

Steve - I'll do my best not to put you off! So far so good. The tub and seat fit very well and the tub slotted right in to place without any bother at all. Italeri have a patchy reputation but I'm hoping this is different.

Eduard masks ordered...along with a 'bulker' that I'll have to sneak past the missus...
Cheers Chris, Not a big fan of their kits either!

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
'Back in the day' they were one of the few manufacturers that the little (now long gone) model shop in my home town would stock that offered all the helicopters I wanted to build so I used to build loads of Italeri, along with Hasegawa US Navy kits. I remember the fit being terrible, having to spend lots of time cleaning off flash and seams and the decals taking an absolute age to release from the backing.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Beavering away at this over the past week, in between waiting for paint to dry on my other project.

Cockpit is simple. I took some liberties and am not looking for accuracy since it'll have a pilot and the closed canopy is smoked. The interior on the real things is very simple too. Apparently this thing flies itself...:surprised:

IMG_3312.png

Here's my attempt at painting the PJ pilot, again an approximation is good enough at this scale and with the canopy closed most of the definition will be obscured.

IMG_3315.png

Finally the cockpit assembled and a dry fit of the canopy. The canopy will need a little work to fit properly, which I was desperately hoping to avoid. Oh well. :disappointed:

IMG_3317.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
'Back in the day' they were one of the few manufacturers that the little (now long gone) model shop in my home town would stock that offered all the helicopters I wanted to build so I used to build loads of Italeri, along with Hasegawa US Navy kits. I remember the fit being terrible, having to spend lots of time cleaning off flash and seams and the decals taking an absolute age to release from the backing.
HI Chris personly i dont mind Italeri kits as they have some good ideas in the kits my merlin helo on my HMS NORFOLK is a Italeri kit an what i loved about that was it was made to all come to bits so the main cabin just clipped togeather an that was very handy for me as i wanted to fit in the main rotors motor an havein it working an so to take apart again for servicein an i found it a very good fit an any flash was just cut off as thats what modeling all about makin the kit an havin fun to see if it all turns out ok
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nice work Chris on the pilot an the canopy looks great but why oh why they made it tip forwards i just cannot understand :thumb2:
chris

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
...thats what modeling all about makin the kit an havin fun to see if it all turns out ok...

Absolutely right. Cleaning up parts is no big deal, it's just nice when it's not necessary. Like vacuuming. Do I enjoy it? Not really. Do I wish the carpet would do it by itself? YES.

Nice work Chris on the pilot an the canopy looks great but why oh why they made it tip forwards i just cannot understand :thumb2:
chris

Thanks, I thought it looked ok. The pose is off because the F-35 control stick is to the right instead of central and he can't quite reach it, so he is mid button press!
As to why the canopy hinges forward, I have no clue. I imagine they needed to relocate the mechanism to make space for the turbine. Whatever the reason I quite like it and it's largely inconsequential.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Have been working on the internal subs for the engines and landing gear. All cleaned up and primed.

Only issue here was some injection marks on the inside of the intakes and the vertical vent. I checked and checked and reasoned you'd only see them if you went looking for them, but decided in the end that I knew they were there and that was enough for me to get rid of them.

The fit of everything so far is perfect. The seams on the landing gear legs and rams were hefty and took a little time to clean up, but otherwise I can't fault it up to this point.

IMG_3357.JPG