Italeri 1/72 Goshawk - stash find finished.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm calling this finished...................P1060381.JPGP1060382.JPGP1060383.JPGP1060384.JPG

This was built, partly to see if I had solved my problems with white primer and masking - it did!
The model is pretty simple, but well fitting - it's not all that common, mint boxed items seem to change hands at quite high prices. The instructions called for fluorescent red - I tried this, but it didn't look right. I used Vallejo Game Air 'Bloody Red' over Vallejo Red Primer - and I think this looks better!
Thanks for dropping by...........
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The model is pretty simple, but well fitting - it's not all that common, mint boxed items seem to change hands at quite high prices.
I think they'll cost even more if many people see that result Dave!
Glad you overcame the primer problem.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Missed the build but the end result looks great. Not seen this built before.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I quite fancy a T-2C Buckeye, the predecessor to the Goshawk - Matchbox did a really basic model in 1/72. Wolf Pack also do one in 1/72, but at a price approaching the Special Hobby version in 1/48! I'll have to lurk on ebay....................
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

Came out great, and good to know you've licked that primer issue.

My Vallejo primers are now residing at the back of a drawer and won't see the light of day unless I need a bulk undercoat on a diorama or something.

D

Deleted member 7181

Ah, of course, I remember now. I'd had the same issues with Vallejo lifting which what brought them to mind.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking good, it’s a straightforward and somewhat plain aircraft, but with those colours it’s sure to stand out :smiling3:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Very nice one Dave and great to read the primer issues have been resolved :thumb2: .

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely job dave , the paintwork looks great. I reckon your interpretation of the red is spot on , cheers tony

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
This was yet another new aircraft type for me and you made a lovely job of it Dave.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Guys,
I'm flattered ( and surprised ) that so many of you have viewed, liked, and commented on the build, and the finished article. It's a very simple model, and when it was first released, it must have been almost in the 'pocket money' category - it can't have been a big seller, judging by it's relative scarcity.
Thanks for dropping by - and keep an eye out for some more less-than-common things from my stash ( there are quite a few! )
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it can't have been a big seller, judging by it's relative scarcity.
Could be because it’s a trainer, which aren’t generally considered very sexy as such, not to mention an American one from a manufacturer that’s bigger in Europe than in the USA. Had they released it as a Hawk T1 in Red Arrows scheme, I suspect it would have sold very well, not just in the UK. (I know, the T-45 differs in a lot of ways from a T1 — what I mean is if Italeri had done a slightly different model instead.)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jakko,
the Goshawk has a slightly different fuselage to the Hawk ( and beefed up undercarriage ) - the nosewheel bay is further back, there are speedbrakes. and small 'finlets' either side of the rear fuselage and a tailhook added. Italeri modded their moulds slightly for the Goshawk, but it is essentiaily the same as the standard Hawk trainer - The Italeri Hawk has been sold as the 'Red Arrows' variant and reboxed by Revell, and surprisingly by Tamiya -it's final iteration ( so far ) is the Hawk 100 - I have both an Italeri Hawk original, and a Revell repop in the stash.............
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I know, that’s why I added the bit in parentheses to my post :smiling3: