Italeri 1/72 Savoia Marchetti S-79 Sparviero - Rhodes 1941

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A great kit. Brush painted throughout using Vallejo model Air acrylics. Excellent decals.
Slight weathering with a rough application of Dk. Grey.

A bit of history to this particular aircraft.
After the crew selection process had been completed, to their delight, the captain and co. pilot found out that in peace time they lived in coastal towns but few miles from each other and had a fishing boat. As a result, the pilot asked the Station Commander if they could have a bit of art on their aircraft to remind them of happier times fishing, The reply was "Pretty pictures are for children, not fighting men!"
Not to be outdone, the pilot approached the station 'Artist' with a plan.
The chap readily agreed and quietly went to work on Sparviero 278-3.

Can you spot his artwork? No prizes, just the joy of knowing you're a smart a**e!

Here's the finished aircraft.
P1260777 (3).JPG

P1260773.JPG

P1260778 (2).JPG

P1260782 (2).JPG

P1260783.JPG

P1260787.JPG

P1260789.JPG

P1260791.JPG

P1260813.JPG

P1260815.JPG

P1260814.JPG

P1260817.JPG

P1260818.JPG

P1260830.JPG

P1260819.JPG

P1260832.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,

Amazing job - watching Blue Peter really paid off for you then!!!! ;) :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:
:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Fish eye and open mouth below the top gunner position both sides of fuselage????
Or am I making faces from random patterns????
Time to have a lie down me thinks.

Paul.
:smiling2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
I'm chuffed you like the finished model.

Sorry Paul, no cookie this time. Random pattern, me thinks, but a mighty fine effort.... ;)

i suppose the goats have had to retreat back up 'Happy Valley' now?

Ron

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Ron that's one fine model Great camo I don't know how you did it you must have the patients of a saint. One to be proud of :thumb2: :thumb2:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'm looking via my phone, which is a bit rubbish. But from what I can see, I would say it's a splendid result.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i suppose the goats have had to retreat back up 'Happy Valley' now?

No the goats still wander around now and then - although there are a few more vehicles and people walking around.

We are still in lock-down this side of the border.

Unlike our English counterparts - the Welsh Gov. see fit to keep all our shops, bars and restaurants closed.
There are only a small number of cafe's open for takeaway - no public toilets or rubbish bins and all the car parks in Snowdonia are still closed. :rolling:

Paul.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Outstanding result. The photography is also excellent. Is 'Happy Valley' a real place? My wife & I enjoyed the TV series. PaulE

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron, quite simply stunning!! Very well done indeed!!

A top quality job!!!

ATB

Andrew

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Fabulous! You did really oughta bring that to Cosford for us to see in all it's 3D technicolour detail!

No good me looking for subtle artwork - I didn't even spot the wounds on your recent Japanese soldiers!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wow! Thanks ever so much for all your most excellent posts. All much appreciated.... :thumb2:

Any takers on the 'Art Work'?

Is 'Happy Valley' a real place? My wife & I enjoyed the TV series. PaulE

Thanks Paul.
Yes, 'Happy Valley' is a real place. It cuts into The Great Orme, a rocky headland at the sea side town of LLandudno, North Wales. You should be able to google it.
When I first went there on a chuff chuff, way back in the late '50's, it was just a lovely, very steep, meandering garden full of semi tropical plants and shrubs, at the bottom of which open air concerts used to play, whilst folks used to sit on the grass and gaze out to sea listening to the music. At the top was just a grazing field.

Then the field became a 'Pitch and Putt' golf course.

Now it is a full blown ski slope. A tobbogan track and a very nice cafe. Oh, and at the very bottom of the valley is a horrendously expensive cable car which takes you to the Orme's 'summit' and cafe.

Way back, one had to walk up to the top of the valley. now cars are allowed to go up to the cafe. I'm afraid It's rather trashed the whole atmosphere of a once quite corner of what is still a lovely town. Still worth a trundle up - on foot, mind.....

Thanks again all.

Ron

D

Deleted member 7181

Stunning Ron.

That camo is a thing of beauty, and the dolphin must put a smile on his face every time he boards.

Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Andy.

...and we have winner! Well done that lad, it is indeed a dolphin I painted on the left of the doorway.

P1260834.JPG

Sorry Andy, as I wrote, no prizes, but you are now the official quiz smart a**e!

Warm congratulations.... :smiling4:

Yours,
Wilfred and Mable Pickles

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Oh, and at the very bottom of the valley is a horrendously expensive cable car which takes you to the Orme's 'summit' and cafe.

Stop hijacking you're own thread - trying to sell Llandudno - there's enough people here already!!!!!! :flushed: :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:

Paul there is also a tram - Britain's only passenger carrying cable hauled road tram - all the way to the summit as well !! :cool:

Paul.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,
Excellent result and top marks to Andy for spotting the artwork. I looked at the pictures a few times and couldn't see anything.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Very impressive model. The camo painting is a real treat to see. Well spotted Andy.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great posts fellas. I'm so glad you all approve of my airyplain.

Paul there is also a tram - Britain's only passenger carrying cable hauled road tram - all the way to the summit as well !! :cool:
Paul.
Paul, I didn't mention the tram, as last time I rode it, I was frightened to death - 'specially coming back down!

Thank goodness there was a Wetherspoons close at hand!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent job that man , a beast of a camo scheme done superbly . I spotted the dolphin but Andy beat me to it by four hours ! It’s inspired me to start looking for something Italian , and I’m trying not to add to the stash ! Cheers tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 congratulation from all at Race Towers.
Perfection in every way.

God I bl**dy hate your ability with back grounds and photos. :smiling3: