Italeri 1/72 Matilda

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hi all. Finished this one this morning. I didn't do a build log as it lurched from one diaster to another! As a result it's taken nearly three weeks. First of all it needed a lot of filing and fettling to make it fit together at all. Then I had to pull it apart because I'd forgotten to put the driver in. Then one of the tracks snapped. Then to cap it all when I gave it a coat of gloss before adding the decals the paint on the side plates went all bubbly. And I had to scrap the decals anyway because they just disintegrated in the water. Too old I suppose. Anyway, the final result isn't actually as bad as I thought it was going to be! The Caunter scheme is brush painted using Mike Starmer's mixes for Humbrol enamels. Then I gave the whole thing a dark brown wash, followed by a liberal application of homemade weathering pigments (powered pastels mixed with white spirit) which seems to have hidden the worst of the varnish disaster. The figures are from AB and the base had been kicking about in a box for decades. I think it's from the Matchbox Pz II.

_20191020_131040.JPG_20191020_131121.JPG_20191020_131101.JPG_20191020_131144.JPG

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sounds like you have had some fun and games with this beauty :smiling2: Well I'm glad you stuck with it Alex as the final look is a good one. Thanks for sharing

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Cheers chaps! I definitely had some fun and games with this one! Learnt a couple of valuable lessons too, if I am ever tempted to try painting this scheme again I will:

a) Use acrylics.
b) Buy an airbrush.
c) Pick an easier subject.
d) Question my sanity.
e) Pray that someone convinces me not to.

Glad you've all enjoyed it though!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

A superb result Alex - well worth the trouble it gave you.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well despite your troubles, it looks great.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks guys! Mark, it came close to being launched a couple of times I can tell you! Glad I stuck with it though.