Italeri 1/9 Triumph 3HW

F

Fenlander

IMG_0035.JPG

Decided to make a start on this one as I also get the Bismarck onto the chocks. This is a fascinating machine and the resemblance, or at least pedigree, to a Tiger Cub I had for a very short time brings back some happy, if oily, memories. To be honest, if I had the skill, I would convert this to a civilian bike but I don't. However, a compromise is possible.

One of the options is a 'Factory Fresh' bike. This is painted as above but only carries the Triumph logo on the tank. As far as I can accertain, the Triumph logo on the box art wouldn't have been left on once issued to a unit where the units markings would have been added. I want to show it is how it would have been supplied from the Triumph factory to the Army.

This gives me the opportunity to present it clean and fresh, sporting the famous logo yet still depict it as a military bike. This does mean that there will not be a place for the Sten Gun that comes with it but, to be honest it is no loss, not as good as the Tommy gun that comes with the Harley Davidson.

So, if you are interested, keep watching for a very clean army bike ;)

First Name
Gwyn
Looks like a really good model Graham. I think I will follow your progress with a lot of interest.

P

phikoleoputra

Looking forward to this Graham, just last night I was looking to buy this at Evilbay lol.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Looks like a really good model Graham,will be looking forward to this build,so I,m tagging along,;)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
look forward to this cos its a kit id really like

F

Fenlander

Thanks again guys. This is no Tamiya kit but I never expected it to be. However, I still think it will be a nice model when done.

Early, pre 1944 were mostly Khaki Green No3, I am using Mig A.MIG-113. At some point they changed to British Olive Green. I will be doing the Harley in Olive so this Khaki Green will make a nice contrast. Lots of debate about British Khaki Green No3. Some say it is almost brown, some say the Mig colour is about right. I say life it to short to worry about such things......

Some early models would have had an alloy cylinder head as per the civilian bikes which were requisitioned but due to a shortage of aluminium, a cast iron head was used. The variances as to what was painted green and what was left aluminium or even chrome varies so much. The waters are, like most things, muddied by incorrect restorations made from later civilian parts as well as originals. I would assume many original frames had later engines fitted. Again, life is too short so I am doing what I think will make a pleasing model.

Progress is a bit slow but the engine is in the front half of the frame. Bit of touching up needed when it has fully set.
DSC_0102.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great ,Graham,real do like the contrast in colors,from steel to aluminum,very nice work,;)

P

Polux

Nice work Graham.
This one is on the way to become a great build ;)

F

Fenlander

_20170111_154657.JPG Slow progress as usual. Got the rear frame section on and the gear box in. Have to say, the gearbox put up a valiant fight but I still managed to get it in;)

F

Fenlander

It is starting to look like a motorbike. Lot of prep work needed on this kit so I am literally cleaning up, priming and painting each section as I go. Slow work but it is paying off. Thankfully the spruces are starting to look a bit bare so the end may well be in sight :smiling3:

DSC_0106.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Methodical - its the only way!:p;):smiling3::cool:

Looking good!:cool:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I do like the bright work on this, what is it you are using again?
Looks very convincing but not false like the kit chrome.
Often looked at one of these......Dont tempt me.

F

Fenlander

The exhaust is the Crome from AK, it is much like Alclad to use. The polished alloy case is AK Matt Aluminium but the dull crankcase and gearbox case is Alclad Dull Aluminium. The AK is too shiny for rough cast alloy.

F

Fenlander

That's it for today and it finally is starting to look like a proper motorbike, albeit a very rickety one at the moment. Certainly no Tamiya kit as I have said before but it has a certain charm :rolleyes:

DSC_0108.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

F

Fenlander

Colour looks off in these shots, messed up the lighting a bit