outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Started on this tonight.
49897392371_ee6dbf16b0_b.jpg
49992310273_288a87555c_b.jpg
49992310473_4edb6b443e_b.jpg
Looks to be a reasonable build with the usual bit of care to get all the axles lined up.
49992299673_53c5cc6cbc_b.jpg
I am thinking of going with the alternative green/black /brown camo scheme, but that may change.

Andy.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andy. A very nice choice I’ve had my eye on one of these on eBay for awhile. Looks like I’m in the front row and I’ll be watching closely good luck

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I built the M977 version (with load bed) when it was fairly new, and remember thinking it was a very good kit let down mainly by the tyres. This one probably is much improved in that regard, going by the box top and sprue shots.

There used to be a bunch of resin upgrade sets for this kit, by Belgian manufacturer Pro Art Models. I had this kit with one or two of those (given to me by someone else, the plastic bits partly built), but sold them on some years ago. The resin bits certainly looked like a great improvement, but getting hold of them nowadays may be a bit of a problem.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes, this kit has upgaded wheels and tyres, wrong number of bolts on the wheels if you are a rivet counter. It still suffers a bit from a few typical Italeri badly fitting parts but nothing that can not be fixed. I did get a PE set for this model but I think it was a waste of money as very little of it will be seen.

Andy.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I know I check the axles with a straight edge when glueing them on but it's nice to fit the wheels just to make sure they are all touching.
49999313666_cbe515bae2_b.jpg
I have now decided that I can fit and remove all the big lumps on the chassis easily so I am going to build virtually all of it before painting, will probably make painting easier as well.
49999313866_f44b241935_b.jpg
Famous last words.

Andy.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another clean modeller I see, how do you guys manage it I shall never know.
All 8 wheels on the ground as well, that's a bonus in its self, well done Andy.
I shall take a seat and watch closely.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andy thanks for the chassis shot I see it has a Hendrickson suspension I agree with John nice clean build

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have done as much as possible without painting starting with the cab parts, it would be nice if kit makers made the windows fit from the outside as it would make construction easier, well, that is my opinion other opinions are available.
50002710556_23f252dcb5_b.jpg
50002190863_350ae2833f_b.jpg
Tomorrow I shall be mostly on my bike, that is if the weather forecast is right, so not much progress with models.

Andy.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andy. Lots of progress and looking good. Any problems with the build yet?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it would be nice if kit makers made the windows fit from the outside as it would make construction easier
IIRC from when I built it, I put most of the cab together with only the front panel and roof left off, which allowed me to fit the windows after painting the rest without too many joints having to be glued afterward.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy. Lots of progress and looking good. Any problems with the build yet?
No real problems, the front steering link rods were a tiny bit too short and one of the shocks had the fixing pin on the wrong side . I also had to slightly modify the handrail on the tank to get it to look right but those things are not really what you would call problems, just little annoyances that are easily fixed.

Andy.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I got all the big bits painted last night and I think it looks OK, obviously there are some more things to do like mudflaps, wheels, steps etc.
50010556167_6d7c65ee4c_b.jpg

50009764528_7250e97f71_b.jpg

As it stands nothing is glued on as I just put it together to see what it looked like, now all I have to do is add the black and brown camo, that should be fun, but it may be easier if I do it while I can still break it down into handy size lumps, we shall see.

Andy.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
Sorry late to the party. That is a great build very neat and logical. It is an interesting chassis with so many variants. The tanker being one of my favourites.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sometimes I wonder why I bother, spent about 2 hours trying to mask the camo on this model and all I have succeeded in doing is making marks on the paintwork. As the european camo is above my limited skill the only option left is to paint it the desert colour, but that would mean masking the windows and as I use very little glue on them I know what would happen there, one or more of them would fall in. Once again I am thinking of fitting it in the bin, off now for a long think about things.......................I may be some time.

Andy.